Buck

LAOSfan

Maybe you should watch more press conferences.

He's always fairly gruff with the press, win or lose, usually worse after losses though.

It's what got him run out of NY.

The press in Baltimore has little to no influence on him in Baltimore though which makes it that much more absurd he can't answer their softball questions without being gruff.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I disagree. I enjoy his press conferences because I always seem to learn something.

He never gets too high after a win, and he never gets too low after a loss. Watch some of the other managers at their press conferences. Most don't reveal much and act as though the media is out to get them.

He's always fairly gruff with the press, win or lose, usually worse after losses though.

The press in Baltimore has little to no influence on him in Baltimore though which makes it that much more absurd he can't answer their softball questions without being gruff.

I have to disagree with you on getting run out of NY.

My memory seams to recall that George got his ban from baseball revoked and it allowed him back to meddle with the team. George demanded Buck fire his coaching staff and replace them. Buck declined that suggestion and was dismissed.

I have to disagree with you on getting run out of NY.

My memory seams to recall that George got his ban from baseball revoked and it allowed him back to meddle with the team. George demanded Buck fire his coaching staff and replace them. Buck declined that suggestion and was dismissed.

Of course this is true. Some people like to make things up about Buck. I am sure he has had many flaws. Being disloyal to his men is not one of them.

Members of the press have told me personally that they love working with Buck. Several, not one, not two, not three...

Any speculation? Maybe DD informing him not to expect any major help coming to aid the already beleaguered pitching staff?

There were definitely a few things to frustrate him along the way... forgetting that Machado let his emotions get the better of him (and aside from Little's botched call at first the night before, I don't know why... it was a clean strikeout), you had Jones voluntarily giving up a runner at second by assuming he was out, and to me the worst was Ishikawa watching a 2-2 pitch, down by a run with runners on 2nd and 3rd, 1 out, and getting rung up with the bat on his shoulders. Things like that probably take a week off Buck's life.

I don't think any of those things were what was bothering Buck. All small potatoes. He gave me the impression he had had it, and wanted to resign. Of course he isn't, but that is the level of the anger he seemed to be sitting on.

Maybe you should read my post. I watched quite a few last season and seasons prior, as well as this ST. The only reason I made this post was because I noticed such a marked change from then.

Can you provide some examples? What the heck does the bolded part even mean? You said he bullied the press. That is very different than bullying the press. If he was super nice to reporters all the time then you would complain that he was kissing their butts. You really want a manager who is influenced by the press? That's ridiculous.

Buck is not responsible for all that is good with the team. He makes mistakes. No doubt about it. But your criticism is obviously biased and very weak. You offer almost no specifics and especially specifics relative to other realistic options for decisions, etc.

Can you provide some examples? What the heck does the bolded part even mean? You said he bullied the press. That is very different than bullying the press. If he was super nice to reporters all the time then you would complain that he was kissing their butts. You really want a manager who is influenced by the press? That's ridiculous.

Buck is not responsible for all that is good with the team. He makes mistakes. No doubt about it. But your criticism is obviously biased and very weak. You offer almost no specifics and especially specifics relative to other realistic options for decisions, etc.

Agreed, especially in light of the posts that Weams about how well the press gets along with him.

I think your interpretation of my view is absurd. Buck does plenty of good things.

Starting flaherty in motion multiple times with Mclouth at the plate lead to some scores, that was a great managerial decision.

I also think he pulled gonzo at exactly the right time.

I give buck credit when credit is due, he had a very good game tonight. But I also criticize him when he deserves it. I thought bringing in Johnson for a third night was a really bad decision before he'd ever thrown a pitch.

I call it like I see it. I still like buck overall as a manager, I think his strong suit is motivating his players and getting the most out of his guys. I think he stands up for his team and they really respect him for it and I do too.

I just don't think he's fantastic at bullpen management and knowing when to get starters and when to leave them in. It's just my opinion. It doesn't mean I dislike him or want anyone else managing our team.

Fair enough?

Thanks for the clarification. You were over the top in previous posts (e.g., "how many homers did he it?", etc.). I appreciate this answer.

P.s. I care almost zero about how a manager interacts with the press. I appreciate a few insights and I appreciate humor and a little entertainment, but I enjoy watching a truly professional and competitive team a heck of a lot more than a manager talking to reporters.

Did they even have daily live televised pressers during his previous managing stints? What about when he managed Texas and Arizona?--let us know if you think his answers to the local media's questions in the clubhouse doomed him there as well.

Hypothetic question.

This is not something I want to happen or think will happen.

With that said, If you were DD and King Peter, and you were going to replace Buck at the end of the season.

Exactly who is available and willing to come in and manage this team, that would be an improvement?????

Hypothetic question.

This is not something I want to happen or think will happen.

With that said, If you were DD and King Peter, and you were going to replace Buck at the end of the season.

Exactly who is available and willing to come in and manage this team, that would be an improvement?????

You do remember that PA gave both Duquette and Buck five-year contracts that were announced together, right?

You do remember that PA gave both Duquette and Buck five-year contracts that were announced together, right?

Adam Jones, Dan Duquette, and Buck Showalter all leave after 2018. I doubt that Peter will be the person who chooses to replace any of them.

Archived