Team believes that Wieters will forego long-term deal

jabba72

It feels to me the opinion among O's fans has almost turned on Wieters (finally?). It would be interesting to see that "Is Wieters a Disappointment" thread brought up now. The opinions in this thread seem a lot more negative--and much less defensive against negative opinions--than they were in that one.

Maybe because this thread's OP reads as Wieters doesn't want to sign with us. That said, I'm a little surprised we haven't heard more vocality from the "intangible" Wieters crowd.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe because this thread's OP reads as Wieters doesn't want to sign with us. That said, I'm a little surprised we haven't heard more vocality from the "intangible" Wieters crowd.

I don't think there will be money to give him a big contract. He was 2nd on the list I believe in the Orioles minds to sign to a long term contract last season just behind Adam. They got his done but now Manny and Davis have past him as guys we need to lock up.

Unless Pete decides to start ponying up the money their may not be money for him to stay. I can't see how they could lock him up along with Davis and stay under 100 million especially with Manny going to be makking a ton of money in the next few years.

After he leaves. I want to hear what the bashers will be saying when the O's can't

find a decent catcher. Should be happy with what you have. He may not be that

easy to replace. They wanted him to be Johnny Bench. Very few catchers are as

good as he was. Matt is a damn good catcher. Best the O's ever had. Hope the

O's can win the WS with Matt on the team. IMO

It is interesting that at the end of last season all we heard was that Wieters wanted to stay. I think this is Boras posturing. I bet the Orioles have offered him some money, Boras is asking for the moon is unless that "drastically changes" he will walk.

In other words, this is classic Boras.

I bet a deal gets done next year.

Matt doesn't seem like the kind of guy who will try to hold the team hostage, regardless of who his agent is. That said, if he tries to okay hardball and goes the free agent route, well, I'll wish him well and enjoy his time as an Oriole. No way I overpay for Matt.

If I were the O's rep in this negotiation I would simply type this on a piece of paper and sit it in front of Boras:

Salary among MLB catchers: 10th

WAR among MLB catchers: 74th

.....so Scott you're here to discuss an extension for Matt. What are your terms?

The only thing that somewhat annoys me about this situation is that Buck got here and basically made Wieters the unofficial team captain. Early on, he made it clear how important Wieters was to the success of the club, and put a lot of emphasis on him. That's a huge opportunity for a player that was - I believe - in his third Major League season.

There's no loyalty requirement in pro sports as we all know. I'm sure he'll play his guts out each year he's here and entertain any offer the O's present. But he'll do what everyone else does, and take the most cash he can get. I don't think he's going to give the O's any kind of hometown discount, but unless he picks up his pace at the plate, he won't get the payday we all thought he might 5 years ago.

If anything, this could work in our favor. If he plays like this through 2015, he should be extremely affordable for a 4-5 year deal, and thus, an Oriole for life.

I'm sure that the O's can find a light hitting, defensive catcher at a decent rate moving forward. The big bucks need to be allocated to locking guys like Machado up early, or extending Crush... Wieters is a decent player, but not at all worth a big time extension when there are more important players on the roster to think about.

I would sign Manny today if we could. I'll be more serious about signing Davis at the end of this season. I want to see him keep it together for a full 162.

The Orioles may have been fortunate in holding off on an extension for the catcher given that Wieters is hitting just .231/.290/407 with 10 homers through 298 PA this season. Wieters carried a .260/.328/.421 career line into this season --- solid numbers for a catcher, but below expectations considering Wieters' high draft status (fifth overall in 2007) and his ranking as the sport's top prospect by Baseball America before the 2009 season.

Tend to agree. Given his bat, I'm not interesting in signing him long term unless its a very team friendly contract.

Like the kind of money one might pay to a 32 year old backup 1B hitting .230 with a little power.

Because that is unfortunately the type of player Wieters will be if his body doesn't last behind the plate and he can't find the stroke he rightfully should have.

After he leaves. I want to hear what the bashers will be saying when the O's can't

I agree Matt is damn good, he brings so much to the game with his behind the plate ability.

As for the best ever for the O's. Wow, not sure, I would go that far, how about top 3? :)

Matt is a damn good catcher. Best the O's ever had. Hope the

Chris Hoiles was better. Maybe not as good defensively (even though he wasn't a slouch), but he was far better with the bat. Wieters will likely never come close to replicating the 7 WAR season Hoiles had when he batted .310/.416/.585 and had 29 homers.

I'm fine with riding out Wieters' contract and then letting him walk. He's a good player, but the Orioles, with their limited resources, need to focus on other players.

Horse Hockey.

Catcher is probably the most important position on the field. You need a good captain that can keep the game in control, and the pitchers on track.

So, who do you propose replace him with? Teagarden????????????

I'm fine with riding out Wieters' contract and then letting him walk. He's a good player, but the Orioles, with their limited resources, need to focus on other players.

Horse Hockey.

Catcher is probably the most important position on the field. You need a good captain that can keep the game in control, and the pitchers on track.

So, who do you propose replace him with? Teagarden????????????

I'm reasonably certain we can find an adequate catcher or combination of catchers to give us adequte production and the baseball economics will probably make more sense than signing Wieters to a long term deal.

Archived