Team believes that Wieters will forego long-term deal

jabba72

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think the underlying point is that the sides are too far apart on money...which makes perfect sense to me from either side of this issue. Boras is his agent.

It would if the O's were low balling, but I don't believe Mr. Angelos is going to lowball Wieters. IF the O's low balled intentionally, it was because of Boras. That's just wrong. Both sides are going to get hurt because of this. Just get it done, and tell Mr. Boras to go you know where.

It would if the O's were low balling, but I don't believe Mr. Angelos is going to lowball Wieters. IF the O's low balled intentionally, it was because of Boras. That's just wrong. Both sides are going to get hurt because of this. Just get it done, and tell Mr. Boras to go you know where.

I don't think its lowballing as much as offering him what he's worth. Boras though will look at the Molina contract (5 years, 75 million) and will want more than that, which is obviously absurd. Theres no reason for the Orioles to significantly overpay for Wieters when we have high priority guys to lock up.

I'm not really sure how much I care. His bat just doesn't seem like it's ever going to play outside of catcher, his body is large, so how long will he be a good defensive catcher... that bat just isn't developing for some reason.

But I think it could be one of those things where he leaves and even .250 with 20 home runs seems like a luxury we wish we had back again.

I'm fine with just letting him walk after 2015. We'll get his best years. Someone else will overpay for the 30-34 years. Save the money for the real franchise players like Davis and Machado.

Agreed. This is where I've come on the Wieters' situation as well.

We'll realize how privileged we were once he's gone; and the struggle to find a catcher with both solid defense and something positive with the bat will be maddening. But letting him walk is the smartest thing.

We'll realize how privileged we were once he's gone; and the struggle to find a catcher with both solid defense and something positive with the bat will be maddening. But letting him walk is the smartest thing.

It seems like every year he fails to pop offensively his long term value goes down. As solid as his reputation is defensively and as a game caller, nobody's going to pay him the 9 figures we all thought he'd command at some point. Let him test the market and then resign with us for 5/60 because he likes playing here and cant get any more money elsewhere.

Yep. :agree:

If Matt is listening to Boras, then definitely. I would think the O's are offering a fair value, which is why I find the whole negotiation confusing. Matt should know what his fair value is, and that he's not done as well we thought. Matt knows the O's are fair and great place to play ball. This smells like Boras, and if Matt is buying into it he should walk. Good riddance. Let's not overlook how other players bats seem to get better when they are negotiating! Boras has nothing and the O's aren't unreasonable. Just get it done or walk away.

It feels to me the opinion among O's fans has almost turned on Wieters (finally?). It would be interesting to see that "Is Wieters a Disappointment" thread brought up now. The opinions in this thread seem a lot more negative--and much less defensive against negative opinions--than they were in that one.

I do think this reaction is interesting. Wieters has without a doubt failed to reach the lofty unattainable expectations that were placed on him by us as well as many others both inside and out of the organization. However, I think some, though not all, of the comments above are equally failing to appreciate what we would be losing.

Personally, there is plenty of time here for there to be a deal that is smart for both sides. And I do agree that the Orioles are smart not to force a deal. They have leverage and I think that only increases from here. Matt is having the type of career that will look so much better in hindsite if he stays with one team. Particularly a successful one.

It's been talked about before but he never really lived up to his billing. But he's under contract for the remainder of this year and all of 2014 and 2015 at which time he can work with the Orioles look at the options. The team can see what he puts up for the next 2 1/2 seasons and act accordingly; sign him up for another burst or shake hands and wish him well.

I'm sure that the O's can find a light hitting, defensive catcher at a decent rate moving forward. The big bucks need to be allocated to locking guys like Machado up early, or extending Crush... Wieters is a decent player, but not at all worth a big time extension when there are more important players on the roster to think about.

I'm sure that the O's can find a light hitting, defensive catcher at a decent rate moving forward. The big bucks need to be allocated to locking guys like Machado up early, or extending Crush... Wieters is a decent player, but not at all worth a big time extension when there are more important players on the roster to think about.

:agree:

I don't want to lose him, but I'd rather lose him than give him a huge deal. Re-signing him is pretty far down my priorities list.

This is the part of baseball I simply don't understand. What leverage does Matt Weiters have that he can dictate not accepting a long term deal. Considering his hitting ability has gone in the toilet and hit pitch selection has been questionable on numerous occasions, how can he be so confident to say he doesn't want a long term deal. Heck, he should say yes before a GM finishes any sentence involving a long term deal.

Given the option of locking up Weiters or Jim Presley long term, which would you rather see in an O's uniform for the next 5-6 years?

Archived