Roberts Trade News Thread

McLovin

Don't be surprised to see some pitching moved in other trades;)

Are we talking sweeteners to send with Millar, Payton, etc? Or someone like Cabrera or Guthrie or Patton being dealt for a young hitter?

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't be surprised to see some pitching moved in other trades;)

I won't be surprised at all, in fact, I hope that happens. Beyond Bedard, we have Cabrera, Loewen, Guthrie, Olson, Penn, Albers, Patton, Gallagher, Marshall and Liz. That's a glut, and I'd expect to see at least one guy go in order to upgrade the offensive side. Remember we also have a nice crop of pitchers at Bowie and Frederick.

Getting to my opinion of the trade, the talent received is sufficient, but we need to make further trades for this one to make sense, for the reason I just gave. Whether this is a solid trade or a great one depends on how Cedeno turns out. Is he the .620 OPS guy he has been in the majors, or the .720 OPS guy he has been in the minors, or the .900 OPS guy he has been at AAA? My guess is that he settles in at the .725-.750 range, but that may take a couple of years to find out. I have questions about his defense, but I need to see him in action.

Well, the reaction that I've seen from other fans is that the Cubs really got one over on us and that we should be embarrassed by this trade.

I don't really agree with this, because it's not like Brian Roberts is the best 2b in the game. We couldnt expect them to give up a bunch of top 5 prospects

Here's some distant information that I'll share -- a friend of a friend who works in the warehouse just e-mailed me and said that this deal is not yet finalized.

If it IS finalized, I must say I'm a bit bummed out. Brian is really the face of the Orioles and it hurts to lose him. I understand that painful moves have to be made to improve the team, and I do support dealing Roberts. But it's not easy.

I don't know much about the involved players, but it looks like we got a pretty good haul for him. I like Cedeno.

There are a lot of opinions on this trade all over the place so let's use this thread to discuss the merits of the trades. It's ok to cut and paste your posts from another thread if had put a lot of work into something.

What are your thoughts on the players coming back? Did AM get enough? Did he get the right players? Why no Murton or Pie?

I personally think this is a bad deal .... Hate to say it but did AM owe Hendry one from the past. I dont look at a clump of 15 3-5 starters as a good thing when they have so many other holes!

Even if they get Jones & Trunifel (who's not close to ready).. What about the gaping whole up the middle. Cedeno is said to have a great glove ... But a seriuos down grade at the plate. Also who is the lead-off hitter now??? Patterson or Chen (in the M's deal) at least would give us a #1 slot hitter.

I won't be surprised at all, in fact, I hope that happens. Beyond Bedard, we have Cabrera, Loewen, Guthrie, Olson, Penn, Albers, Patton, Gallagher, Marshall and Liz.

I dont know if you were watching the same games I was but Liz is no where close to being ready.

He looked so over matched!

Just thought others might like to read what others are saying. These comments are from MLB Trade Rumors.

Posted by: hkgiantsfan | January 09, 2008 at 08:05 AM

Hmmm..seems just a bit fishy for now, but we'll see. You know I'll be checking for updates. A lot!

Posted by: CubFan81 | January 09, 2008 at 08:07 AM

The O's seem to get the TRADING AWAY TALENT part of rebuilding. Not so much the GETTING YOUNG TALENT BACK part. Whatever. 1 outa 2 ain't bad.

Posted by: scootie puff jr. | January 09, 2008 at 08:09 AM

thats a so so trade cedeno is a ok to a lil a above averge plater marshall high ceiling is a 3 rotation starter but b rob will never do wat he did 2 yrs ago he was on the stuff and he has had ok season the last 2 yrs cmon i wouldnt pay no mind to this trade

Posted by: Dee Edge | January 09, 2008 at 08:11 AM

I'm just sayin... their massive haul includes... what... about 7 low B-range prospects? I don't see any future cornerstones commin' from their dealings with the NL central.

Posted by: scootie puff jr. | January 09, 2008 at 08:12 AM

If true, this is friggin sweet!

Posted by: TrueCubsFan | January 09, 2008 at 08:13 AM

if this is true thent he Cubs got an absolute steal! Marshall is a 5 starter at best in the AL and Cedeno is Cesar Izturis. Gallagher is a B level prospect. well done Cubs

Posted by: curse_ended | January 09, 2008 at 08:17 AM

I am just worried what will happen with the middle infield. Will DeRosa become the utility player or will Theriot be the utility player? I am just happy that with everything you hear about the Cubs being sold that they are still making trades so they are a contender.

Posted by: Michigan Cubs Fan | January 09, 2008 at 08:19 AM

Can't be true. That trade is a joke. Macphail should be fired if all he got was that crap for Roberts.

Posted by: Blutarski | January 09, 2008 at 08:46 AM

hahahahah orioles fans i would be pissed cedeno and marshall suck

Posted by: futureprospect3 | January 09, 2008 at 08:56 AM

Here's some distant information that I'll share -- a friend of a friend who works in the warehouse just e-mailed me and said that this deal is not yet finalized.

If it IS finalized, I must say I'm a bit bummed out. Brian is really the face of the Orioles and it hurts to lose him. I understand that painful moves have to be made to improve the team, and I do support dealing Roberts. But it's not easy.

I don't know much about the involved players, but it looks like we got a pretty good haul for him. I like Cedeno.

I'm sure medical stuff still needs to be finalized, so I'm sure it's not FINAL, but I have word from two pretty good sources that the deal has been agreed to. I asked 100%? I was told, 100% from both....

I really like this trade. I see a lot of Cub games and I think Marshall will be one of our better starters for us this year.

Gallagher has a ton of potential. If he came up in our system and with his minor league numbers we would consider him a top 10 prospect, possibly top 5.

Cedeno is ok. Im not a huge fan however if given the chance to play everyday he might live up to his potential.

Tough to give up Roberts but all in all good trade.

I'm sure medical stuff still needs to be finalized, so I'm sure it's not FINAL, but I have word from two pretty good sources that the deal has been agreed to. I asked 100%? I was told, 100% from both....

I'm not doubting you, just passing along the information I received.

One thing to consider--is it possible that PGA inserts himself into the process and prevents Roberts from being traded? Deja vu, anyone?

Archived