Roberts Trade News Thread

McLovin

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the trade report is accurate:

I think the Cubs got the better of this trade.

Brian will play at a level that I do not expect any of the three players the O's recieved will ever reach. He is one of the best 2nd baseman and leadoff hitters in the game. I don't expect that will ever be said about any of these three at their positions.

I don't believe from the scouting reports that any of these players have a high ceiling. When the Cubs pulled Pie from the deal and still made it happen, they won.

I do not expect Cedeno to be the long term answer to anything for the O's other the utility IF. He is a high error infielder with major flaws in his offense from the reports I have read that include the last two seasons.

Gallagher's got that workhorse look to him. Ponson type stuff but, hopefully, with a head on his shoulders. The combination of playing every day and Crowley's tutelage should have a good effect on Cedeno offensively, don't know about his glove, though. Shifting him to 2nd with Hernandez at short might be the way things shake out with Trembley's emphasis on defense. Marshall showed good improvement between his first and second year. Hate to see Roberts go but it's time to get young and truly start rebuilding this thing.

I am curious how anyone can predict if we got a good trade or not. We are dealing with young prospects. Who knows how they will respond to a new league, team and coaches. Maybe everything clicks and we end up looking like bandits, but it can go the other way just as easily.

I think the Cubs got the better of this trade.

Brian will play at a level that I do not expect any of the three players the O's recieved will ever reach. He is one of the best 2nd baseman and leadoff hitters in the game. I don't expect that will ever be said about any of these three at their positions.

I don't believe from the scouting reports that any of these players have a high ceiling. When the Cubs pulled Pie from the deal and still made it happen, they won.

I do not expect Cedeno to be the long term answer to anything for the O's other the utility IF. He is a high error infielder with major flaws in his offense from the reports I have read that include the last two seasons.

I think the Cubs got a very good player, and should be happy with the trade from their perspective. They are in win-now mode and he upgrades a position without really costing them anything they need for now.

As I said in an earlier post, I'm not sold on Cedeno, I see him as high-risk, high reward, and maybe a bit of a longshot to be above average in the long run. But he's the 3rd piece here. Gallagher and Marshall are good additions and I expect more moves that will become possible due to their acquisition.

What's the lowdown on Cedeno? This may be covered in previous threads, but it should be covered here as well as most attention will zero in on this thread. Looking at his stats, he had an ugly .724 OPS in the MINORS and someone here said he is a high-error fielder. So, what's to like??

Maybe we need to throw a little more pitching in with Bedard to get Triunfel as well? Not sure, but would love to see him come back with Jones + Clement!

Triunfel is with Jones in the Latest rumors

http://www.prospectinsider.com/

I have it on pretty good authority that the Seattle Mariners and Baltimore Orioles may very well be making significant progress on a trade involving left-hander Erik Bedard.

Unfortunately, if you are an M’s fan, the word is that the Mariners may agree to include Carlos Triunfel in a deal along with Adam Jones, and perhaps one other player (George Sherrill, most likely), due to their stance on trading Brandon Morrow.

I did not get this info from a source directly involved in the talks, but it was relayed to me through a mutual source of one more directly involved.

If the Mariners send Jones, Triunfel and Sherrill to Baltimore and the return is simply Erik Bedard without Brian Roberts or other valuable pieces, the Soriano-Ramirez trade will be buried by this monster of a mistake.

Protecting Morrow as if he’s a sure thing is ridiculous. Refusing to include him in the deal as if he’s got a good chance to be a frontline starter in 2008 is irresponsible.

But, what else is new? This is not a smart baseball team and this would be yet another blunder as they continue to believe they were an 88-win team last year and are building on the team as a result.

Updates coming as I get them, and I’m already making calls to scouts to get reactions to such a deal, should it go through

I am curious how anyone can predict if we got a good trade or not. We are dealing with young prospects. Who knows how they will respond to a new league, team and coaches. Maybe everything clicks and we end up looking like bandits, but it can go the other way just as easily.

Everybody has to know how it pans out "RIGHTNOW!"

Of course, we have to have everything right now in society, it seems.

I hope the trade story is true. I w/not mind Cedeno to second and Hernandez at short for this year. The guy's a glove, and that's what you need there. If he can handle the switch, maybe a less stressful position w/allow Cedeno to develop as a hitter.

What's the lowdown on Cedeno? This may be covered in previous threads, but it should be covered here as well as most attention will zero in on this thread. Looking at his stats, he had an ugly .724 OPS in the MINORS and someone here said he is a high-error fielder. So, what's to like??

Cedeno has had 2 good years in AAA, but hasn't broken out in the majors...yet. He'll most likely be a 2B in the future and has the potential to be a .300+ 10+ HR 15SB guy.

Archived