Roberts Trade News Thread

McLovin

Yeah, but I would say that is pretty darn good for Brob. That and Cedeno could be an .800 OPS for us this year at SS. Not to mention we got Marshall, which is a lot better of a pitcher than some of the fill in #5's we have gotten in the past.

Yup, I like this deal a little more after doing more research on Gallagher. I think Marshall is okay too, in spite of his low K numbers.

I feel confident about the combination of Kranitz and all these young pitchers.

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now that this trade is completed, I don't know what I am going to do without going this site 5 times a day. Maybe I will be an Orioles fan for my AL team (as I've mentioned in the past, I grew up liking the Orioles living in the Hunt Valley area). It is like investing in Microsoft at the ground level. I can watch it nurture and say that I was there from the beginning. Besides, the Orioles will obviously win another World Series before my pathetic Cubs anyways. Cheers guys!

Yup, I like this deal a little more after doing more research on Gallagher. I think Marshall is okay too, in spite of his low K numbers.

I feel confident about the combination of Kranitz and all these young pitchers.

Well said Hank, I think people don't realize how good of a pitching coach Kranitz is. With all the new toys he is getting I think seeing all those good arms develope will be fun.

As I said in a previous post. It is bittersweet to watch one of the few talents the O's have developed over the past 20 years walk away in his prime. But it was necessary. Sounds like a pretty even deal to me. I love me some Brob, but we're not dealing Sandberg in his prime here. To get back a #3 on the low end in Gallagher, plus a decent SS prospect and a plug in #5 for a 30 year old second baseman is a good deal to me. Next up: Bedard.

Couple of comments.

Gallagher is 22 years old (just had his birthday) and has 41 AAA innings. He needs to start the season at Norfolk.

And re: Cedeno. I sure hope everybody predicting the .800 OPS is right. I also hope y'all aren't crushed when it doesn't happen. MLB numbers predict MLB performance better than AAA numbers predict MLB performance, and he has a .626 OPS in 700 MLB appearances (more than he has at AAA). I'm thinking that .725 is a much more realistic upside for him, and even that is a .100 increase, probably way too optimistic.

That said, even .700 with very good defense would be valuable, so let's hope.

Yeah, but I would say that is pretty darn good for Brob. That and Cedeno could be an .800 OPS for us this year at SS. Not to mention we got Marshall, which is a lot better of a pitcher than some of the fill in #5's we have gotten in the past.

Great point, AO.... Marshall > Chen/Rodrigo/etc. in my opinion.

Cub fan here . I was at a cubs board and saw this post :

Bruce Levine just reported the trade talks are back on which could indicate the deal is close like the insiders that I've been reading about on here have been saying. Who we are sending is where it gets cloudy, I must admit, I'm a lil confused. I just wanna get it over with.

Back on ? Wow Levine must be really behind on this . Haha !

Not a trade analysis but did anyone notice the Sun changed the title of the MacPhail article??? Earlier it was titled "MacPhail: Trade talks not heating up"....Now it says "Door not closed on free agents".

Just found it interesting. I wondered if the deal went down what AM's response would be.

Yeah - are they "heating up" now or "cooling down" since the trade is complete? :confused:

From what has been reported, Cedeno is a project with his throwing - perhaps he can slide to second where it isn't as big a problem. He played in the Venezuelan league, per Boom Boom, so might know LH already. Maybe he'll vie for SS? I'll assume that the pitching will help and no "Trachsel type acquisition" is now required. Gallagher looks like a Sutcliffe clone.

I'm sure that there will be a BRob appreciation thread, but it was a pleasure to watch BRob develop before our eyes. It's sad that his exploits have been clouded somewhat by his admission of steroid usage, but he is a great man and I enjoyed watching him play and do great things for the community. I will miss his surehandedness and hope we are not ruing the day we acquired Ronny Cedeno.

Archived