Did I Hear Mike Bordick Correct??

ExileAngelos

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest rochester
I didn't hear that Roy but maybe you're right.

I tend to agree as well. Bordick is not prone to hyperbole. Now Rick Dempsey?

Nick has averages 185 hits per season and this is his year 29 season. He has 1303 ML hits and is a solid bet to be somewhere around 1380 when this season ends. He would need to average 162 hits over the next 10 years to reach 3000. I am not saying he is likely to stay healthy, but his bat is decent enough for someone to give him a chance to DH later in his career. No player with 3000 hits has been passed over for the Hall sans the steroids guys and Nick has never been linked to tha type of thing. If he gets to 3000 he would go in IMO.

Nick has averages 185 hits per season and this is his year 29 season. He has 1303 ML hits and is a solid bet to be somewhere around 1380 when this season ends. He would need to average 162 hits over the next 10 years to reach 3000. I am not saying he is likely to stay healthy, but his bat is decent enough for someone to give him a chance to DH later in his career. No player with 3000 hits has been passed over for the Hall sans the steroids guys and Nick has never been linked to tha type of thing. If he gets to 3000 he would go in IMO.

Pete Rose says "Hi." ;)

Good old Pete.....if he had played in this day and age he'd be roundly hated......like Bryce Harper on steroids (the hatred for how he plays I mean).....

But since he played back in the day, everyone remembers him fondly (off the field stuff aside) for how he played all out all the time.

In 2013 that gets you called arrogant, cocky, showing other guys up(because god forbid they go all out constantly) and who knows what else. Interesting how that works.

Not to get off topic but Mclouth reminds me of a Pete rose-lite. Nate goes hard on every play which is why we all love him. I think we are finally starting to see the return of players like this to baseball now that the steroid era is over. It was hard to find a whole bunch of all out effort guys in the 90's and early 2000's because everyone was more interested in hitting home runs and admiring them. Barry bonds and McGwire among many others gave as little effort as possible on defense and were only worried about numbers.

Now there is a emphasis on defense and hustle and doing things the right way returning to baseball and its refreshing to see. I'd take a team of 9 mclouths over a team of 9 bonds every day of the week simply because I'd appreciate the effort every week.

Now as for nick, I'd love to see him reach 3,000, but I don't see a 39 year old slap hitter with marginal power and marginal speed being a very attractive DH at that age. I'd love to think he could be a solid left PH late into his 30's, but the lack of power could hurt his chances when teams want power hitting off the bench.

He'd be great now as a clutch PH, I just don't know how well his skill set translates to pinch hitting at 39.

Guys like thome, ibanez, konerko, Matt stairs etc. stuck around as lefty DH's into their late 30's because of their pop off the bench. I don't see many slap hitters playing into their late 30's.

I hope nick proves us all wrong though because he's one of my favorite O's.

Also here's an interesting hypothetical scenario........say nick does get 3,000 hits in the post steroid era with no questions asked........could they let him in the HOF, hypothetically speaking, even with 0 all star game appearances (even though we all know what a joke this has become).

Think about that hypothetical......it's a tough one. A hall of famer who was never once an all star.......it could theoretically be possible.

Did seem absurd (and I think he did mean Baseball HOF), but I suppose if Nick could stay healthy and play 10 more years he could theoretically accumulate enough counting stats (i.e hits) to put him in. Don't see it happening though.

Also here's an interesting hypothetical scenario........say nick does get 3,000 hits in the post steroid era with no questions asked........could they let him in the HOF, hypothetically speaking, even with 0 all star game appearances (even though we all know what a joke this has become).

Think about that hypothetical......it's a tough one. A hall of famer who was never once an all star.......it could theoretically be possible.

I think with the expansion time bomb looming standards will go up significantly and even a 3000 hit player who never really was an MVP candidate and just got to one or two counting stat thresholds by sticking around forever wouldn't go in. 3000 hits was set up as a trigger for induction when there were 16 MLB teams, now that there's 30 and twice as many good players either the standards have to go up, or the number of inductees have to go up. If anything the number of inductees seems to be going down. So the standards will go (and are already going) up.

Nick's best bet is a Dwight Evans type career, and Dwight Evans fell off the ballot in about 14 seconds.

Archived