Did I Hear Mike Bordick Correct??

ExileAngelos

Back to the OP, I don't Bordick's statement is that ridiculous....Say Nick has another 5-6 solid years, he'll have a very productive "Ken Singleton/Dwight Evans/Lance Berkman" type of career...I'm not saying this right, but to say "Markakis and HOF in the same sentence is not too outrageous". It's not like he's David Segui or something.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So you've called Strop a "thug" and McDonald a "redneck". Your track record isn't real great on this board in terms of sounding like a blowhard, so this doesn't surprise me at all.

Lack of intelligence? Have you heard him broadcast? He's extremely intelligent; you're just too ignorant and intolerant to get past the accent, which is something he can't control. God I wish you would get banned already.

I apologized for the "Redneck" comment I didn't know it would offend anyone. If you find it offensive why are you using it in your posts? I don't use the Washington NFL teams name in my posts as I find it offensive.

I would complain if Ben had a serious Baltimore accent as well. I guess everyone can talk however they want but when you are on air you are expected to pronounce words correctly. Do you hear anybody on National broadcasts that talk like Ben. This isn't an anti southern accent at all. I find numerous southern accents actually appealing. It is the way Ben pronounces words. I guess if someone talked like they were from the Ghetto and I complained about that as well you would have a problem with it.

I think you are against professionalism. Defending Pedro's crooked hat and big gold chain.

I like Bordick. I don't like Ben as an announcer. I think that is your main problem. You want someone banned who doesn't agree with you.

Back to the OP, I don't Bordick's statement is that ridiculous....Say Nick has another 5-6 solid years, he'll have a very productive "Ken Singleton/Dwight Evans/Lance Berkman" type of career...I'm not saying this right, but to say "Markakis and HOF in the same sentence is not too outrageous". It's not like he's David Segui or something.

I don't know why people so underrate Markakis on here. He may not be a hall of famer but he is at least the next level below. He has an awesome OBP and an awesome arm. He plays the balls well and makes the occasioinal great play. If every player on the team worked the count like Markakis we would have a much better team. We take the least amount of pitches in the league. Markakis does things for the good of the team over his own personal stats. People blast Jones because he doesn't have a high OBP and Markakis is very high and he gets no credit. It makes you wonder sometimes why they are even following the team.

Nick has earned his keep. He has the respect of his teammates. At the end of the day, that's enough to call it a successful career.

If Big Ben went into full time announcing, he'd wind up in the HOF.

I am sorry for those I offended. Let me rephrase. Ben sounds like an uneducated person from the backwoods of the American deep south. His lack of intelligence and his pronunciation of the English language annoys me. Unless someone does a pygmalion on him I hope he doesn't do any oriole games.

I just realized you don't need to possess a southern drawl in order to sound like you're lacking intelligence. You don't need to talk at all. Simply posting one's opinion to a message board appears to serve just as well...

At one point earlier in his career, it looked like Markakis could reach 3,000 hits, and then you could make a case for him. The injuries hurt those chances, I think, but people are forgetting just how few players really have a career batting average around .300. He may seem like an average player, but he's pretty special. One of the only guys on this team and that go with a pitch so well.

What injuries? Prior to last season he has averaged 160 games played per season since his rookie year. This year he has played in 90 of 92 games. Even with last year he has averaged 150 games played per season.

I apologized for the "Redneck" comment I didn't know it would offend anyone. If you find it offensive why are you using it in your posts? I don't use the Washington NFL teams name in my posts as I find it offensive.

I would complain if Ben had a serious Baltimore accent as well. I guess everyone can talk however they want but when you are on air you are expected to pronounce words correctly. Do you hear anybody on National broadcasts that talk like Ben. This isn't an anti southern accent at all. I find numerous southern accents actually appealing. It is the way Ben pronounces words. I guess if someone talked like they were from the Ghetto and I complained about that as well you would have a problem with it.

I think you are against professionalism. Defending Pedro's crooked hat and big gold chain.

I like Bordick. I don't like Ben as an announcer. I think that is your main problem. You want someone banned who doesn't agree with you.

I think you don't get it. What is wrong with the way he pronounces words? Ben is

from the South. Someone from New England would pronounce words differently

than I do in Texas. If that is your hang up then I am sorry for you.

I would never want you banned though.

Nick is a steady, good ballplayer, but not the type that I think of as an MLB Hall-of-Famer. But his banjo-hitting skills are quite good, and it's not crazy to think that he could hang around long enough playing at his current level to come close to 3000 hits. And I still think that 3000 hits will eventually get a player in, even though it probably shouldn't.

Nick could wind up as the hitting equivalent of Don Sutton. Sutton was never considered one of the best pitchers in baseball, but he was consistently good and played long enough that he eventually wound up with 300 wins.

Nick could wind up as the hitting equivalent of Don Sutton. Sutton was never considered one of the best pitchers in baseball, but he was consistently good and played long enough that he eventually wound up with 300 wins.

Sutton was a 4-time All Star and finished top-5 in Cy Young voting 5 times. Markakis has never made an All-Star team or received a single MVP vote (though he probably should have in 2008).

Sutton was a 4-time All Star and finished top-5 in Cy Young voting 5 times. Markakis has never made an All-Star team or received a single MVP vote (though he probably should have in 2008).

Hard to compare pitchers and position players on all-star appearances, fans vote for position players and players select pitchers.

Hard to compare pitchers and position players on all-star appearances, fans vote for position players and players select pitchers.

Fans vote for starters and managers select reserves (which is what Markakis would be) and pitchers. Regardless it does work as a shorthand for how players were perceived by their contemporaries.

I think you don't get it. What is wrong with the way he pronounces words? Ben is

from the South. Someone from New England would pronounce words differently

than I do in Texas. If that is your hang up then I am sorry for you.

I would never want you banned though.

Everyone should use the Queen's English.

Nick is a steady, good ballplayer, but not the type that I think of as an MLB Hall-of-Famer. But his banjo-hitting skills are quite good, and it's not crazy to think that he could hang around long enough playing at his current level to come close to 3000 hits. And I still think that 3000 hits will eventually get a player in, even though it probably shouldn't.

Nick is squarely in the pretty good ballplayer category along with guys like Ken Griffey Sr., Wally Moses, Dave Henderson, etc, etc. He could get to 3000 hits, but he'll probably end up like Johnny Damon and fall a bit short.

Sutton was in the top five in the Cy Young voting five consecutive years, won an ERA title, and pitched long and well enough to be a 2, 3+ win pitcher into his 40s. I'm not saying Nick can't get there, but he'll have to play about as well as he has up to now, for about 15 more years.

Be that as it may, his entire list of awards on his baseball reference page is one gold glove and a 6th place finish for RoY.

At no point so far in his career has he been viewed as close to a dominant force.

Archived