vs. BLUE JAYS, 7/14

OFFNY

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That may be. Still doesn't answer why you wouldn't put in your best guy.

Especially in the exact situation his position is supposed to handle. Quibble about how the save rule is set up, but if a team gets in to a save situation, and need to replace the current pitcher, if the closer is available, you go to the closer.

That's a pretty good question. Maybe they're still going off his old range? Let's see if they start taking him out late in the future.

I've wondered about that too. Give him some rest, get Flash some time on the field.

That may be. Still doesn't answer why you wouldn't put in your best guy.

1- He isn't my best guy

2- Cut down on his workload

3- Lower his cost for next season

4- Give another player experience pitching in a save situation

5- Give another player some work with four off days

6- Show that I don't "care about the save rule"

1- He isn't my best guy

You know, that whole save rule/win rule comment of his...I think people look at it in the wrong light. I don't think he goes to JJ because its going to get JJ a save, he goes to JJ because it's JJ's job (at present) to shut the game down FOR a win. He's more interested in that W, but that doesn't mean he's not going to use his closer in the situations closers were basically invented for.

You know, that whole save rule/win rule comment of his...I think people look at it in the wrong light. I don't think he goes to JJ because its going to get JJ a save, he goes to JJ because it's JJ's job (at present) to shut the game down FOR a win. He's more interested in that W, but that doesn't mean he's not going to use his closer in the situations closers were basically invented for.

Yea, I disagree.

I think Buck fully subscribes to modern managing Group Think that dictates when he will use his closer the vast majority of the time.

1- He isn't my best guy

Maybe they want to inflate his numbers so they can trade him in the off-season. You'd have to think some old school GM or manager would push for a guy with 100+ saves over 2 seasons. I can't think of any other reason.

Maybe they want to inflate his numbers so they can trade him in the off-season. You'd have to think some old school GM or manager would push for a guy with 100+ saves over 2 seasons. I can't think of any other reason.

That I would be fine with.

However if that was their thinking then I think he would have brought back a better return last season.

1- He isn't my best guy

Who is better then? Hunter obviously didn't have it, so tj McFarland? Matusz? Oday?

Archived