AJ had banana thrown at him today

SilentJames

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember when Jim Rice had a golf ball thrown at him when he caught a ball in the outfield at Shea Stadium in Game Two of the 1986 World Series. At the time, the Red Sox were leading the game by a score of 9-3, and it was the bottom of the 9th inning.

This was obviously a reference to Augusta National not allowing black members.

OFFNY, really? Do they sell them or do you bring your own?

I bring them.

And I'll see you there (O.P.A.C.Y.) for the last three games of the year against the Red Sox. :)

At Durham Bulls Stadium in North Carolina (AAA), they sell veggie dogs. :cool:

You're using one racist remark when you say that. So I'm taking it as you're going after the people from the South, which is ok? I was born in Westminster, raised in Jacksonville, and now live in GA. I take offense to that dude.
The banjo and the toothbrush is a reference to Deliverance. I forget what state that is, but I would say it refers to an Appalachian culture. When you think of that kid with the banjo what do you associate with that?

Wow.. I never thought of myself as naive but it being racism never crossed my mind until this thread.
Funny me too. When I saw the reference to the banana, the first thing I thought of was, it was like an angry audience throwing rotten fruit at a bad performer. I'm kinda happy that the racist suggestion didn't occur to me. Growing up in Jim Crow Baltimore, I'd say that's progress. The toothbrush/Banjo reference isn't racist, because people from Appalachia aren't of any a specific race.

Making a joke against racism by using a homophobic comment = Fail.

Nice to see the OH in uproar about Apalachia and not something like this. :rolleyes:

Eh, at least my homophobic comment fit the geographic stereotype. That's what I was going for. Sure, I guess it failed. But I've been called a racist for rooting for the Redskins and not protesting the name. So there's that.

As far as Jones goes, he's awesome! And he's on fire now.

It's arguably not racist, but rather classist. Racism/classism/sexism is about power. The reason that people look down on whites from Appalachia is because they are supposedly poorer and less educated, not because they are white.

Archived