Ask Dan Duquette

weams

He could have...but he didn't. Koji's 2013 performance would have the O's in the playoffs had it occured in an Orioles uniform instead of a Red Sox uniform.

You can't take a player from another team and pluck them in our lineup and said it all would have been different.

They play in different cities and a different schedule, who knows, used differently by a different manager.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Given what we've seen so far, you have to think the scouts were very excited. I don't think 6M a year is anywhere near insane. And if you want to get to the WS you have to take gambles. Puig was not a big gamble, IMO.

Yet he has been benched for a game or two because of his attitude and there is questions about his ability to hit left handed pitching.

Yet he has been benched for a game or two because of his attitude and there is questions about his ability to hit left handed pitching.

Regardless, as Drungo has pointed out, even if he is a big flop, which he won't be despite you "misgivings" :rolleyestf:, 6M isn't that much to swallow.

At the time we had a great CL, and a bunch of good setup men. The big bet was not signing Reynolds and going with Crush, before he was Crush. That paid off handsomely

Actually, I call it a wash.

Last Year Davis/Reynolds hit 51 home runs for the season.

This year with 17 games to go, Davis has 49. I doubt we have got more than a small handful from our DH this year.

Given what we've seen so far, you have to think the scouts were very excited. I don't think 6M a year is anywhere near insane. And if you want to get to the WS you have to take gambles. Puig was not a big gamble, IMO.

This is what troubles me. Front office is a small-thinking,detail-tinkering entity that seems incapable of really taking a gamble or, to Roy's point, targeting a player that would make us better, and going out and getting him. There's always the chance it won't work, but I'd be heartened for the effort.

At least this season we have some glaring weaknesses which, if not addressed, will probably cost someone his or her job by the AS game next year....

They also see a guy, who doesn't run out ground balls.

They see a guy batting .212 the last six games and .282 the last 28 games.

Really? Did you not see the highlight the other night from where he made a single into a hustling triple.

Also, .282 in the last 28 games. I would take that over a majority of our hitting.

Call me crazy then, but I'd be happy to pay Puig 6M, warts and all.

I was thinking the other day, when a few posters were started to get critical of Manny, and I thought how Puig would fare under that same magnifying glass.

Puig is a talented player, who is young and impressionable and since he keeps appearing on TMZ.COM, he is enjoying the Hollywood night life.

One could image what a player he could be, if he actually put his mind into the game itself.

To get back to the thread, there are competitive teams, Contending teams and championship caliber teams. We are competitive. Even if we got all the way to the WS, we would still be just a competitive team on paper. Anything can happen, but you don't build teams around that principle. DD is building a continuing competitive team that with a little luck could get to the playoffs every so often, But he is not building a contending team, let alone a championship caliber team, and he won't as long as PA is the owner.

Archived