vs. Blue Jays 9/13

weams

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Selig shd deposit a million into Lackey's Panamanian bank account to bean Alex Rodriguez tonight.

He (Lackey) is doing better than that.

He is beating the Yankees by a score of 4-1, and he has Rodriguez at 0-for-3 with 2 strikeouts so far.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Who else do we have at C that can outperform Adley's .740? I agree we need to reduce Adley's C load, but then we need to replace his production at C. Basallo could be that guy but we don't know yet. Maybe with better load management they could both perform well as a C/DH platoon on a 50/50 basis. For now I think you have to roll with Adley but perhaps reduce his load a bit. 
    • I am in the camp that Wells isn’t a reliable guy and not someone we should be saving a roster spot for,  no matter the cost. That being said, even if he’s not really available for the first half of the season, is it worth it to bring him back since he will be cheap and, most importantly, have 2 options left? He is just more depth in a break glass in case of emergency situation and it’s not like he hasn’t been productive in the past.
    • How do you know Mayo can't play better defense than Mountcastle?  Do you forget how terrible Mountcastle was at other positions in the minors and that it took him a while to get comfortable at 1B?  I believe given enough reps, Mayo has the ability to be at least a decent defensive 1B.  Mayo is a top 10 prospect with outstanding traditional stats as well as elite advanced metrics.  Yes, he looked terrible at the plate in his short stint in MLB...but he wasn't put in a good position to succeed by Hyde only playing him sporadically.  It's hard enough for a veteran to get into a rhythm at the plate with occasional starts, but exceptionally more difficult for a rookie to trying to produce in that setting.   I'd trade Mountcastle for pitching, and give Mayo an opportunity to compete for starting 1B job in ST.
    • What's the downside of moving him off catcher? He's not an elite defender.  I haven't checked the stats but I know some posters here really take issue with his pitch framing skills. The bat has been anywhere from bad to average to fairly decent at catcher when it's been stronger consistently as a DH. If you're so opposed to the idea of moving him off catcher, it's based on emotion and not logic.  Overall career numbers at DH are better...even hoisting up 2023 like it's some kind of a win, his OPS was almost .100 points better as a DH.
    • I really like Cowser, both from a talent perspective and his mentality/intensity.  I think his horrible RISP production is hopefully just a result of him being a rookie and pressing too hard in clutch situations.  I believe he'll be much more relaxed in his second season and we'll see a marked improvement in his RISP stats.
    • Holliday will be the starter on OD. Mayo is the most likely to be in the minors next year.    At the end of day and Elias knows this it’s about Santander. The first order of business is whether to retain O’Hearn. If Santander returns you can always move O’Hearn in a deal. Elias can’t and will not let the Santander sweepstakes play out and be left with nothing.  My guess is Mountcastle stays. If they do move him I could see a 1yr deal for a Goldschmidt or Turner type bat     
    • This strategy of using Adley at DH (when not catching) seemed to be a good one until the second half of this past season. I think long term Adley will be fine, but the Orioles need the Adley from his first two years for this to work. Otherwise getting a capable full time DH might be better instead of rotating different hitters who may or may not hit well enough. I'm inclined to agree we will see some combination of Adley, Mayo and Kjerstad as the DH in 2025 over let's say a J.D. Martinez type getting 500 at bats.
  • Popular Contributors