2012 5th round pick Colin Poche

56 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I was looking through AFL stats today, and saw that Colin Poche is pitching there.    He was drafted by the Diamondbacks in 2016, and pitched in both low and hi A this year, posting a dominating 1.25 ERA and 14.5 K/9 in 50 innings of relief work.   In the AFL he has a 3.18 ERA and 11.9 K/9.    Looks like we made a good pick; it’s a shame we couldn’t sign him.  

I saw him pitch yesterday.

Looked pretty sharp.   Around the plate, did not throw hard, but had 3 decent pitches; struck out 2 batters -- 1 looking, and 1 swinging; a couple of hard hit singles.

Drafted in 14th round (419) in 2016 and signed for $100k.

1 hour ago, AZRon said:

I saw him pitch yesterday.

Looked pretty sharp.   Around the plate, did not throw hard, but had 3 decent pitches; struck out 2 batters -- 1 looking, and 1 swinging; a couple of hard hit singles.

Drafted in 14th round (419) in 2016 and signed for $100k.

I’d say going to college did not work out for him financially.   He would have made more money as a 5th rounder and would be further along in his development, too.    He apparently did have some maturity issues so maybe it’s best that he got those out of his system before turning pro, though.   

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’d say going to college did not work out for him financially.   He would have made more money as a 5th rounder and would be further along in his development, too.    He apparently did have some maturity issues so maybe it’s best that he got those out of his system before turning pro, though.   

I’d say if you look at most 18 year old kids they have maturity “problems”. I’ve never really liked that label, especially for high school draftees.  Now I’m not saying personality isn’t an important factor, you want someone who can take coaching and takes pride in their performance.  

40 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

I’d say if you look at most 18 year old kids they have maturity “problems”. I’ve never really liked that label, especially for high school draftees.  Now I’m not saying personality isn’t an important factor, you want someone who can take coaching and takes pride in their performance.  

This is what I was referring to:  https://www.google.com/amp/5newsonline.com/2013/05/01/trial-delayed-for-ua-baseball-players-accused-of-shoplifting/amp/

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I don't know. What do 5th round picks get?   Now, assuming he had a full athletic scholarship,  how much did he save on tuition? 

Slot for Poche would have been $262,500; I don’t know if the O’s offered him more or less than that.   He signed for $100 k four years later.   I don’t know if tuition, room & board  at University of Arkansas (where he started) and Dallas Baptist (where he transferred) would have made up the difference; I doubt it, but I guess the differential isn’t that enormous.   I also don’t know if Poche graduated, or is close to graduating.   He was a redshirt junior when drafted by the DBacks.

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

Slot for Poche would have been $262,500; I don’t know if the O’s offered him more or less than that.   He signed for $100 k four years later.   I don’t know if tuition, room & board  at University of Arkansas (where he started) and Dallas Baptist (where he transferred) would have made up the difference; I doubt it, but I guess the differential isn’t that enormous.   I also don’t know if Poche graduated, or is close to graduating.   He was a redshirt junior when drafted by the DBacks.

Also, I believe teams can offer college tuition (or at least tuition assistance) as part of the contract with draftees and that doesn’t count towards the bonus number. 

Archived