2012 5th round pick Colin Poche

http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/northwoods-league-top-25-prospects/

1. Colin Poche, lhp, Willmar (So., Arkansas)

colin-poche-2013-bm-300x211.jpgColin Poche (Photo by Bill Mitchell)

An unsigned 2012 fifth-round pick from a Texas high school, Poche started five games as a freshman and had eight total appearances, generating a 1.37 ERA and 23 strikeouts in 20 innings. He dominated Northwoods League hitters with a 2.26 ERA in eight starts and five relief appearances. If Poche had thrown five more innings to qualify for the ERA title, he would have finished second in ERA and in the top five in both strikeout-to-walk ratio (3.8) and strikeouts-per-nine (10.6). Poche has a clean, athletic delivery and repeats it well. He has a loose arm and hides the ball well from a high three-quarters arm slot. His 88-92 mph fastball with average movement and sink plays up because he gets good extension out front and has above-average command. He has feel for a changeup with good arm speed and a breaking ball with three-quarters tilt that both show the makings of average or better offerings. Poche has an athletic, projectable 6-foot-3, 210-pound build with a large frame, long limbs and room to add more strength. He has drawn physical comparisons to 2011 first-rounder Sean Gilmartin. With all three of Arkansas? spring starters in pro ball, Poche has a strong chance to claim a weekend starter role next season.

• 1 year later...

I got curious today what had happened to Poche, and whether he got drafted today. Turns out he had TJ surgery last summer and transferred from Arkansas to a smaller school in Texas. It seems pretty doubtful he'll get drafted at all this year. I guess that decision to forego that signing bonus and go to college doesn't look so good now.

I got curious today what had happened to Poche, and whether he got drafted today. Turns out he had TJ surgery last summer and transferred from Arkansas to a smaller school in Texas. It seems pretty doubtful he'll get drafted at all this year. I guess that decision to forego that signing bonus and go to college doesn't look so good now.

That's certainly the risk they run by going to college, but on the other hand, he's at least getting an education. That pro vs college argument is really an interesting debate and honestly, there's no right or wrong answer as each kid is different.

That's certainly the risk they run by going to college, but on the other hand, he's at least getting an education. That pro vs college argument is really an interesting debate and honestly, there's no right or wrong answer as each kid is different.

He has the opportunity to be getting an education.

I wonder if he is taking full advantage of it?

Speaking of college in general for these kids. I remember reading that the kids can get money for college written into their contracts without effecting the pool number. Is that true?

Yes, I agree with you. He transferred to Dallas Baptist University, which I know nothing about. Hopefully he'll get his degree while trying to resurrect his pitching career.

Yes, I agree with you. He transferred to Dallas Baptist University, which I know nothing about. Hopefully he'll get his degree while trying to resurrect his pitching career.
DBU has a great baseball program. Poche is from the Dallas area originally so he moved closer to home and family.

He has the opportunity to be getting an education.

I wonder if he is taking full advantage of it?

Speaking of college in general for these kids. I remember reading that the kids can get money for college written into their contracts without effecting the pool number. Is that true?

I think that is true. But they can't get it for a period of time.

• 2 years later...

I was looking through AFL stats today, and saw that Colin Poche is pitching there.    He was drafted by the Diamondbacks in 2016, and pitched in both low and hi A this year, posting a dominating 1.25 ERA and 14.5 K/9 in 50 innings of relief work.   In the AFL he has a 3.18 ERA and 11.9 K/9.    Looks like we made a good pick; it’s a shame we couldn’t sign him.  

Archived