Duquette On Xm/Sirius Now

weams

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Boras is his agent and it won't happen. Even if he wanted to, the economics won't work for us. The only way I could see it happening is if Davis tanked or was seriously injured over the next 2 years.

At some point we have to be willing to pay market value for somebody. If you don't give more than 3 years to pitchers and then aren't willing to pay market prices for position players where exactly will you spend it? Not arguing with you just making a point.

And you don't spewing the Nats love on an Orioles board?

Just take a deep breath and think before attacking people randomly on here. I am guilty as of late for that so I think I am going to take a TO for sanity.

I apologize if the Nats reference offended you so...but it is just a game.

I do sincerely apologize for the big balls comment. That wasn't right. Let's agree to disagree and move on. Happy Holidays.

At some point we have to be willing to pay market value for somebody. If you don't give more than 3 years to pitchers and then aren't willing to pay market prices for position players where exactly will you spend it? Not arguing with you just making a point.

As was I. Just being a realist here. The situation and the economics with Davis aren't going to work for an extension.

As was I. Just being a realist here. The situation and the economics with Davis aren't going to work for an extension.

I can live with not going after FA pitchers, I can't accept both. The Orioles can't have it both ways. This isn't Tampa or Oakland, we are St Louis of the AL.

Just read an interview with Matt Kemps agent Dave Stewart and he has already talked to Kemp about playing in Boston. Stewart also said he is going to the Winter Meetings for the first time. The Dodgers are only trading one of their OF's and it appears it's Kemp to Boston. Boston has a history with the Dodgers so look for the Kemp deal to be made soon. We can forget Ethier.

I could see the O's trading Wieters to the Dodgers for Ethier, AJ Ellis and a couple of pitching prospects. But I doubt the O's trade Wieters this offseason, though I think he gets traded some time before he hits free agency.

I think it's possible he could be moved to the Dodgers. Not sure about us taking on Ethier's contract and the quality of any (if any) prospects in return.

Just read an interview with Matt Kemps agent Dave Stewart and he has already talked to Kemp about playing in Boston. Stewart also said he is going to the Winter Meetings for the first time. The Dodgers are only trading one of their OF's and it appears it's Kemp to Boston. Boston has a history with the Dodgers so look for the Kemp deal to be made soon. We can forget Ethier.

Well, it could happen, but it hasn't happened yet. Nothing is a sure thing. If Kemp doesn't go to Boston then I could see the O's in on Ethier as reports suggest the O's already are. That said, it would be cool to think the O's might be in on Kemp too, but I think that would be too risky for Angelos and Duquette.

Why give money just to talk to a player? Or try to sign him. To give millions to the

Japanese team to try to sign Tanaka is insane. IMO

You don't give up money unless you sign him. Why would it be insanity to give 20 million to his team and sign him for 30 million over just giving the player 50 million? It is bad for the player it doesn't effect the club one way or another.

I could not agree more. The system is idiotic. I find it hard to believe that seemingly intelligent business men like the owners ever agreed to it. MLB would not suffer one bit if no Japanese player ever played in MLB again. If you want the best talent from Japan. Refuse to participate in the screwball system.

Again, I don't see what is wrong with the system? Please explain to me what is wrong with it? Agents take money for players as well. Do you care how much out of players salary the agent gets? Or the tax man? The only thing that matters is the total amount of money paid to the player for the value you get in return.

Again, I don't see what is wrong with the system? Please explain to me what is wrong with it? Agents take money for players as well. Do you care how much out of players salary the agent gets? Or the tax man? The only thing that matters is the total amount of money paid to the player for the value you get in return.

The 20 million isn't able to be invested and make even more money? Instead someone else is holding onto it. I have no idea.

The 20 million isn't able to be invested and make even more money? Instead someone else is holding onto it. I have no idea.

Well I think once you pay the posting fee you have a good chance of signing the player. The whole thing is an idiotic policy by the Orioles. If they said that the total cost to sign players with this system to is too high for the value you get that might make sense but the thing about not wanting to pay money to another team is nonsense. And it is an insult to our intelligence. Who cares where the money goes? It isn't like the players get sweat shop labor fees to play in the US and the Japanese teams get all the money.

2014 32 Los Angeles Dodgers $15,500,000

2015 33 Los Angeles Dodgers $18,000,000

2016 34 Los Angeles Dodgers $18,000,000

2017 35 Los Angeles Dodgers $17,500,000

Ethier how much do the Dodgers have to eat for a trade?

~$10 MM minimum for a literal salary dump, $15-20 MM for a B prospect.

Usually when I consider salary dumps I think, "what's the most a player would likely get, within reason, on the open market" and use that as the break even point. Beltran got 3/45, Granderson got 4/60. I think both were overpaid, and Beltran gets a bump for legacy, but I would imagine Ethier would fall in a similar market (he's a year younger than Granderson and projected to be similarly valuable over 4 years). So let's say some team would bite for Granderson money. That means LAN has to eat about $9-10 MM just to get the contract off the books. An extra $5-10 MM gets them a B prospect and maybe a lesser, secondary piece.

Well I think once you pay the posting fee you have a good chance of signing the player. The whole thing is an idiotic policy by the Orioles. If they said that the total cost to sign players with this system to is too high for the value you get that might make sense but the thing about not wanting to pay money to another team is nonsense. And it is an insult to our intelligence. Who cares where the money goes? It isn't like the players get sweat shop labor fees to play in the US and the Japanese teams get all the money.

I'm in agreement with you. IMO the answer is, if you don't even bother getting into a bidding war then you don't have to explain to your season ticket holders why you always come out on the short end. They know they don't have any plans on spending serious money so they avoid the entire process rather than put up a false front.

Archived