Duquette On Xm/Sirius Now

weams

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Orioles seem fine w Flaherty at 2b. Aren't actively looking now. Club does want to add a left handed hitter though.</p>— Brittany Ghiroli (@Britt_Ghiroli) <a href="

">December 9, 2013</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Os have offers out to free agents, starting &relief. But Duq cautioned those waiting for a big FA pitcher, more likely they try to develop 1</p>— Brittany Ghiroli (@Britt_Ghiroli) <a href="

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Duquette said emphasis on during meetings will be getting LH bat, more likely thru trade than free agency it seems. <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23orioles&src=hash">#orioles</a></p>— Eduardo A. Encina (@EddieInTheYard) <a href="

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Orioles seem fine w Flaherty at 2b. Aren't actively looking now. Club does want to add a left handed hitter though.</p>— Brittany Ghiroli (@Britt_Ghiroli) <a href="

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Os have offers out to free agents, starting &relief. But Duq cautioned those waiting for a big FA pitcher, more likely they try to develop 1</p>— Brittany Ghiroli (@Britt_Ghiroli) <a href="

you-dont-like-it-gif.gif

So now the question is, what constitutes as a "big FA pitcher".

Just because you don't believe with a rule doesn't mean you shouldn't use it if it exists. Any GM would use all the rules at their disposal to make the team better. This has Angelos all over it. I know he has been getting a lot of flack recently but GMs won't artificially restrict the tools at their disposal. This might as well be a billboard to any industry people telling them he is handcuffed by his owner.

Isn't it reassuring to hear that the Orioles won't compete for international talent by pursuing Tanaka (or any other posted player), not because they're too cheap, but as a matter of the franchise's principle? :rolleyes: IIRC, in the early days of free agency there were teams that, in not pursuing free agents, claimed that principled opposition to free agency prevented from competing for that segment of the talent pool.

I'm starting to wonder how long Duquette will put up with this.

If overall payroll isn't going up then there isn't a lot of reason to extend Davis or Wieters.

The O's don't have a farm system like the Cards or Rays where they can just plug in guys.

I think from a PR standpoint they have to do something.

Maybe they aren't spending big elsewhere to try to tie these 2 players up?

How many of you would swap someone like Ohlman or Davies for Ethier plus 17 MM? The total contract would then be 4/52.

If the Orioles don't think they can extend Davis, then I think the above is something you have to seriously consider. I'd have to think hard over whether I'd rather give that money to Either or throw in another ten or fifteen million and get Garza. But as ridiculous as 52 million is for Either, it's less ridiculous than 6/100 (and a pick) for Choo.

Unless the Orioles are willing to punt another couple seasons and trade off Davis, Hardy and Wieters, which may be the smart move, then the Orioles are probably going to have to pay someone more than they're worth, whether that's Garza or Either or someone else.

Though if we're going to overpay for someone, I'd rather it be 12-14 million for AJ Burnett. Then maybe send Ohlman/Davis + another small chip for Logan Morrison.

What a downright stupid thing for DD to say. And no way Mr. international believes it either.

Plus, I'm sure millions of people in large parts of PA, VA, and NC don't like paying the MASN posting system whereas they are forced to pay Angelos a fee just for the pleasure of watching basic cable.

If you have Time Warner, DishTv or Direct TV you have to pay. Sorry but that is a

silly argument by you.

I think from a PR standpoint they have to do something.

Maybe they aren't spending big elsewhere to try to tie these 2 players up?

I don't think the fans are going to be appeased by a fifth place team with a couple big ticket players.

You trade fan favorites and then you win, the fan base forgives you.

You keep fan favorites and you lose the fans stop showing up.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Dan Duquette on Tanaka - "The <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Orioles&src=hash">#Orioles</a> don't agree with the posting system. We don't agree with paying money to another ballclub like that."</p>? MLB Network Radio (@MLBNetworkRadio) <a href="
">December 8, 2013</a></blockquote>

I could not agree more. The system is idiotic. I find it hard to believe that seemingly intelligent business men like the owners ever agreed to it. MLB would not suffer one bit if no Japanese player ever played in MLB again. If you want the best talent from Japan. Refuse to participate in the screwball system.

Archived