Duquette On Xm/Sirius Now

weams

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Something like this.

Maybe Ibanez over Kubel. We still need a LF.

Haven't you heard the good news? We have Nolan Reimold, Francisco Peguero, Henry Urrutia and Steve Pearce! We don't need to sign a left fielder! We probably don't need to sign a DH either, but DD and Peter Angelos are so generous that they may sign a DH anyway.

2014 32 Los Angeles Dodgers $15,500,000

2015 33 Los Angeles Dodgers $18,000,000

2016 34 Los Angeles Dodgers $18,000,000

2017 35 Los Angeles Dodgers $17,500,000

Ethier how much do the Dodgers have to eat for a trade?

~$10 MM minimum for a literal salary dump, $15-20 MM for a B prospect.

Usually when I consider salary dumps I think, "what's the most a player would likely get, within reason, on the open market" and use that as the break even point. Beltran got 3/45, Granderson got 4/60. I think both were overpaid, and Beltran gets a bump for legacy, but I would imagine Ethier would fall in a similar market (he's a year younger than Granderson and projected to be similarly valuable over 4 years). So let's say some team would bite for Granderson money. That means LAN has to eat about $9-10 MM just to get the contract off the books. An extra $5-10 MM gets them a B prospect and maybe a lesser, secondary piece.

Orioles aren't going to be players in a move like this. I can't see them trying to take Ethier...if the Dodgers eat 20 million, that still leaves 48 million for 4 years. The Orioles aren't going to take on another big contract when they still have Davis to pay. The Dodgers would have to eat half of the contract and that's not going to happen.

Axford, Kubel, and, Hammel.
Something like this.

Maybe Ibanez over Kubel. We still need a LF.

Honestly, I think I'd rather just stand pat if those are the kinds of moves we're talking about. Those guys aren't going to take the Orioles from the middle of the pack to the head of the class so we might as well just hand those jobs to Britton, Reimold, Urrutia, Peguero, etc. and see what we have there, and then take the money that we would've spent on those moves and stuff it in an envelope under the mattress marked "Manny Machado Rainy Day Contract Extension Fund."

Why wasn't this question asked: "Much of this early movement is due to the extra 25 M teams have to spend. Why aren't the O's taking advantage of that extra money, and if not where is that money going?"

Dan has answered that by saying that he does not think it is helpful to discuss team finances or budget.

I know Duquette needs to put a positive spin on things, but I don't see how our pitching is better now than it was heading into 2013. Tillman took a step forward in 2013, but Gonzo and Chen arguably took a step backward. Hammel was so bad that he lost his rotation slot and forced the O's to give up propsects for Bud Norris, who strugged for the O's. Arietta and Strop were traded, and nobody was sorry to see them go. Britton had a promising stretch in 2012, but was terrible in 2013. Worse, the O's entered 2013 with high hopes that Bundy and Gausman would be able to contribute to the major league rotation quickly. Now Bundy is recovering from Tommy John, while Gausman has struggled with command and secondary pitches and has yet to master AAA. As for the bullpen, Hunter and Matusz took a step forward, but O'Day struggled against lefties, Patton went backwards, and JJ went backwards and was traded.

So I don't see how Duquette expects us to agree with him that our pitching is in better shape now than it was a year ago.

We went into the 2013 season

Not saying I agree with this but...

Could DD be referring to 2013 "actuals" rather than start of the season "potential"? Where Hammel, JJ, Jake, Britton ineffective and Bundy under the knife. Now have Norris on the roster with Tillman established as front-line starter, Hunter a strong back-end bullpen presence, and Gausman ready to contribute.

I could see a decent argument for better position this year depending upon basis for comparison.

http://atmlb.com/1jDp6yx

Reading DD's interview with Brittany Ghiroli on mlb.com really depressed me this morning. I wasn't expecting us to come back from the Winter Meetings with Choo and Garza, of course, but hearing him reaffirm, "Our goal is still the same, to find value", means it's Dumpster dive-o-rama. That was fine, and we could live with getting Logan Morrison or a LF / LH DH, but then he added, "If people are expecting the Orioles to go out and sign a significant pitcher, I think it's more realistic to look for good pitchers to come up through the farm system. Frankly, I think we have more starting-pitching depth going into this year than we've had the last couple of years. We have some qualified starters on the team and some pitchers in the Minors ready to supplement our team. That wasn't the case last year."

In other words, you probably don't need to set aside money for those 2014 postseason tickets just yet. I know it's a tight payroll and I know we're not going to make a splash on the FA market, but despite all that, some small, indefatigable part of me held out hope that they were just looking cheap but were quietly putting together a solid deal for a bigger bat to put in left, or someone to give Tillman a run for his money as the staff ace. And no matter what, I will continue to hold out hope that they will take some measures to at least try not to get buried by Boston and NY in the offseason... but it's getting increasingly difficult. How long until the sign over the O's front office is changed to read, "Abandon all hope, ye who enter here"?

http://atmlb.com/1jDp6yx

Reading DD's interview with Brittany Ghiroli on mlb.com really depressed me this morning. I wasn't expecting us to come back from the Winter Meetings with Choo and Garza, of course, but hearing him reaffirm, "Our goal is still the same, to find value", means it's Dumpster dive-o-rama. That was fine, and we could live with getting Logan Morrison or a LF / LH DH, but then he added, "If people are expecting the Orioles to go out and sign a significant pitcher, I think it's more realistic to look for good pitchers to come up through the farm system. Frankly, I think we have more starting-pitching depth going into this year than we've had the last couple of years. We have some qualified starters on the team and some pitchers in the Minors ready to supplement our team. That wasn't the case last year."

In other words, you probably don't need to set aside money for those 2014 postseason tickets just yet. I know it's a tight payroll and I know we're not going to make a splash on the FA market, but despite all that, some small, indefatigable part of me held out hope that they were just looking cheap but were quietly putting together a solid deal for a bigger bat to put in left, or someone to give Tillman a run for his money as the staff ace. And no matter what, I will continue to hold out hope that they will take some measures to at least try not to get buried by Boston and NY in the offseason... but it's getting increasingly difficult. How long until the sign over the O's front office is changed to read, "Abandon all hope, ye who enter here"?

That's a really good point, we have developed so many pitchers over the years...oh wait..

Haven't you heard the good news? We have Nolan Reimold, Francisco Peguero, Henry Urrutia and Steve Pearce! We don't need to sign a left fielder! We probably don't need to sign a DH either, but DD and Peter Angelos are so generous that they may sign a DH anyway.

Everyone crying about LF and all of a sudden it looks like the O's have a surplus! They can probably deal one for a AAA catcher or something they REALLY need!

Archived