Duquette On Xm/Sirius Now

weams

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Duquette: "I can tell u, we've got plenty of resources 2 field a competitive team & we've got a much stronger base 2 our pitching staff now"</p>? Steve Melewski (@masnSteve) <a href="
">December 9, 2013</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I know twitter has length of message limits but it seems pretty unprofessional to use "u" for "You" and "2" for "to".

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just read an interview with Matt Kemps agent Dave Stewart and he has already talked to Kemp about playing in Boston. Stewart also said he is going to the Winter Meetings for the first time. The Dodgers are only trading one of their OF's and it appears it's Kemp to Boston. Boston has a history with the Dodgers so look for the Kemp deal to be made soon. We can forget Ethier.

If this is true, it will be interesting to see how much LA eats of Kemps contract, and we may get a estimate of what the O's wouldn't eat when they were discussing Johnson.

~$10 MM minimum for a literal salary dump, $15-20 MM for a B prospect.

Usually when I consider salary dumps I think, "what's the most a player would likely get, within reason, on the open market" and use that as the break even point. Beltran got 3/45, Granderson got 4/60. I think both were overpaid, and Beltran gets a bump for legacy, but I would imagine Ethier would fall in a similar market (he's a year younger than Granderson and projected to be similarly valuable over 4 years). So let's say some team would bite for Granderson money. That means LAN has to eat about $9-10 MM just to get the contract off the books. An extra $5-10 MM gets them a B prospect and maybe a lesser, secondary piece.

This has O's written all over it. This will be a terrible move if it goes down.

I can't argue with that, you are right. But, Andre Ethier would not be a platoon player for us.

Might be smart to do it though, at least to some extent. Granted we can't have too many players with huge variations in their platoon splits like Ethier, but it is a way some teams optimize overall production.

2014 32 Los Angeles Dodgers $15,500,000

2015 33 Los Angeles Dodgers $18,000,000

2016 34 Los Angeles Dodgers $18,000,000

2017 35 Los Angeles Dodgers $17,500,000

Ethier how much do the Dodgers have to eat for a trade?

20M depending on who they get back

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Duquette: "I can tell u, we've got plenty of resources 2 field a competitive team & we've got a much stronger base 2 our pitching staff now"</p>? Steve Melewski (@masnSteve) <a href="
">December 9, 2013</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I know Duquette needs to put a positive spin on things, but I don't see how our pitching is better now than it was heading into 2013. Tillman took a step forward in 2013, but Gonzo and Chen arguably took a step backward. Hammel was so bad that he lost his rotation slot and forced the O's to give up propsects for Bud Norris, who strugged for the O's. Arietta and Strop were traded, and nobody was sorry to see them go. Britton had a promising stretch in 2012, but was terrible in 2013. Worse, the O's entered 2013 with high hopes that Bundy and Gausman would be able to contribute to the major league rotation quickly. Now Bundy is recovering from Tommy John, while Gausman has struggled with command and secondary pitches and has yet to master AAA. As for the bullpen, Hunter and Matusz took a step forward, but O'Day struggled against lefties, Patton went backwards, and JJ went backwards and was traded.

So I don't see how Duquette expects us to agree with him that our pitching is in better shape now than it was a year ago.

We went into the 2013 season

Prediction: By the end of the week, the Orioles will have signed Benoit and Ibanez and traded for Ethier.

How would you feel if Benoit, Ibanez, and Either are added?

Just a hunch. I'm not going MikeyIce on ya'll. :-)

Sent from my VS870 4G using Tapatalk

Axford, Kubel, and, Hammel.

Archived