Duquette On Xm/Sirius Now

weams

I don't think the fans are going to be appeased by a fifth place team with a couple big ticket players.

You trade fan favorites and then you win, the fan base forgives you.

You keep fan favorites and you lose the fans stop showing up.

My point is if you keep Matt and Chris you would have those two plus Manny and Jones through 2018.

Trying to go for the long haul not short term spending.

I am not saying this will happen or is true.

If they don't spend on Davis and Matt who will there be left to spend on? Some pitchers will go through arbitration that is it.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My point is if you keep Matt and Chris you would have those two plus Manny and Jones through 2018.

If they don't spend on Davis and Matt who will there be left to spend on? Some pitchers will go through arbitration that is it.

I just don't think they can put together a winning team around Jones, Manny and Matt/Chris with the salary constraints in place. The O's don't have a steady enough supply of guys making 500K that they can plug in.

My guess is they eventually trade Matt. I suspect they want to re-sign Davis, but if gives indications he doesn't want to re-sign with Baltimore then probably he gets traded, depending on the offers.

My guess is they eventually trade Matt. I suspect they want to re-sign Davis, but if gives indications he doesn't want to re-sign with Baltimore then probably he gets traded, depending on the offers.

Wieter's really doesn't have that much trade value and creates another hole if you deal him now. He'll be worth less next year. Davis will not extend with us. It's just not going to happen and the organization already knows that.

Call me crazy but I stick with my team no matter what.

As do I. I stuck it out through all the losing. But fans were promised things would change once the team was competitive. PA has done nothing to back that up. I'm still a fan and always will be. However, my orange colored glasses arent as clear to see through anymore.

Wieter's really doesn't have that much trade value and creates another hole if you deal him now. He'll be worth less next year. Davis will not extend with us. It's just not going to happen and the organization already knows that.

Why do you say that? Is it because we won't be willing to pay market value?, or he doesn't want to stay.

2014 32 Los Angeles Dodgers $15,500,000

2015 33 Los Angeles Dodgers $18,000,000

2016 34 Los Angeles Dodgers $18,000,000

2017 35 Los Angeles Dodgers $17,500,000

Ethier how much do the Dodgers have to eat for a trade?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Duquette: "I can tell u, we've got plenty of resources 2 field a competitive team & we've got a much stronger base 2 our pitching staff now"</p>— Steve Melewski (@masnSteve) <a href="

">December 9, 2013</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I just don't think they can put together a winning team around Jones, Manny and Matt/Chris with the salary constraints in place. The O's don't have a steady enough supply of guys making 500K that they can plug in.

You might be right. Either way we will be banking on Gausman and Bundy and other young starters going forward. Our top 3 starters we have under control through 2017.

Yeah, it's hard to see that happening.

I just don't understand the money being thrown around these days. Ellsbury making >$20M/yr, Napoli/Beltran/Granderson getting $15M-ish/yr.... crazy.

Davis is going to get paid handsomely by some team and the O's won't be comfortable going anywhere near $20M. I can already imagine the line... something about needing resources to spread across all parts of the team, not just one position. Might as well trade him now.

Whoever signs Wieters to a long term deal will only see him catch probably 3 of the six years of the contract. At his current pace he will break down in the next three or four years with the rigors of catching. Is he a good enough hitter to DH or play another position ( 1B)? He has not shown that ability to date. I think the Orioles should deal Wieters during the meetings to a team with a decent catcher like Detroit with Alex Avila. He has caught the top pitchers in baseball and does a really nice job. Would Detroit be interested?

Why do you say that? Is it because we won't be willing to pay market value?, or he doesn't want to stay.

Boras is his agent and it won't happen. Even if he wanted to, the economics won't work for us. The only way I could see it happening is if Davis tanked or was seriously injured over the next 2 years.

Nobody wants to give up but there gets a point where you are hopeless and feel so disrespected that it becomes less enjoyable.

For me, I was fired up most when Buck pitched JJ those 3 games in Arizona. It was insanity. But Buck has literally saved us from full blown Angelos so we forgive....

People aren't giving up really, just frustrated and threatening it makes us feel better.

Go Nats! (For OFFNY)

Go! Someplace else...

I could see the O's trading Wieters to the Dodgers for Ethier, AJ Ellis and a couple of pitching prospects. But I doubt the O's trade Wieters this offseason, though I think he gets traded some time before he hits free agency.

Archived