Talks stall on trade for Roberts-Suntimes

TheBee

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Long time reader first time poster. I absolutely love the board and spend alot of my work days reading.

I know there wasnt a deal but i would have been extremely happy with a return of

1. Vitters PTBNL

2. Hill

3. Pie

4. Colvin

5. Cedeno or Patterson

6. Veal

7. Ceda or Gallagher

This is all wishful thinking. I would even ask for Marmol or Soto to sub for a couple of those guys.

I know Vitters would be highly unlikely but man is that kid going to be a stud. Im not that high on Hill. He seems extremely overrated and is already 28. He does do one hell of a "Kip" impersonation. I would then come up with a package and go get Lillibridge from Atlanta. I still say if the Reds offered Bailey/Votto/Cueto i would be all over it. In the end i see a Jones/Tru/Tillman/Tui package and i could live with that.

Well, if (and this is a big if) there was a deal that already involved both Hill and Pie, you can be fairly certain that there wasn't much else in that deal. At least, it wouldn't have been anything particularly good and major league ready. You would have been looking at guys like Kyler Burke, Wellington Castillo, Chris Huseby, Larry Suarez and the like as the other "significant" pieces, and probably a couple junkers that could fill in now... Ryan O'Malley and Randy Wells types. If you had gotten real lucky, it might've included Sean Marshall or Eric Patterson...

Bedard might be a slight upgrade over Hill, but their values are relatively comparable, considering how much longer Hill is under contract. Personally, I wouldn't (and I doubt Hendry would have) given up Hill for Bedard straight up. And considering his reluctance to trade Pie for Roberts already (if he weren't reluctant, Roberts would already be a Cub), I sincerely doubt he would've tossed in much else to get this done.

Scenarios where you might be getting Hill and Pie, and then combinations of Murton, Colvin, Vitters, Patterson, Cedeno, Gallagher, Veal, Ceda, and Marshall are pure fantasy, no offense intended.

Archived