O's make offer to Gonzalez

8ripken2131

Didnt anyone listen to Phil Wood and Jim Duquette today? It not just stats, its how they fit in as a team. If it was all stats the clown from the A's would of won, he follows them so much. People dont really understand how tough it is to run a baseball team, put it together and all. Duquette said PA was easier to work with than most owners.

That clown from the A's puts together winning teams every year.

He probably also knows that it's "would have," not "would of."

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only way that this does not end up as a terrible move is if the FO plans on him being the DH next year because of a Gibbons trade. If this signing is with the intensions of Gonzo becoming the starting LF, we are in trouble.

All the stats say OPCY is a good homer park but not a good extra base park.

The gaps are small so many balls can be tracked down. Alot of LuGo's doubles would be outs in OPACY.

Since its a good home run park, wouldnt you assume that he would have more of his Doubles would be HRs than outs. I didn't see any of his 52 double last season so I don't know how he hits them but I guess you could be right.

Maybe more, since he can play for all 3 OFers...Plus, he is a great defensive player and has good speed.

He is a solid value for us, as he won't get more than 1 million for 1 year in all likelihood.

There is a reason he won't get more than 1 mill a year.

Since its a good home run park, wouldnt you assume that he would have more of his Doubles would be HRs than outs. I didn't see any of his 52 double last season so I don't know how he hits them but I guess you could be right.

Yea, he may hit a few more homers but the problem is his power is fading and he isn't getting younger.

Best case is he has a solid enough first half that you could deal him.

What is it w/ these 52 doubles? You do realize that he put up these 52 doubles while declining in overall power, don't you?

As SportsGuy posted earlier

You mean like these numbers:

2003: 402/532/934

2004: 373/493/866

2005: 366/459/825

2006: 352/444/796

If that isn't a trend, I don't know what is.

I do not understand us going after Gonzo??

We do not need another left handed hitting outfielder, thats all we have. If we are going to get a left handed bat I prefer Huff since he can platoon with Millar at first.

We should be looking at getting someone who can hit left handed pitching for left field, i.e. Guillen or a trade for Ensberg or Mench, but for the love of god no ancient declining left handed hitter. Jeez are they not looking at our depth chart and not noting our abundance of left handed bats.

For anyone thinking this would be an okay signing just because it would be a one year stop gap so we can make a run at Hunter, Wells or Jones WAKE UP. We'll be right back in the same situation next year because we will not pay those other guys what it takes to get them. We need to make a trade for a guy with a couple years left on his contract or find a young beast prospect to trade for to fill the LF gap. Either that or take a flier on someone like Guillen who is still young and coming off of injury. These one year stop gaps are unacceptable and even more so when someone says we're doing it to make a run at next years free agents. It's lunacy. Only way i'd accept a stop gap would be if we already had someone in the system ready to break into the majors by mid season to fill the hole, and that is obviously not the case. This is vintage Orioles front office formula, dont do enough to get a guy you really need then pay some over the hill 40 year old and expect him to fill the hole. We'll just have the same season we had last year. If it were Guillen or a clever platoon out in LF I wouldnt mind but this is right back with the likes of bringing Palmeiro, Surhoff, Sosa or Millar(same mistake 2 years n a row) here.

You apparently have no idea what you are talking about.

Cruz is a great option for a 4th outfielder who plays all 3 OF positions and crushes lefties. He's never been advocated as an everyday option.

Gonzalez is an aging hitter who has consistently declined over the past four years. He may be marginally better than what we had last year, but who isn't?

There have to be better options out there w/ more upside.

Even with declining number Gonzalez is superior to Jose Cruz Jr. Plus, we need a 3rd (not a 4th) outfielder. Please name the other free agent options that are better than Gonzalez, and that could be had for a one year deal.

Even with declining number Gonzalez is superior to Jose Cruz Jr. Plus, we need a 3rd (not a 4th) outfielder. Please name the other free agent options that are better than Gonzalez, and that could be had for a one year deal.

Again, you have no clue. We also need a reliable 4th OFer who can platoon all aroudn the OF, especially with CPat.

These guys have nothing to do with each other so bringing up Cruz in these argument is total useless.

Archived