O's make offer to Gonzalez

8ripken2131

I really wouldn't call Luis Gonzales a "name." I highly doubt your average fan knows who Luis Gonzales is.

Im not a fan of this move, but there aren't too many better options without trading away important pieces. We shall see what happens.

The Orioles seem to think that someone like Reimold could be ready next year(08), maybe Fio is in their long term plans as well.

I have done NO numbers research for this, I thought of this off the top of my head as I am typing this so if it is TERRIBLE don't go totally nuts on me. Gonzales/ Fio platoon next year? Assuming Fio has a good spring and has made some progress with his bat?

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He's old, and he'd be the same mistake that we'd be making similar to previous years, constantly finding stopgaps. He's our worst option, and we shouldn't be offering him a contract at all. Go out and explore younger options, because I highly doubt Luis will have a very productive year for us.

He had a productive year last year.

Didnt anyone listen to Phil Wood and Jim Duquette today? It not just stats, its how they fit in as a team. If it was all stats the clown from the A's would of won, he follows them so much. People dont really understand how tough it is to run a baseball team, put it together and all. Duquette said PA was easier to work with than most owners.

Sammy Sosa worked out so well for the team and the fans, I am glad the front office plans a sequal.:rolleyes:

I hope we low-balled him and he goes elsewhere. Horrible option.

I don't really see that as quite equatable. Sosa had become a one dimensional player by the time we got him, and once he couldn't hit homeruns anymore, he had nothing of value to provide for the team.

I'd be very surprised if Gonzalez is much below average next year wherever he plays. On the other hand, I'd be even more shocked if he was much above average as well.

My problem is that this is a move with the term 'stopgap' written all over it. LF & 1B are arguably the two easiest positions to find competent players at, and we can't seem to do a damn thing with either.

Maybe but in OPACY, a park that is terrible for doubles hitters, alot of his doubles will become outs.

How is OPACY terrible for doubles hitters? Doubles are pretty much line drives to the gaps, or off a wall. Are you saying that since we have a small OF some of his gap shots turn into singles?

This coming from the guy who wants to sign Jose Cruz, Jr.

HA!

You apparently have no idea what you are talking about.

Cruz is a great option for a 4th outfielder who plays all 3 OF positions and crushes lefties. He's never been advocated as an everyday option.

Gonzalez is an aging hitter who has consistently declined over the past four years. He may be marginally better than what we had last year, but who isn't?

There have to be better options out there w/ more upside.

How is OPACY terrible for doubles hitters? Doubles are pretty much line drives to the gaps, or off a wall. Are you saying that since we have a small OF some of his gap shots turn into singles?

All the stats say OPCY is a good homer park but not a good extra base park.

The gaps are small so many balls can be tracked down. Alot of LuGo's doubles would be outs in OPACY.

You apparently have no idea what you are talking about.

Cruz is a great option for a 4th outfielder who plays all 3 OF positions and crushes lefties. He's never been advocated as an everyday option.

Gonzalez is an aging hitter who has consistently declined over the past four years. He may be marginally better than what we had last year, but who isn't?

There have to be better options out there w/ more upside.

Bingo! Great post btw.

I have to side with Sports Guy on this. This is not a good move for us. If we sign Gonzo, it will basically ruin the chances of us making a trade for a power hitting outfielder at the winter meetings. Yes, I agree that Gonzo will be better than what we ran out there last year, but how much better? To me, if you account for his age and the way Gonzo has been declining the last several years, you might as well run the Surhoff of a couple years ago back out there.

Archived