O's make offer to Gonzalez

8ripken2131

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That is a legit claim. Just like when you used it when we signed Ramon last season.

One has nothing to do with the other.

Ramon had always played in extreme pitchers parks, so one can assume that out of those parks, he would do better.

Gonzo did hit well in those parks but as he has gotten older, he has declined, like every other MLer does.

This is a joke, right?

Why do some of you get so hung up on age? This guy is very consistent, doesn't have to be platooned, hit 52 doubles last year, hasn't played less than 100 games since 1996. It's obvious that Duquette is keeping all the young pitching for now which means no big trade is coming so in the free agent market, Gonzalez is about the best they can do for left field now.

All you guys are looking at is his age.

Why don't we look at other stuff about him?

Gonzo hit 52 doubles last year; He had 69 walks last year compared to 58 strikeouts; He also played 150 plus games and he has done that three of his last four years.

He might be old, but comparing him to a Jeff Conine or B.J Surhoff signing is extremely foolish.

He's old, and he'd be the same mistake that we'd be making similar to previous years, constantly finding stopgaps. He's our worst option, and we shouldn't be offering him a contract at all. Go out and explore younger options, because I highly doubt Luis will have a very productive year for us.

Maybe not but you can still try to get someone with good upside for the long term.

Instead, you just try to sign a "name" guy and a "vet presence".

I am all for that but there isn't a guy available like that. I don't want to put Fahey or Newhan out there because they aren't a long term option. I also want atleast a .750+OPS guy out there just in case our pitching advances to the next level. What I really want is Carl Crawford, but Tampa Bay isn't going to trade within the division. I see no harm at all in Gonzo. For contract reasons, I would prefer the one year with Gonzo, then the 6+ with Lee or Soriano.

Why do some of you get so hung up on age?
First of all, i was talking more of us gunning for the guys you mentioned. Secondly, i get hung up on age because this team has got to build for the future. They are also looking for the easy way out, the guy they have heard of or the guy that every man can identify with. That is a reason we are where we are today.
This guy is very consistent
Yes, has consistently been declining for 4 years and at his age, his body could breal down anytime.
hit 52 doubles last year
That is good although the homers are down, so he is definitely losing power.

His OBP is decent as well and his fielding is still average.

The only way that makes any sense is if you are banking on Reimold being ready for 2008 and don't want to lock yourself into anybody else beyond that span. Even then, there are probably better options.

Being a pull hitter, Gonzalez is still probably good for about 20 pokes over that scoreboard in right, but expecting anything much over a .750 OPS is probably unfair, although not impossible.

I would hope this is a 1/5 type offer with maybe a team option for a second season.

You mean like these numbers:

2003: 402/532/934

2004: 373/493/866

2005: 366/459/825

2006: 352/444/796

What do you think 2007 will bring? I will guess 340/420/760....Best case scenario IMO.

I really don't understand how these numbers are calculated. All I know is that he had seven more at bats last year as opposed to two years ago and he had 15 more doubles and 2 more triples last year and 9 less homers than two years ago. That still means he had 8 more extra base hits last year then two years ago in seven more at bats. Let's also not forget that the man had Tommy John surgery before his season two years ago. The power could come back in my opinion for it takes a couple of years after the surgery for players to be 100% recovered.

One has nothing to do with the other.

Ramon had always played in extreme pitchers parks, so one can assume that out of those parks, he would do better.

Gonzo did hit well in those parks but as he has gotten older, he has declined, like every other MLer does.

But if Gonzo was in a hitters park like the AL East stadiums he would have had a higher Slug because some of those doubles were going to be homers in our parks.

Archived