O's make offer to Gonzalez

8ripken2131

True... about any LF option on the market would be better than Newhan/Fahey. Gonzalez, though should be the lowest option on the totem pole.

I don't mind a one-year pact with Gonzalez, but there are several options I would pursue before signing him, let alone offering him a contract: Jose Guillen, Craig Wilson, even Cliff Floyd.

I really don't see the FO going after a clubhouse cancer in Guillen.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It says Gonzalez is a Type A- does this mean we'd forfeit our first rounder as well, or would they just get a comp pick?

If we lose our 1st rounder as well in this deal, it becomes one of the worst signings ever.

We aren't losing a pick if he accepts it as of now.

Scott Boras (at least in Jones's case).

Isn't that a funny joke?

Ummm...no!

I like all the guys you suggested far more than Gonzalez. Guillen is the obvious guy (to me) on your list. I know he's probably not going to be ready until mid-season, but I would hope that we could find someone else in the meantime.

It says Gonzalez is a Type A- does this mean we'd forfeit our first rounder as well, or would they just get a comp pick?

If we lose our 1st rounder as well in this deal, it becomes one of the worst signings ever.

Teams no longer lose their first round pick for free agent compensation.

OK SG I am not thrilled about his but he can be a platoon with someone else for LF. sometimes DH/LF. He will be better than Fahey or Conine. Who is out there they can get for LF that is good player and is young enough for a long future? Lee was way to expensive. Houston will regret signing this guy in two or three years. Still the winter meetings for some trades. Maybe they want to have a stop gap until someone is ready from the minors. But I am not going to get pissed at this. There is more time for things to be done long before ST happens.

I believe the D'backs have already declined arbitration so no draft pick compensation.

All you guys are looking at is his age.

Why don't we look at other stuff about him?

Gonzo hit 52 doubles last year; He had 69 walks last year compared to 58 strikeouts; He also played 150 plus games and he has done that three of his last four years.

He might be old, but comparing him to a Jeff Conine or B.J Surhoff signing is extremely foolish.

You mean like these numbers:

2003: 402/532/934

2004: 373/493/866

2005: 366/459/825

2006: 352/444/796

What do you think 2007 will bring? I will guess 340/420/760....Best case scenario IMO.

You mean like these numbers:

2003: 402/532/934

2004: 373/493/866

2005: 366/459/825

2006: 352/444/796

What do you think 2007 will bring? I will guess 340/420/760....Best case scenario IMO.

I won't say best case, but I won't mind that from a one year stop gate.

I mean seriously, do the Orioles actually look at stats and age?

He has been on a decline for 4 years in a row and is approaching 40 years old...Do they think he will start hitting well again?

I can't wait to hear the good ship lollypop spin this one.

This guy might be declining but even a declining Luis Gonzalez is better then half the outfielders in baseball and better then other options like David Delucci, Kevin Mench etc.

Let's also not forget that Gonzalez has been playing his division games in Arizona, Los Angelos, San Francisco, San Diego, and Colorado. Three of these places are extreme pitching parks and the fact that he still got 52 doubles tells me he can improve his homer totals playing in OPACY, Fenway Park, Toronto, Yankee stadium, and Tampa Bay.

This guy might be declining but even a declining Luis Gonzalez is better then half the outfielders in baseball and better then other options like David Delucci, Kevin Mench etc.

Let's also not forget that Gonzalez has been playing his division games in Arizona, Los Angelos, San Francisco, San Diego, and Colorado. Three of these places are extreme pitching parks and the fact that he still got 52 doubles tells me he can improve his homer totals playing in OPACY, Fenway Park, Toronto, Yankee stadium, and Tampa Bay.

He was playing those parks a few years ago when he had big numbers..Try again.

Archived