Does Curt Schilling Deserve to be in the HOF

Redskins Rick

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, but it's hard to see why. Kell is somewhere in the Bill Mueller-Harvey Kuenn-Bill Madlock-Carney Lansford peer group. And pretty much nobody thinks any of those others are Hall of Famers.

Kell got in by the veterans committee, and it didn't hurt that he was a popular broadcaster for many years after his playing days.

Right. And it helped he was elected in the infancy of modern analysis, so his relatively empty .300 average still held some charm.

2000+ hits, while not 3,000, is still a good career milestone.

I would rather see one of the decent guys slip through into the HOF, then the opposite, and somebody on the juice or gambled on their team get in.

Right. And it helped he was elected in the infancy of modern analysis, so his relatively empty .300 average still held some charm.

:agree: Yes, at both the time Kell played and the time he was inducted, batting average was given much more weight than it is today. Kell was a good player, for sure, but I think it is very unlikely that he would be voted in as a player today.

:agree: Yes, at both the time Kell played and the time he was inducted, batting average was given much more weight than it is today. Kell was a good player, for sure, but I think it is very unlikely that he would be voted in as a player today.

I think people forgot the difference in ball games between now and then.

ERAs were half what they are now, at least the better pitchers of that ERA.

Mound was taller

Umpires called a better strike zone.

No DH

2000+ hits, while not 3,000, is still a good career milestone.

I would rather see one of the decent guys slip through into the HOF, then the opposite, and somebody on the juice or gambled on their team get in.

George Kell is tied with Ray Durham for 248th in MLB history in hits. Just ahead of Todd Zeile and Bobby Bonilla.

And it's nearly a certainty that someone who used steroids is currently in the Hall. It is 100% certain that many inductees used substances that are currently banned.

I think people forgot the difference in ball games between now and then.

ERAs were half what they are now, at least the better pitchers of that ERA.

Mound was taller

Umpires called a better strike zone.

No DH

Kell played from 1943 to 1957. The lowest run environment in that period was his rookie year, at just under 4.00 runs per game. Kell played in a period where runs totals were about the same as today. And in his big 1950 season there were 4.85 per game, higher than all but five seasons in the 1995-2010 period.

I think that is confirmed by the lack of support for Lansford or Madlock.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10259259/greg-maddux-unanimous-hall-selection?fb_comment_id=fbc_240407906137622_657513_240447032800376#f3b077f3ac

Ken Gurnick of MLB.com says he's not voting for anyone from the steroid era because he's not sure of the players used steroids or not. So no vote for Maddux, none for F. Thomas, Glavine, or Mussina or anyone from the steroid era. Oh but I will vote for Jack Morris....

It would interest him to know that players were doing steroids during the time Jack Morris pitched and Morris is nowhere near as good as Maddux.

Please just restructure the voting, the system needs to be changed.

Archived