Emilio Bonifacio just got DFA (Bonifacio signs with Cubs)

Greg

I don't think Bonaficio could even find the hole. That is very bad when you cannot even find the hole.

There comes a time when you just have to relax man and go with the flow. 2 winning seasons does NOT deserve your huge amount of disrespect Birdland. Just give it up and put thoughts into your posts!

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would probably just take my chances with Schoop if we had an everyday need at a spot Bonifacio would fill. But honestly I would probably feel the same if Weeks or DeJesus was needed for anything more than backup service. None of these guys other than Schoop, when he is ready, are everyday players. I think Weeks is probably the best out if the guys we are talking about for a backup role in our situation. But that is because Flash can play every infield position well and is in effect a backup at the other positions. But I sure has heck would not want to make my living off of the difference between all of these guys and surely would not pick the most expensive one in this case. Which is what you are proposing.

Emilio Bonifacio - 2B - Royals

The Orioles have some interest in Emilio Bonifacio, Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun reports.

The Royals designated Bonifacio for assignment February 1 and they have 10 days from that date to trade or release him, with a trade being the most likely outcome. The Dodgers were another club believed to be a good fit, but they signed a similar player in Justin Turner to a minor league deal Wednesday. Bonifacio will make $3.5 million this season and could fill a utility role for the O's.

Related: Orioles

Emilio Bonifacio - 2B - Royals

The Orioles have some interest in Emilio Bonifacio, Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun reports.

The Royals designated Bonifacio for assignment February 1 and they have 10 days from that date to trade or release him, with a trade being the most likely outcome. The Dodgers were another club believed to be a good fit, but they signed a similar player in Justin Turner to a minor league deal Wednesday. Bonifacio will make $3.5 million this season and could fill a utility role for the O's.

Related: Orioles

Definitely don't think this guy is a need.

Just saying he's better then Weeks, Almanzar , Pearce , Peguero , Casilla .

I continue to disagree, from earlier:

Weeks also has more upside than Bonafacio. Also, interesting note, as a hitter, Weeks has been better in the majors despite a poor 2012 and a bat collection of ABs in 2013.

Weeks - career OPS .677/89 OPS+

Bonafacio - career OPS .662/79 OPS+

Add that in to the cheaper/younger/team control/options aspect and its a no-brainer IMO. Also, Flash can already play all over the diamond, so that's not as much of an asset in our case.

And Pearce, not sure why that's a comparison here because Peace is primarily a corner OF/DH, but he hit .261/.362/.420/.782 (111 OPS+) in platoon duty last season and has a career .694 OPS/87 OPS+

Admittedly haven't dug into the other guys numbers, but what makes you think Bonafacio gives this team anything we don't have or is better than any of the guys we already have. Now, if he is solely going to be on the AAA taxi squad, then maybe I can get behind this, w/e. But I don't think we should add him to the big league club. I personally like Weeks to have more potential upside as a MIF sub.

I continue to disagree, from earlier:

And Pearce, not sure why that's a comparison here because Peace is primarily a corner OF/DH, but he hit .261/.362/.420/.782 (111 OPS+) in platoon duty last season and has a career .694 OPS/87 OPS+

Admittedly haven't dug into the other guys numbers, but what makes you think Bonafacio gives this team anything we don't have or is better than any of the guys we already have. Now, if he is solely going to be on the AAA taxi squad, then maybe I can get behind this, w/e. But I don't think we should add him to the big league club. I personally like Weeks to have more potential upside as a MIF sub.

Bonafacio has plus speed and unlike Weeks, he can play infield defense. He's not sexy, but if they can get KC to eat half the salary I'd be interested in him as a platoon partner with Flaherty and a bench guy.

Archived