Schmuck Gives a Dose of Financial Reality

TonySoprano

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It took a while but the market recovered.

Maybe we should push the stock market conversation aside and focus on the O's financials. Again, the simple fact for me is the deprecate entity stance is unacceptable and unethical and it bothers me greatly.

As we were trying to point out, the market never recovers for those who cash out, or are cashed out by corporate failure. Mr. Angleos could well have been a victim of one of those scenarios. A 20 percent loss of wealth to a self made guy can cause a conservative approach going forward. We really don't know.

As we were trying to point out, the market never recovers for those who cash out, or are cashed out by corporate failure. Mr. Angleos could well have been a victim of one of those scenarios. A 20 percent loss of wealth to a self made guy can cause a conservative approach going forward. We really don't know.

Well, if Angelo's is using MASN profits to lessen the bleeding from other sides of his financial identity, I believe that is borderline immoral. If he was hurting that badly in2008, maybe he should've sold the team.

I'm not disagreeing with you Weams. I like what you're saying(must spread rep). I just highly doubt Pete's wallet his hurting today, in 2014.

Well, if Angelo's is using MASN profits to lessen the bleeding from other sides of his financial identity, I believe that is borderline immoral. If he was hurting that badly in2008, maybe he should've sold the team.

I'm not disagreeing with you Weams. I like what you're saying(must spread rep). I just highly doubt Pete's wallet his hurting today, in 2014.

There is not a doubt in my mind that if push came to shove he would bleed the team dry to prop up the law firm.

You are probably right. It was a simply a postulate.

I read that he dropped under 1B.

PA's holding in the Baltimore Orioles alone make this almost impossible. The O's are worth north of a billion with the MASN deal. So unless he was on the margin in a huge probably impossible way he is still worth more than a billion. Now he may not be extremely liquid but that is a different thing than what his net worth is.

PA's holding in the Baltimore Orioles alone make this almost impossible. The O's are worth north of a billion with the MASN deal. So unless he was on the margin in a huge probably impossible way he is still worth more than a billion. Now he may not be extremely liquid but that is a different thing than what his net worth is.

I believe he is not very liquid. I do believe that the Orioles were his best investment ever.

Similarly, Baltimore Orioles owner Peter Angelos had $1.2 billion as of the Forbes list of the 400 richest Americans last September, but we estimate his investments outside the team fell at least 30% during the recent market turmoil. That drop kept him off our list of the World’s Billionaires in March despite the Orioles’ value staying flat at $250 million this year. Angelos’ stake in the Mid-Atlantic Sports Network (MASN), which broadcasts Orioles and Washington Nationals games, adds millions more to his fortune.

http://www.forbes.com/2009/04/22/baseball-billionaires-baseball-values-09-business-billionaires-wealth.html

It took a while but the market recovered.

Maybe we should push the stock market conversation aside and focus on the O's financials. Again, the simple fact for me is the separate entity stance is unacceptable and unethical and it bothers me greatly.

Well, I am not sure what you mean by it. Angelos does not own MASN. It is owned 83% by Baltimore Orioles LP and 17% by WN Partner, the Nationals' ownership vehicle. If MASN issues dividends, 83% goes to the Orioles. So where is the ethics issue here?

Well, I am not sure what you mean by it. Angelos does not own MASN. It is owned 83% by Baltimore Orioles LP and 17% by WN Partner, the Nationals' ownership vehicle. If MASN issues dividends, 83% goes to the Orioles. So where is the ethics issue here?

How is the Baltimore Orioles LP arrangement different with MASN than with the Orioles? Does Angelos own the same percentage of each? While I get that the Nats get 17% and growing of the MASN profits, that leaves a healthy percentage for Angelos and pals to divide. The question I have is which entity has more profits, the Orioles MLB, or the Orioles share of MASN. I don't think we can get the answer to that one. There was supposed to be some sharing of the MASN money with the franchise, that is, if you choose to believe what Angelos had initially assured he would do.

Archived