Schmuck Gives a Dose of Financial Reality

TonySoprano

I just always assumed that Washington was inately unable to support a Baseball team on it's own. And that is why MLB consolidated the territory. I guess I was not better than that.

Interesting light reading.

Actually, the so-called "territory" first belonged to Washington since 1901. Hoffberger agreed to have his Natty Boh sponsor Griffith's Senators broadcasts and in exchange Washington allowed Baltimore to get the Browns. That's absolutely nothing compared to what Peter got in return over 50 years later. Washington approval was necessary because the Orioles were within 50 miles of the Senators.

I get that some on an Orioles board get ...disagreeable when the subject of Washington is brought up. As I've said before, I first grew up with the Senators until they left town, so I'm probably less kindly to remarks about D.C. losing baseball than many Baltimore people are at the sight of a Mayflower moving van and discussing the Irsays.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Actually, the so-called "territory" first belonged to Washington since 1901. Hoffberger agreed to have his Natty Boh sponsor Griffith's Senators broadcasts and in exchange Washington allowed Baltimore to get the Browns. That's absolutely nothing compared to what Peter got in return over 50 years later. Washington approval was necessary because the Orioles were within 50 miles of the Senators.

I get that some on an Orioles board get ...disagreeable when the subject of Washington is brought up. As I've said before, I first grew up with the Senators until they left town, so I'm probably less kindly to remarks about D.C. losing baseball than many Baltimore people are at the sight of a Mayflower moving van and discussing the Irsays.

Ted Williams was a manager for them. I liked him.

In 1970, I won a contest to be "honorary bat boy" for one game for the Senators. As such, I got to go into the dugout before the game and shake hands with Ted Williams and get his autograph. So far as I was concerned (at age 13), it was like shaking hands with a god.

Teddy Ballgame was my dad's favorite ballplayer. My dad practically lived at Griffith Stadium when he was of working age and before he got married. (He went probably for the cheap beer) I remember spending more time watching Ted watch the BP from behind the cage then the Senators taking the swings. It's all good, Weams.

In 1970, I won a contest to be "honorary bat boy" for one game for the Senators. As such, I got to go into the dugout before the game and shake hands with Ted Williams and get his autograph. So far as I was concerned (at age 13), it was like shaking hands with a god.

I think so as well.

Teddy Ballgame was my dad's favorite ballplayer. My dad practically lived at Griffith Stadium when he was of working age and before he got married. (He went probably for the cheap beer) I remember spending more time watching Ted watch the BP from behind the cage then the Senators taking the swings. It's all good, Weams.

My dad's favorite player as well. There were no Orioles back then and he always hated the Yankees.

Or, you could go back to this thread from December 2012. http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/128960-MLB-seeks-creative-solution-to-MASN-rights-fees-dispute-between-Nationals-Orioles These numbers have been out there for some time.

I'm skeptical that the new article is anything more than a regurgitation of what the Post reported more than a year ago. I doubt the reporters actually know whether the $8 mm "equity stake" payment actually was paid.

From various articles, it would appear that an $8M payment was made to the Nats for MASN profits, but ....

I would assume that the Nats have to purchase that 1% annual share in the network.

So, if the network were valued at $500M, then I assume $5M is paid by the Nats owners to the Os owners. We don't know if that $8M was "net" of owner's purchase or not. In that case, it is possible the Nats share of MASN profits is closer to $13M - making the network more profitable.

Maybe I am making something up here, but I agree that we need more explanation about what exactly constitutes the $8M.

Hoosier while it is possible that the Nats are required to pay for the additional equity position it is not likely. IT is part of the original deal and the additional equity position can be created by issuing dilutive shares to the Nats. The tax guys probably have run through the best way to handle this transaction but the reality is 8 million in cash was paid to the Nats.

This whole deal of the Nats complaining about their deal is BS IMO. The NAts are going to be paid more as time goes on but MASN is not and should not be required to set the market on what the value of the TV rights are. It appears that the NAts received about 37-42 million a year the last couple of years which does not seem out of line with other teams payments. Considering the Nats agreed to to share a substantial portion of the TV money with the O's the Nats' comp seems in line with the market. The crazy LAD deal may change things over the next several years but that deal has not been universally accepted as sustainable by the industry. When Philly renews in 2016 it will be very interesting how much they get and might be a basis for the Nats payments to take a jump.

I just actually heard the comments DD made at fanfest in regards to free agents.

Just amazing. He basically said if you think we will EVER sign a premium free agent you are wasting your energy because it isn't happening.

The mandate from ownership is clear as day at this point, such a sad state of affairs with where this team is right now.

Utterly disgusting actually.

I just actually heard the comments DD made at fanfest in regards to free agents.

Just amazing. He basically said if you think we will EVER sign a premium free agent you are wasting your energy because it isn't happening.

The mandate from ownership is clear as day at this point, such a sad state of affairs with where this team is right now.

It got a pretty comfortable response as it was delivered.

Hoosier while it is possible that the Nats are required to pay for the additional equity position it is not likely. IT is part of the original deal and the additional equity position can be created by issuing dilutive shares to the Nats. The tax guys probably have run through the best way to handle this transaction but the reality is 8 million in cash was paid to the Nats.

This whole deal of the Nats complaining about their deal is BS IMO. The NAts are going to be paid more as time goes on but MASN is not and should not be required to set the market on what the value of the TV rights are. It appears that the NAts received about 37-42 million a year the last couple of years which does not seem out of line with other teams payments. Considering the Nats agreed to to share a substantial portion of the TV money with the O's the Nats' comp seems in line with the market. The crazy LAD deal may change things over the next several years but that deal has not been universally accepted as sustainable by the industry. When Philly renews in 2016 it will be very interesting how much they get and might be a basis for the Nats payments to take a jump.

The Nats local TV rights fees from MASN are nowhere near what they would be on the free market - neither is the payment to the Os. Saying the Nats $ is "not out of line with other teams payments" is a statement that is way out there IMO. Compare what the Nats receive with Houston or Seattle and then explain why the Nats should get $40M.

That is not exactly what he said. He said this team's best players will come from the farm system and free agency will be used to supplement what we have. So, it depends a little on what you mean by a premium free agent. If you mean the Orioles will never be the team that goes out and signs Jacoby Ellsbury for $153 mm (or whatever the analogous move is that winter), then I think you're correct. But is that news?

Teddy Williams what a ball player!

The Senators were actually starting to improve and Short decided to tank it and trade his starting infield to Detroit for has-been McLain.

Well, the rest is history.

One more thing Short and Angelos have in common, I didn't remember Short was a lawyer before owning the team.

Archived