Road Trip to Orioles Spring Training in Sarasota, FL! (Post here if you are going to ST)

Living_Legend

Post here if you are going to ST...

I'm going to spring training, but not to Sarasota. My wife and I will leave on March 6 and I'm planning to take up to 3 days for the 1,000 mile drive. My wife has a cousin in Savannah she hasn't seen in years, so we may stop for a short visit there on Friday, then finish the trip down to Jupiter on Saturday. I have tickets for 5 games, Sunday through Thursday. Our daughters will fly down to join us for the games on Wednesday and Thursday. With 4 drivers, we're planning to leave after Thursday's game and drive straight through coming home.

No strip clubs, though we might have a drink or two. I'm opting for the Dodge Caravan over the Nissan Sentra because it will be more comfortable for me driving down and for my daughters on the drive back. Gas will be expensive but not outrageous. I figure the Sentra would use around $300 and the Dodge twice that. I've already spent $900 on tickets, hotel, and daughters' air fare, and I'm expecting to probably double that for fuel, food, and the hotels on the way down.

Too bad the O's and Cardinals are now on opposite coasts. We'll get to see the Braves, Tigers, Nationals, and the Mets (twice).

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm going to spring training, but not to Sarasota. My wife and I will leave on March 6 and I'm planning to take up to 3 days for the 1,000 mile drive. My wife has a cousin in Savannah she hasn't seen in years, so we may stop for a short visit there on Friday, then finish the trip down to Jupiter on Saturday. I have tickets for 5 games, Sunday through Thursday. Our daughters will fly down to join us for the games on Wednesday and Thursday. With 4 drivers, we're planning to leave after Thursday's game and drive straight through coming home.

No strip clubs, though we might have a drink or two. I'm opting for the Dodge Caravan over the Nissan Sentra because it will be more comfortable for me driving down and for my daughters on the drive back. Gas will be expensive but not outrageous. I figure the Sentra would use around $300 and the Dodge twice that. I've already spent $900 on tickets, hotel, and daughters' air fare, and I'm expecting to probably double that for fuel, food, and the hotels on the way down.

Too bad the O's and Cardinals are now on opposite coasts. We'll get to see the Braves, Tigers, Nationals, and the Mets (twice).

You could always drive alligator alley to come see us. We used to have to just to see our minor leaguers.

Ed Smith is an hour outside Ybor City.

Ybor is an interesting neighborhood.

We go there when picking up a few different guys for reunions each year. Hit Ybor - go pick up one, hit Ybor, go get another....love it! I'll be there 3/12 for arrivals and 19 to drop them off. Lot of bars, great Cuban sandwiches, cigar stores (for some), etc.

ry%3D400

You could always drive alligator alley to come see us. We used to have to just to see our minor leaguers.

When I was having meetings on that coast, the O's weren't around. I did catch a Blue Jays game once, but the ex-Cards on the team didn't play that afternoon. I've made the cross-Florida drive to Jupiter a couple times and it's a real pain.

The Cards used to train in St. Pete, but by the time I began having meetings there, they'd moved to Jupiter. They have a sweet setup there, with the minor league camp at the same facility and shared stadium with the Marlins. Just not many opponents within a short drive.

Very good chance me & my bachelor party will be at Ed Smith Friday, 3/21.

If anyone's around, drop me a line.

In town with a group of guys from the 20th through the 23rd. Planning on O's/Buc's on Friday. Maybe Bucs/Phils on Sat and O's/Skanks on Sunday before my flight.

Hank- As a 5 year veteran of this marriage thing, if I see your group I'll come bearing beers. If it was anything like the group of deviants & misfits that I had for my bachelor party you won't be hard to find.

http://roadtriptosarasota.blogspot.com/

Notes:

1-Never done a blog before

2-Not a good writer, can't spell, and my grammar will be all over the place

3-This is for fun, I will post things from my trip

4-There might be a lot of posts, there might be almost nothing

5-This will be half oriole pictures/videos/posts half random stuff

6-Most posts will be done when drunk at the end of the night

Notes:

Can't wait. Leaving tomorrow at noon! But.... Looks like Thursdays game might be rained out, sucks to drive 16 hours to a rain out.

Notes:

Have a great trip! Will be following your blog closely to live vicariously through your adventures.

My brother Tronblaster is still trying to make the trip solo to keep the tradition alive this year.

Notes:

5-This will be half oriole pictures/videos/posts half random stuff/HOTTIES at game and Cheetahs

Yeah we'll be following you and looking for you in the front two seats - get on youtube by having your chickie flash the camera?????

scOtt will follow you on the "Post Here When You're Drunk" thread.

Yeah we'll be following you and looking for you in the front two seats - get on youtube by having your chickie flash the camera?????

scOtt will follow you on the "Post Here When You're Drunk" thread.

We made it to BWI. Nothing stopping us now.

Archived