Orioles looking to go cheap WHATS NEW

Greg

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Signing one of these guys at a low price to add depth is fine.

Signing one of them and calling it a day while Burnett, Santana and Jimenez are still on the market would be infuriating.

Then you along with every other O's fan is going to be upset. Management knew they weren't going to sign any big names and made it seem like they were interested all the time. They knew they were going in on a cheap starter. As long as an Angelos owns this team this is what we have to live with. Plain and simple and IF people can't see that their just BLIND.

So Joe Saunders who was pretty good for us in 2012 when he needed to be.. is bad.. Chris Capuano who is a good #5 (eats up innings) and we say the O's are cheap because they want value for money spent?

I am sure all of you go out and buy the new Iphone every year too, right?

I'm not sure why, according to you, people are not allowed to be upset by this bit of news. How you make the leap from people disappointed the O's are looking at #5 starters at best to meaning they want the best and newest thing is beyond me.

A guy that makes 7 starts for us in 2012 and goes .500 gets a pass for last year where he had an ERA north of 5? Finally, simply not spending a lot of money does not mean you are getting value for your money. The threshold for gaining value is lower, but that does not mean a cheaper player is guaranteed to provide more value.

This is a club that is returning 6 quality starting position players and 4 relatively solid starters. I didn't think it was a necessity to overspend for a closer, liked the subtle Webb and Lough and Young moves, and just felt the team needed to aggressively move to add one quality starter. So, I have not been on here crying about the relatively quiet offseason. I didn't think they needed to make a lot of big moves...just one. When Burnett decided to pitch, I thought it was a perfect match. If we end up with Capuano or Saunders as the sole starter addition instead of luring one of the higher quality options here, I will feel we needed to make one key addition and disappointed.

I'm not sure why, according to you, people are not allowed to be upset by this bit of news. How you make the leap from people disappointed the O's are looking at #5 starters at best to meaning they want the best and newest thing is beyond me.

A guy that makes 7 starts for us in 2012 and goes .500 gets a pass for last year where he had an ERA north of 5? Finally, simply not spending a lot of money does not mean you are getting value for your money. The threshold for gaining value is lower, but that does not mean a cheaper player is guaranteed to provide more value.

Nobody has as any reason to be upset. This has been the par for the course over the last 12 years. My leap is so who cares if the O's are looking for a #5 starter, these guys are just that. Everybody on this forum wants a pitcher #1 or #2 starter (Iphone).

A guy who was clutch in our playoff run. People forget he pitch the WC game. He held Texas to 1 run in 5.2 IP in the O's biggest game since 1997.

No, but it's less risk. Every FA pitcher on the market or the market this year has either had huge risk or no upside.

Nobody has as any reason to be upset. This has been the par for the course over the last 12 years. My leap is so who cares if the O's are looking for a #5 starter, these guys are just that. Everybody on this forum wants a pitcher #1 or #2 starter (Iphone).

A guy who was clutch in our playoff run. People forget he pitch the WC game. He held Texas to 1 run in 5.2 IP in the O's biggest game since 1997.

No, but it's less risk. Every FA pitcher on the market or the market this year has either had huge risk or no upside.

Are you really making a case for Joe Saunders as anything more then a depth signing? Did you see his stats last year?

You're iPhone analogy is brutal and has no comparison to our situation.

Most people on this board understand signing an ace is unrealistic, but they do expect someone who can provide positive production.

And the problem with having Gausman in the rotation to start this year is it kills our depth. With an injury to Gonzo/Chen, or lack of production from Norris/Gausman and you are straight to the group of Johnson, McFarland, or Britton if he is still in the organization.

Birdland - Home of the Leftovers!

Seriously though, at this point why bother with these two guys? Are they any better then the subpar #5 pitcher we will put out there this season?

I'd like to say save the money and put it towards the farm system....but we all know that wont happen either.

Archived