O's won't let lost draft pick keep them from pursuing free agents

Greg

To me Duquette's response was the typical calculated ambigious speak that is pretty typical around here. The type of language used publicly to appease a restless fanbase and the type of language that they have no intention of following through with privately.

But you know what they say, actions speak louder than words. Here is yet another chance for Duquette to show that this organization has some cajones and wants to win now. (Santana, Jiminez, or Morales)

Will he do it?

#lowexpectations

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree with the posters who have said that, if you're going to lose a pick or two, I would have rather the O's signed the top free agents available, the impact guys who were looking for long, multi-year deals but could back it up with game-changing talent. The penalty is the same if you bring in "elite" talent or simply "above average."

Unfortunately, the money issue is what separates the two categories and prevents the O's from signing a one-man game-changer.

Also -- I realize it's the agents who make the decisions more than the players, but does anyone think that Duquette sacrificing a pick or two to bring in Santana, Jimenez and/or Morales could have a positive influence on guys like Hardy, Wieters or Davis? They might see that this team is actually serious about being a contender, which would make them more inclined to stick around for awhile.

Of course, money talks...

No. Hardy will stay for the security of not being traded for another 3-4 years, and Wieters and Davis are concerned about money. They will be on a playoff team regardless who signs them

Great! Why can't you have both? There is money that can be spent and it's not going to be spend on anyone else, and not on extensions for Wieters and Davis. I'd rather have Gausman and Santana/Jimenez peforming well over the next 3 years, and have the freedom to explore offers on Tillman, Norris, Chen, or Gonzalez next year.
Because I don't think Santana is any better than Chen or Gonzo, just a lot more expensive, I'd rather bet on Bundy, EdRod. and Wright, than commit to 36 M the next 3 years plus lose a pick.

At this point, I do not want Santana and Jiminez. Too much money, too much compensation. Once these five go either without contracts or have to take drastically reduced deals (Cruz, Drew, Santana, Jiminez and Morales), the collective bargaining agreement is going to be pushed by the union to modify this (or players will just all start taking the qualifying offers).

I can easily see Gausman putting up better numbers the next 3 years than Santana/Jimenez, and at 500K per v 13M. That's my point. If Santana/Jimenez were one year deals with out the loss of pick, there would be no question.

That wasn't my point. What numbers do you see Norris putting up (and at his $$$) over the next three years compared to Santana/Jimenez?

That wasn't my point. What numbers do you see Norris putting up (and at his $$$) over the next three years compared to Santana/Jimenez?
I see Britton pitching in the #4 slot until Gausman comes up and bumps him. I see Norris putting up his average 98 ERA + in the #5 spot. I see Bundy doing pretty much the same next season bumping Norris to the pen or getting him traded. I don't see the point in wasting 13 M per on another mid rotation SP.

I see Britton pitching in the #4 slot until Gausman comes up and bumps him. I see Norris putting up his average 98 ERA + in the #5 spot. I see Bundy doing pretty much the same next season bumping Norris to the pen or getting him traded. I don't see the point in wasting 13 M per on another mid rotation SP.

I doubt Norris has to worry about Gausman pushing him to the BP or off the team next year. Gausman will have pushed Britton onto waivers by may.

If we get Jiminez or Santana then my opinion of this offseason drastically changes. Honestly, im not a huge fan of considering the slight possibility that our 1st rd draft pick, that has a long shot at becomming anything decent to begin with, is more valuable than a proven #1 or #2 SP. Jiminez has proven in his career that he can compete for a cy young in the NL and AL, and Santana has proven that he can be even better than Tillman in the AL.

Why on earth should we pass that up? Honestly, what are the odds our 2014 1st rd pick becomes anywhere near that caliber player???

I can easily see Gausman putting up better numbers the next 3 years than Santana/Jimenez, and at 500K per v 13M. That's my point. If Santana/Jimenez were one year deals with out the loss of pick, there would be no question.

Ok...how about 3-4 years with Jimenez AND Gausman? Why does gausman affect if we should sign one of those guys or not? Santana or Jimenez would not be fighting for our #5 spot, those guys would be your opening day starter. Bud Norris is no comparison to either one of them considering hes nowhere close to their talant level. The closest thing on our team to either one of those guys is Chris Tillman

Again, jimenez and santana are not mid rotation guys. They are #1s and #2s , especially on the Os

If we get Jiminez or Santana then my opinion of this offseason drastically changes. Honestly, im not a huge fan of considering the slight possibility that our 1st rd draft pick, that has a long shot at becomming anything decent to begin with, is more valuable than a proven #1 or #2 SP. Jiminez has proven in his career that he can compete for a cy young in the NL and AL, and Santana has proven that he can be even better than Tillman in the AL.

Why on earth should we pass that up? Honestly, what are the odds our 2014 1st rd pick becomes anywhere near that caliber player???

Why? Besides the draft pick, they are:

1. Very to wildly inconsistent.

2. Overall mediocre.

3. Will cost far too much relative to their likely value.

I guess you're buying into Dave Wallace's magic string?

The funny thing is that he is absolutely not being treated like ANY of the other pitchers. Even if other get to go to the silly sting practice, this is about Britton. Serious time. He will either earn his way on to the team, or he'll go to the Cubs. (a joke)

Archived