Rosenthal via source: Burnett did, indeed, prefer the NL...

Il BuonO

What are the odds that AJ signs with the O's? Anyone care to venture a guess? He has yet to be quoted as saying anything about the O's.

I sure hope other avenues are being explored while AJ is listening to Dust in the Wind on his Ipod, while strolling along the Prettyboy Dam, contemplating his future. This team needs starting pitching, and badly. Last year should be fresh in the minds of all involved when considering going into 2014 with what they already have. Again.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd say about one in three. If DD didn't think there was a real shot then I don't think he would be waiting like he is.

Fair enough. What about the odds that the O's are actively talking to one or more of Garza, Jimenez, Santana while waiting on AJ?

I fear a situation where dominoes fall, and fast, and we are left with "in-house" options.

Fair enough. What about the odds that the O's are actively talking to one or more of Garza, Jimenez, Santana while waiting on AJ?

I fear a situation where dominoes fall, and fast, and we are left with "in-house" options.

The in-house options may have the best odds at this point.

Since Jiminenez and Santana would require the loss of our first round pick, and Garza is thought to be requiring at least a 4 year deal, I would say the odds are very slim that the Orioles are in on any of them. I would guess that we have probably touched base with guys like Arroyo and Maholm, though.

The in-house options may have the best odds at this point.

Yup, odds makers would almost certainly agree with you. Using historical context, the chances of the O's spending big on a SP are unlikely. Zach Britton! Come on down!

Since Jiminenez and Santana would require the loss of our first round pick, and Garza is thought to be requiring at least a 4 year deal, I would say the odds are very slim that the Orioles are in on any of them. I would guess that we have probably touched base with guys like Arroyo and Maholm, though.

I agree. If the O's spend on a SP, and I have my doubts, Arroyo and Maholm are likely to be the O's big additions. Though I would say an established closer is the most likely, next, and only major addition the O's make.

I think the Orioles will sign two guys. I could still see them adding Nelson Cruz on a 1-year deal if nobody comes in to offer him more, and I think they sign at least one pitcher.

I want AJ and Arroyo. Or one of them plus Hammel on a good deal. I don't think they give up a draft pick to only sign Cruz to 1 year though.

Running out of chairs

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Too bad ?<a href="https://twitter.com/937TeenWolf">@937TeenWolf</a>: <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Pirates&src=hash">#Pirates</a> pitching coach Ray Searage on A.J. Burnett: "Right now I'm leaning that way, where he's going to retire."?</p>— keithlaw (@keithlaw) <a href="

">January 9, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Running out of chairs

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Too bad ?<a href="https://twitter.com/937TeenWolf">@937TeenWolf</a>: <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Pirates&src=hash">#Pirates</a> pitching coach Ray Searage on A.J. Burnett: "Right now I'm leaning that way, where he's going to retire."?</p>— keithlaw (@keithlaw) <a href="

">January 9, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Putting all your eggs in one basket burns the Orioles again. This year is gonna be a mess.

Let's be realistic here. We all knew Burnett being an Oriole was a long shot. Just because the Pirates pitching coach THINKS he's going to retire doesn't mean he will.

If Burnett retires and we get Arroyo, I'd still be happy.

Why are you even getting your hopes up ?

Archived