Rosenthal via source: Burnett did, indeed, prefer the NL...

Il BuonO

Sure. But Tanaka is likely not affecting the pitchers in the tier Baltimore is exploring.

I'd have to disagree with you there. I think the Tanaka signing will set the market, and what teams will be bidding in it, for the next tier, as well. The players don't want to sign right away, only to find out the next week that the Yankees and other teams with deep pockets missed out on Tanaka and need to sign another SP. Baltimore is certainly not the only team in a seeming holding pattern regarding SP at this time.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah I doubt Garza. I meant poke AJ's agent then proceed in earnest with other agents like AJ decided to retire. Might actually get a deal with Arroyo or it might force AJ to make a decision.

I'm with you. I just hope he's looking at Arroyo as more than leverage.

I'd have to disagree with you there. I think the Tanaka signing will set the market, and what teams will be bidding in it, for the next tier, as well. The players don't want to sign right away, only to find out the next week that the Yankees and other teams with deep pockets missed out on Tanaka and need to sign another SP. Baltimore is certainly not the only team in a seeming holding pattern regarding SP at this time.

Because if Tanaka signs for 6/140 in SEA, as opposed to 6/120 in NY, that should give Arroyo extra leverage. Makes complete sense.

Because if Tanaka signs for 6/140 in SEA, as opposed to 6/120 in NY, that should give Arroyo extra leverage. Makes complete sense.

You would think that wouldn't affect AJ tho since he's pretty much said it's Pitt, us or retire.

But we also have no leverage to push him either, except rumors like I said above.

I don't think that his point was that the amount would necessarily give Arroyo more leverage, rather that the teams who did not come away with Tanaka would be more desperate for a competent SP to fill out their rotation. In your scenario, if Tanaka signs for 6/140 in SEA, as opposed to 6/120 in NY, then NY will be more inclined to give in to what Arroyo wants in order to sign him over another team. In the meantime, they can offer him peanuts because they're still in play for who they really want. If they get him for a low ball deal before they sign Tanaka, then great they have two SPs with one signed at a bargain.

I don't think that his point was that the amount would necessarily give Arroyo more leverage, rather that the teams who did not come away with Tanaka would be more desperate for a competent SP to fill out their rotation. In your scenario, if Tanaka signs for 6/140 in SEA, as opposed to 6/120 in NY, then NY will be more inclined to give in to what Arroyo wants in order to sign him over another team. In the meantime, they can offer him peanuts because they're still in play for who they really want. If they get him for a low ball deal before they sign Tanaka, then great they have two SPs with one signed at a bargain.

That's sort of like saying the Yankees are more likely to give Drew what he wants because Cano went to Seattle. Tanaka is being targeted for a specific role. Arroyo can't fill that role.

Ok, that's what I thought, but that's not really comparable. Drew has only ever played SS, so he doesn't fill the role of Cano. Arroyo is much more similar to fulfilling the role Tanaka would for the NYY-quality SP-than Drew is to Cano.

How does Arroyo give the Yankees a possible 1/2/3 starter? Arroyo and Tanaka aren't remotely comparable as far as how they're being viewed on the open market.

How does Arroyo give the Yankees a possible 1/2/3 starter? Arroyo and Tanaka aren't remotely comparable as far as how they're being viewed on the open market.

But he would give them an option that gives them a 3/4/5 starter considering the NYY don't have a ton there. That's sort of the original point, by the way. Arroyo is viewed well behind Tanaka. No team is thinking about giving Arroyo close to what he likely wants at this point since they have much better options in play. He's in a tier down, though, so teams that don't get Tanaka may be much more willing to give him what he wants when that sweepstakes concludes.

But he would give them an option that gives them a 3/4/5 starter considering the NYY don't have a ton there. That's sort of the original point, by the way. Arroyo is viewed well behind Tanaka. No team is thinking about giving Arroyo close to what he likely wants at this point since they have much better options in play. He's in a tier down, though, so teams that don't get Tanaka may be much more willing to give him what he wants when that sweepstakes concludes.

But the argument can't come from both sides. If all the teams interested in Tanaka would also potentially by interested in Arroyo, why would Arroyo choose Baltimore of all places to sign? If those teams are waiting to see if they get Tanaka, shouldn't Baltimore take advantage and pay Arroyo an extra million or two (or an extra year) to bring him in?

I would guess the answer is that the Orioles view a number of arms as essentially interchangeable at this point, and are content to sign the cheapest of the bunch when the dust settles.

#Proactive

Isn't there some logic to the point that there is a finite amount of available credible pitching and although they are not all comparable talent wise, as the pool becomes smaller, those left, will have their value increased if some of the the renaming teams looking for pitching are those that expect to make the post season year in and year out and have money to spend? If we use the Yankees as an example, and they do not sign Tanaka, how can they not give in to some degree to one or more of the remaining FA SP's? What choice do they have?

Archived