Rosenthal via source: Burnett did, indeed, prefer the NL...

Il BuonO

I don't think Burnett is going to sign with the Orioles. That being said, if he did wouldn't he be some kind of creep? I mean, he vowed to either retire or pitch for the Pirates this season. The Pirates have gone about their business as if Burnett wouldn't be pitching for them this season but they have publicly stated that they have the money to sign him if he decides to play. If Burnett should turn around and sign with the Orioles, I'd imagine most around here would welcome him with open arms. BUT, if he were an Oriole last year and had said the same things and then signed with another team, I'd imagine he would be considered the worst traitor since Mike Mussina or Benedict Arnold.

Well, I think calling it a vow is too strong of a term. It isn't like he took a solemn oath. He said that he was looking at either retiring or returning to the Pirates. Nothing more than that. Besides, something like that is always subject to factors like what are the Pirates offering. After all, they chose not to give him a qualifying offer. Additionally, I'm not sure what you mean by the bolded. Again, they didn't offer him the $14.1 QO, and I haven't seen anything about them being prepared to offer that kind of money. Have you?

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
CBS Sports' Jon Heyman reports that A.J. Burnett has yet to decide whether he'll pitch in 2014 or retire.

Burnett is certainly dragging things out, but Heyman says the veteran right-hander "still has a bit of time" because "most free agent pitchers haven't decided on teams yet." Pirates president Frank Coonelly said Thursday that the club has "turned the page" on Burnett but also added that they'd "love to have him" if he ultimately decides to continue his career. The feeling is that Burnett will either pitch for the Pirates or retire, but the Orioles are also known to have interest in him. Jan 24 - 11:24 AM

By R Campbell Sproul - Oct 22nd, 2013

AJBurnettKeepCalmWhile it was somewhat commonly expected, we’ve now heard the words straight from the horse’s mouth: A.J. Burnett will either retire this offseason, or return to the Pirates.

In the interview with Colin Dunlap on 93.7 The Fan last night, Burnett said that the first deciding factor in whether he retires or comes back to the Pirates for another season is his wife and kids,

Now, Burnett didn't specify that he might play for another team if they offered him more money. He just said he would either retire or play for the Pirates. The Pirates didn't make the qualifying offer because they didn't want to commit 14M to him. Obviously, they might take him back on a lower amount. If the Orioles offer him 12M and the Pirates offer 10M does that make it right for Burnett to go back on what he said? Again, if he were an Oriole and said what he did and then signed with another team for 2 or 3M more, I doubt there would be much compassion for him.

Umm, OK. That's a vow to you? As I said, " He said that he was looking at either retiring or returning to the Pirates. Nothing more than that. Besides, something like that is always subject to factors like what are the Pirates offering."

That's why they call them "contracts" with little things called "signatures" at the bottom. Not "vows" or "oaths" or "maybes". If Burnett decides to become an Oriole, it is probably because of the Md connection and being closer to home. Which is a fine and valid reason and nothing anybody should give him any grief about.

I don't think Burnett is going to sign with the Orioles. That being said, if he did wouldn't he be some kind of creep? I mean, he vowed to either retire or pitch for the Pirates this season. The Pirates have gone about their business as if Burnett wouldn't be pitching for them this season but they have publicly stated that they have the money to sign him if he decides to play. If Burnett should turn around and sign with the Orioles, I'd imagine most around here would welcome him with open arms. BUT, if he were an Oriole last year and had said the same things and then signed with another team, I'd imagine he would be considered the worst traitor since Mike Mussina or Benedict Arnold.
I guess I missed the part where the Orioles drafted, developed and had Burnett pitch 10 years for them in your scenario.

I don’t think that Burnett owes the Pirates any particular consideration. But I still get oddly annoyed by ageing sports stars who drag out their end of career decisions. I understand that it is very bizarre to have your intimate moves reported on twitter. Plus Burnett is the most mild example of this type of thing (compared to say Brett Favre, Roger Clemens)…but still…make a decision already and tell people so that they can get on with their businesses, lives etc.!

"We've got funds we would gladly allocate to A.J. If he or others want a market-value deal, they'll sign elsewhere."

"There is money available, but the question is how do we build around A.J.? We've got some other soft spots to address, and where do we go there with the money that A.J. may ultimately cost us?"

That is the Pirate's GM talking. They are just like the Orioles. They are interested in signing a Free Agent only if that Free Agent would agree to play for a very team friendly under market discount.

In other words they don't appear to be really serious in resigning him. Wouldn't surprise me if their offer to AJ is some low ball 1yr/8$M deal if even that.

If he turned that down and instead chose a team that genuinely wanted his services would that make him a creep? Not to me. If anything a cheap ungrateful team like the Pirates are the creep.

A.J. Burnett is unquestionably the biggest creep that I have seen or read about in quite some time.

He's a despicable man, a louse to the max, and he cannot be trusted in any type of situation whatsoever. He's mean to his peers, he makes fun of little kids, and he gives old ladies the middle finger just for sport.

So let's sign him to a contract right away, and put him in our starting rotation.

Archived