Rosenthal via source: Burnett did, indeed, prefer the NL...

Il BuonO

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But the argument can't come from both sides. If all the teams interested in Tanaka would also potentially by interested in Arroyo, why would Arroyo choose Baltimore of all places to sign? If those teams are waiting to see if they get Tanaka, shouldn't Baltimore take advantage and pay Arroyo an extra million or two (or an extra year) to bring him in?

I would guess the answer is that the Orioles view a number of arms as essentially interchangeable at this point, and are content to sign the cheapest of the bunch when the dust settles.

#Proactive

And this I can agree with, I was just discussing the incentive Arroyo has to wait until after Tanaka is signed - that he would potentially have more leverage. Unfortunately none of us has any real knowledge of the specific numbers being discussed, which makes this discussion purely speculative (but an interesting one to have nonetheless).

Isn't there some logic to the point that there is a finite amount of available credible pitching and although they are not all comparable talent wise, as the pool becomes smaller, those left, will have their value increased if some of the the renaming teams looking for pitching are those that expect to make the post season year in and year out and have money to spend? If we use the Yankees as an example, and they do not sign Tanaka, how can they not give in to some degree to one or more of the remaining FA SP's? What choice do they have?

There are more teams interested in Tanaka (or Garza) than credible arms left on the market. One reason there has been buzz around Garza/Minnesota is that the Twins would like to try and lock him up before the competition for him stiffens (once the runners up w/r/t Tanaka start sniffing around).

Another way to look at it, consider the Dodgers' interest in Tanaka. If they don't get Tanaka they simply go into the season with the guys they have. Arroyo only makes sense for a Tanaka runner-up if that runner up desperately needs an arm and the arms available are better than what they can put together in-house.

But the argument can't come from both sides. If all the teams interested in Tanaka would also potentially by interested in Arroyo, why would Arroyo choose Baltimore of all places to sign? If those teams are waiting to see if they get Tanaka, shouldn't Baltimore take advantage and pay Arroyo an extra million or two (or an extra year) to bring him in?

I would guess the answer is that the Orioles view a number of arms as essentially interchangeable at this point, and are content to sign the cheapest of the bunch when the dust settles.

#Proactive

Exactly that! Go aggressive for Arroyo. You either get him or you stoke the fires of AJ.

Arroyo is probably the least expensive of the veteran starters left(excluding Saunders) and will pass the physical so easily PA will probably say why didn't you bring this guy in earlier? Garza will not pass our physical and I like him as my 1st choice. Santana is too up and down and the other guy Jiminez needs his pitching coach to go with him. Sign Arroyo if AJ says no and obtain Ike Davis. DD should then make a decision about Rodney and work on a Butler deal with the Royals. Let's go with the 2014 season. I like our chances.

You would think that wouldn't affect AJ tho since he's pretty much said it's Pitt, us or retire.

But we also have no leverage to push him either, except rumors like I said above.

Where has AJ mentioned the O's as a team he's interested in? I'm not asking this is any sort of challenging kind of manner, but as a serious question. I hadn't seen him mention the O's and after searching can only find speculation. Is he quoted as mentioning potential interest in the O's? It would cheer me up a little if he did.

Where has AJ mentioned the O's as a team he's interested in? I'm not asking this is any sort of challenging kind of manner, but as a serious question. I hadn't seen him mention the O's and after searching can only find speculation. Is he quoted as mentioning potential interest in the O's? It would cheer me up a little if he did.
No quotes, just an assumption because he lives in Monkton.

No quotes, just an assumption because he lives in Monkton.

Thanks. Must spread rep. Pretty much what I figured, but was hoping for a direct quote.

Your emphasis on three particular letters rings especially true when discussing the O's and any assumed interest in a free agent starting pitcher. ;)

Has anyone seen this on Wikipedia? Anyone can post on it so who knows if its true:

He was diagnosed with Gilbert's syndrome, a rare but benign genetic defect in the liver in which bilirubin conjugation ability may lead to mild jaundice under certain conditions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A._J._Burnett

Also from Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilbert's_syndrome

Jaundice[edit]

Gilbert's syndrome produces an elevated level of unconjugated bilirubin in the bloodstream but normally has no serious consequences. Mild jaundice may appear under conditions of exertion, stress, fasting, and infections, but the condition is otherwise usually asymptomatic.[8][9]

Has anyone seen this on Wikipedia? Anyone can post on it so who knows if its true:

He was diagnosed with Gilbert's syndrome, a rare but benign genetic defect in the liver in which bilirubin conjugation ability may lead to mild jaundice under certain conditions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A._J._Burnett

Also from Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilbert's_syndrome

Jaundice[edit]

Gilbert's syndrome produces an elevated level of unconjugated bilirubin in the bloodstream but normally has no serious consequences. Mild jaundice may appear under conditions of exertion, stress, fasting, and infections, but the condition is otherwise usually asymptomatic.[8][9]

I'm sure it comes up in the medical report if he becomes an option. ;)

Archived