Rosenthal via source: Burnett did, indeed, prefer the NL...

Il BuonO

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The O's payroll has never reached 100 million. Twins were at 113 million in 2011. Lots of money to be made at Target field if they have a good team.

I know you aren't doing this, but to be clear, we aren't going to take a stance on this board that Twins have financial advantages over the Orioles, right?

I know you aren't doing this, but to be clear, we aren't going to take a stance on this board that Twins have financial advantages over the Orioles, right?

I will make a stance that the Twins ownership has been willing to support a level of player payroll that the O's are not.

And that is more important then which team has the better revenue stream.

I will make a stance that the Twins ownership has been willing to support a level of player payroll that the O's are not.

And that is more important then which team has the better revenue stream.

I think you also have to add that their fan base has shown a higher level of support as well based on their superior attendance figures.

I think you also have to add that their fan base has shown a higher level of support as well based on their superior attendance figures.

The Twins had their honeymoon after Target Field opened, but their attendance has dropped by nearly 700,000 fans over the last two years. There's little question that Target helped them raise the payroll, but their attendance last year was only 200-250,000 higher than what they were doing at the Metrodome the last several years before they moved. Of course, they've had an awful team despite their high payrolls the last couple years.

The Twins had their honeymoon after Target Field opened, but their attendance has dropped by nearly 700,000 fans over the last two years. There's little question that Target helped them raise the payroll, but their attendance last year was only 200-250,000 higher than what they were doing at the Metrodome the last several years before they moved. Of course, they've had an awful team despite their high payrolls the last couple years.

While that is true the revenue stream coming out of Target field is higher then the Metrodome even if attendance was identical.

While that is true the revenue stream coming out of Target field is higher then the Metrodome even if attendance was identical.

True. They also did a new TV deal which is modest by MLB standards (and less than the O's get in rights fees from MASN) but a huge increase over what they were getting before.

I agree with everything you say here. The Twins attendance seems to be softening but they still have the advantage over us for the time being.

I agree with everything you say here. The Twins attendance seems to be softening but they still have the advantage over us for the time being.

Sounds like a little of both. Making a little more overall revenue than us and more willingness to put that money back into the team. Regardless of the team they have...

"Hey, AJ, we have an offer from Dan Duquette this morning. He says it's their final offer before moving on. One year $12 million with a player option in case you want to come back next year."

I assume DD is still at least in touch with AJ's agent. It would be more like Duquette to suddenly have rumors surface that he's talking to Arroyo, Garza, whoever. Poke Burnette with a stick.

I assume DD is still at least in touch with AJ's agent. It would be more like Duquette to suddenly have rumors surface that he's talking to Arroyo, Garza, whoever. Poke Burnette with a stick.

I'm sure he's not talking to Garza, but I really hope that he's talking to Arroyo in addition to AJ. I'd be pretty pleased to have both of them this year.

I'm sure he's not talking to Garza, but I really hope that he's talking to Arroyo in addition to AJ. I'd be pretty pleased to have both of them this year.

Yeah I doubt Garza. I meant poke AJ's agent then proceed in earnest with other agents like AJ decided to retire. Might actually get a deal with Arroyo or it might force AJ to make a decision.

Which gets back to, "Why wait around for Burnett to decide if he even wants to play baseball?"

I'm not so sure that it is the teams, including the Orioles, that are driving this waiting period. It seems to me that the attractive free agent SPs have every reason to hold off on signing anywhere until the Tanaka auction has a winner. My guess is the only reason Garza et al would sign before Tanaka signs somewhere would be that they receive a ridiculously high offer.

I'm not so sure that it is the teams, including the Orioles, that are driving this waiting period. It seems to me that the attractive free agent SPs have every reason to hold off on signing anywhere until the Tanaka auction has a winner. My guess is the only reason Garza et al would sign before Tanaka signs somewhere would be that they receive a ridiculously high offer.

Sure. But Tanaka is likely not affecting the pitchers in the tier Baltimore is exploring.

Archived