Orioles seem to prefer Cruz to Morales

Greg

I prefer Morales because I just think he is a better player. The PEDs make me want to shy away from Cruz, but even before them, I think Morales was better.

I know Morales had the leg injury, but it should not be something that significantly affects him long term. I had the same injury and it took a little while to get comfortable and for things to feel right, but after a relatively short time, it did not bother me at all. And I am guessing he had/has access to better medical care than I did. :)

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cruz scares me for two reasons. First, he's a .912 OPS hitter at home and .734 hitter on the road, and thus largely a creature of the Ballpark at Arlington. Second, the PED suspension -- who knows if he'll be the same player when he returns, or whether he'll get suspended again?

The 3-year park factors for hitters in Texas is 104, and in Baltimore 106.

Morales is the better all around hitter IMO, plus he is a SH, but he is mostly a DH. Cruz hits for more power and can play a passable LF. That would move Lough to 4th OF and late inning defense. Still have a Henry/Young/Pearce/Almanzar, etc. platoon at DH. More flexibility all around.

Cruz can at least pretend to play some corner OF, which will be nice next year if Markakis leaves via FA, but he's 3 years older and by no means a good defender.

Yeah, pretend is the right word. If we do end up signing him, I want it to be as DH only. He is an adventure in the outfield, and I don't want him to screw up the enjoyment I have gotten out of good defense the last few years. :)

I was at one of the O's-Rangers games in Texas last July and he was a mess in RF. I sat in the RF stands, and he misjudged and misplayed a few balls hit out there. It was not pretty. If we sign him, I would only want him in the field in an emergency situation.

I'd like the switch hitter who can play every day. I think part of the reason for our low output from DH last year is that platooning players means that guys only get a handful of at bats per week. It's probably hard enough getting into a groove without playing D, probably really hard when your AB's are not steady.

I like what mlbtraderumors says:

He may be below average defensively, but he's far from the worst outfielder in the league.

Ultimately, as a reliable source of 25 home runs (at least) from the right side of the dish, my expectation is that Cruz can overcome any perceived warts to find a three-year, $39MM contract.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/11/free-agent-profile-nelson-cruz.html

Yeah, pretend is the right word. If we do end up signing him, I want it to be as DH only. He is an adventure in the outfield, and I don't want him to screw up the enjoyment I have gotten out of good defense the last few years. :)

I was at one of the O's-Rangers games in Texas last July and he was a mess in RF. I sat in the RF stands, and he misjudged and misplayed a few balls hit out there. It was not pretty. If we sign him, I would only want him in the field in an emergency situation.

I was at a game at OPACY and I saw Adam Jones screw up a few plays in one game. I don't understand why they don't make him a DH.

Is the Ballpark at Arlington that much more hitter friendly than Camden Yards?
The 3-year park factors for hitters in Texas is 104, and in Baltimore 106.

Also this is how the parks were statted 2013, coutesy ESPN. They have OPACY at #10 and Arlington at 17. OPACY was approximately a fifth of a run higher per game.

This is pretty much a wild guess, but I could see them liking Cruz' ability (or lack thereof) to play LF. That would allow them to use Lough as a 4th outfielder and rotate at bats between Reimold, Urrutia and Cruz in the DH/LF slots. I wouldn't be a fan of this, since i want them to give Lough a real shot and I just want us to be as good defensively as we can be. But I could see the reasoning of having more power bats in the lineup on a given night, having that second platoon spot available. Morales would be more limited in this respect, but again, I would prefer him and his attractive splits a hundredfold. He wouldn't just be adding his numbers to our offence, I think he would make our whole lineup much better just by hitting behind Crush. I remember a lot of situations, where Davis was pitched around with RISP and the Wieters just tanked it. I like our lineup as is, but with Morales I think our offense will scare the crap out of the Al East.

Me hat a great day! We signed a real legit starter that helps this team long term. We are talking about adding more SP depth AND a real bat.

Pinch me...... What a relief to Oriole fans! We deserve this! Go O's!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived