Monica Pence Barlow RIP

Greg

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having seen what the "C" word has done to people, it sure seemed like Monica lived her life to the fullest, despite what was no doubt very tough times.

After reading some experiences here, I'd have to go along with what Scott says...would've been nice to get to meet her. Prayers up for her family and friends.

Britt talks about Monica.

When I first met Monica Barlow, after taking over the Orioles beat in February 2010, I had to be told she was sick. I still remember sitting next to her at the now-annual dinner with the city of Sarasota, and her telling me she had lung cancer in the same manner you would use to ask someone to pass the bread basket. That was Monica: stoic, unflappable and someone who had absolutely no use for anyone’s pity.

I didn’t know how bad it was, Stage IV diagnosed the previous September, until my former colleague, the Baltimore’s Sun Jeff Zrebiec filled me in. How many guys in here, Zrebiec said gesturing around the Orioles’ clubhouse that spring day, do you think even know how sick she is?

http://brittghiroli.mlblogs.com/

Sounds like a really special woman, who touched a lot of lives. I was unfamiliar with her before this thread...but it has certainly made me well up a bit. Thoughts and prayers with her and her family as well as the Orioles family.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 4.

I'm not certain that I met Monica, but when I took my then 4 month old daughter to her first game in September 2012, a woman in the Warehouse made sure we went home with a bunch of baby Orioles gear, including a certificate commentating Aubrey's first game (my avatar photo). If I remember correctly, the woman who took care of us looked just like Monica.

Having just lost my mother after her two year battle with brain cancer (58 years old), I know how incredibly difficult this is for her family and friends. Having a family like the fine members of the OH community certainly helps lessen the burden. I will direct my prayers to all of the people Monica touched throughout her life.

Weams, if you hear of a charity we can donate in honor of Monica, please let me know. I'd also be willing to donate towards flowers if the OH would like to send some.

I'm not certain that I met Monica, but when I took my then 4 month old daughter to her first game in September 2012, a woman in the Warehouse made sure we went home with a bunch of baby Orioles gear, including a certificate commentating Aubrey's first game (my avatar photo). If I remember correctly, the woman who took care of us looked just like Monica.

Having just lost my mother after her two year battle with brain cancer (58 years old), I know how incredibly difficult this is for her family and friends. Having a family like the fine members of the OH community certainly helps lessen the burden. I will direct my prayers to all of the people Monica touched throughout her life.

Weams, if you hear of a charity we can donate in honor of Monica, please let me know. I'd also be willing to donate towards flowers if the OH would like to send some.

First of all, my condolences to you and your family as well. The story you tell does sound like Monica. I have shared all of these stories about how Monica touched lives here with the appropriate individuals. I do think that there will be some type of program set up to honor her. If I hear something in particular, I will pass it on. We already know what her charities were, and I am sure anyone who wishes could contribute to them. The guys are pretty broken up about this. I will let you all know what I hear.

First of all, my condolences to you and your family as well. The story you tell does sound like Monica. I have shared all of these stories about how Monica touched lives here with the appropriate individuals. I do think that there will be some type of program set up to honor her. If I hear something in particular, I will pass it on. We already know what her charities were, and I am sure anyone who wishes could contribute to them. They guys are pretty broken up about this. I will let you all know what I hear.

As always, thanks weams. And also as always, I must spread rep.

My condolences to her family and friends to include all here on the OH that knew and/or had dealings with her. Everything I've read sounds like she was a very special person. May she rest in piece.

As a cancer survivor I'd like to say Cancer Sucks.

Please pardon my language and I apologize if my saying that at this time is deemed inappropriate by anyone.

Life is short...enjoy it while you still can and let those you care about know how you feel!!

My condolences to her family and friends to include all here on the OH that knew and/or had dealings with her. Everything I've read sounds like she was a very special person. May she rest in piece.

As a cancer survivor I'd like to say Cancer Sucks.

Please pardon my language and I apologize if my saying that at this time is deemed inappropriate by anyone.

Life is short...enjoy it while you still can and let those you care about know how you feel!!

Even a short life can be meaningful when lived well.

Archived