Orioles Searching Outside Organization for Backup C (per Roch)

canonfaz

I think it's pretty sad when we talk about pitch framing as an important part of a catcher's value. Basically what it says is that you need a catcher who can lobby the home plate umpire to get strike calls that their pitcher doesn't otherwise deserve (and to avoid losing strikes that their pitcher does deserve).

Any report that emphasizes differences in pitch framing ability across catchers is also an indictment of the abilities of home plate umpires to call balls and strikes accurately. If home plate umpires were doing their job, both teams would get the same strike zone and pitch framing wouldn't matter.

If home plate umpires are that bad at calling balls and strikes, it's time to turn balls and strikes over to Questec.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think it's pretty sad when we talk about pitch framing as an important part of a catcher's value. Basically what it says is that you need a catcher who can lobby the home plate umpire to get strike calls that their pitcher doesn't otherwise deserve (and to avoid losing strikes that their pitcher does deserve).

Any report that emphasizes differences in pitch framing ability across catchers is also an indictment of the abilities of home plate umpires to call balls and strikes accurately. If home plate umpires were doing their job, both teams would get the same strike zone and pitch framing wouldn't matter.

If home plate umpires are that bad at calling balls and strikes, it's time to turn balls and strikes over to Questec.

It is, but it's been part of the game since forever. Same thing goes for giving reputation strikes to veterans and pitchers that exhibit good command and not to pitchers who are erratic. I could be wrong, but i think most of us would prefer to use the technology we have in place to call balls and strikes. I think the umps try and do their best. I also think they've loosened up the strike zone to some extent to move the game along.

That said, an automated strike zone could change the game to some extent. Low sector pitches are called a lot less frequently. You'd probably have pitchers working the bottom quadrants much more effectively than they do now.

There was an interesting study last year that showed that the strike zone expands once a count reaches 3-0 and contracts when the count is 0-2. There is no doubt that umpires' strike zones are influenced by many things, and I am sure pitch framing is one of those influences.

On a separate point, I reject any notion that Wieters is a "lazy" catcher who fails to block pitches in the dirt with his body. He has a great ability to use his glove when necessary but I don't think he does that in substitution for blocking with his body.

One other area where I feel Wieters excels, though I can't find any data on the topic, is in catching foul tips. Anyone know if there is research on this?

This is what I know about Wieters: there are fewer PB and WP when he is catching. There are fewer SB attempts and fewer SB. Pitchers seldom shake him off, and when they have a good outing are quick to credit their catcher. Buck swears by him, and he is highly regarded in the game by those who play it. Of all the defensive metrics, the least useful IMO, are those attempting to measure a catchers game.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Johnny Monell Has been sent out. Clevenger appears to have won the backup C job but Os still looking at options outside org.</p>— Dan Connolly (@danconnollysun) <a href="

">March 19, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Buck says Caleb Joseph will stay in camp until the end <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23orioles&src=hash">#orioles</a></p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="
">March 19, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I wonder if it's still a competition??

Buck is using his catchers a lot this ST and more while Wieters rested his rolled ankle. I have heard several national writers in the last two weeks say Wieters is gone. I think they will trade him possibly before the season starts or by the trade deadline this summer. I think Clevenger and joseph both look okay behind the plate and calling pitches. I still think his replacement will be part of the package coming back to us in a trade for him.

Buck is using his catchers a lot this ST and more while Wieters rested his rolled ankle. I have heard several national writers in the last two weeks say Wieters is gone. I think they will trade him possibly before the season starts or by the trade deadline this summer. I think Clevenger and joseph both look okay behind the plate and calling pitches. I still think his replacement will be part of the package coming back to us in a trade for him.

Why would anybody trade for Wieters if they have a suitable replacement for him?

I think it is more likely just a reward for Caleb.

No, I think there are simply good reasons to have at least three cacthers in major league camp right all the way through the spring training games. Buck has made it clear enough that Clevenger is the "leader in the clubhouse" for the backup job, but it just makes sense to have a third guy around as long as possible.

No, I think there are simply good reasons to have at least three cacthers in major league camp right all the way through the spring training games. Buck has made it clear enough that Clevenger is the "leader in the clubhouse" for the backup job, but it just makes sense to have a third guy around as long as possible.

I meant for the third catcher to be him, not for the existence of a third catcher in camp.

Archived