ESPN the magazine predicts the AL east

brianod

100 wRC+ is exactly league average.

That depends on how you define average. 100 wRC+ is the mean average, but I think it makes most sense to look at median when comparing teams across the league. Also, I am a little confused as to why the total sum of wRC+ is 2989 instead of 3000. That seems like an unusually steep rounding error.

Regardless, I am encouraged that the Orioles had such offensive success with the 25th highest BABIP. If that bounces back to league average that accounts for a little bit of extra offense right there.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That depends on how you define average. 100 wRC+ is the mean average, but I think it makes most sense to look at median when comparing teams across the league. Also, I am a little confused as to why the total sum of wRC+ is 2989 instead of 3000. That seems like an unusually steep rounding error.

Regardless, I am encouraged that the Orioles had such offensive success with the 25th highest BABIP. If that bounces back to league average that accounts for a little bit of extra offense right there.

I certainly think there is upside this year, and fully expect them to be at least slightly above average this year. It just bugs me that everyone believes they were some offensive juggernaut last year. They weren't. The Rays were a better offensive club last year and most people in the Baltimore area will tell you the Rays aren't a good offensive team.

i certainly think there is upside this year, and fully expect them to be at least slightly above average this year. It just bugs me that everyone believes they were some offensive juggernaut last year. They weren't. The rays were a better offensive club last year and most people in the baltimore area will tell you the rays aren't a good offensive team.

obp...

The Orioles were a league average offense and the best defense by fielding percentage, not by any meaningful metric. The Kansas City Royals owned the best defense in baseball.

There are NO meaningful defensive metrics. Just because they are new, it does not make them right. Every defensive metric is flawed to the point that they should be ignored. People utilizing them gives them value that they do not deserve. I watched 95% of O's games and about 50 KC games. The Orioles defense was much better.

There are NO meaningful defensive metrics. Just because they are new, it does not make them right. Every defensive metric is flawed to the point that they should be ignored. People utilizing them gives them value that they do not deserve. I watched 95% of O's games and about 50 KC games. The Orioles defense was much better.

How in the world were you able to watch 154 Orioles games and 50 Royals games? Did you see every team 50 times? Are you just a big Royals fan?

My Detached Side of Brain:

Rays

Red Sox

Yankees/Orioles

Jays

My Orioles Fan Side of Brain:

Rays

Red Sox/Orioles

Blue Jays

Yankees

Even the rosiest of pictures, in my mind, has this being a tough year for Baltimore to make the playoffs. I may be too high on the Rangers and Royals.

My Detached Side of Brain:

Rays

Red Sox

Yankees/Orioles

Jays

My Orioles Fan Side of Brain:

Rays

Red Sox/Orioles

Blue Jays

Yankees

Even the rosiest of pictures, in my mind, has this being a tough year for Baltimore to make the playoffs. I may be too high on the Rangers and Royals.

A friendly wager. Orioles finish higher than Tampa.

I just don't get why people give such credence to the bozos at ESPN. Any rational observer would say the AL East race is very close and things like injury and luck will most likely determine the out come.

And Evan Longoria's Hamstring.

Even the injury-prone can have the most miraculously healthy of seasons, as Longoria did in 2013. He set career highs with 160 games played and 693 plate appearances, despite playing through a case of plantar fasciitis in June...

Archived