When will Manny be back????

webbrick2010

Maybe we should dope him up like Terrell Suggs and call it a miracle that he's back. :/

But seriously...he's 21 years old. Just had reconstructive surgery on his knee 5 months ago. The timetable for that kind of surgery is typically 4-6 months. And can often times be much longer.

FWIW, I'm expecting him back the beginning of May,

I think surgery happened in October. So now in April it's been 6 months.

I'm not even upset about it. But they didn't have to feed us the BS that he's ahead of schedule when he's not.

And for all intents and purposes it takes 8-10 months to come back and play after ACL/MCL reconstruction. With that in mind his injury was more serious than were being lead to believe and it was as bad as it looked.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I like that.... the heck with Schoop's service time let's win now... which is why I'm frustrated that the team is trying to survive the first 25-30 games without Manny.[/

Why are you frustrated? Manny will be back when he is healthy. Good golly it is

like some are in panic mode because the O's lost last nights game.

Manny Machado is the most important player on this team for the next five years. The only other players that there's even an argument for are probably Gausman and Bundy.

He won't be rushed. Flaherty is good enough defensively and the lineup is good enough offensively overall that we're not going to fall out of the race because of a month or so without Manny.

I think surgery happened in October. So now in April it's been 6 months.

I'm not even upset about it. But they didn't have to feed us the BS that he's ahead of schedule when he's not.

And for all intents and purposes it takes 8-10 months to come back and play after ACL/MCL reconstruction. With that in mind his injury was more serious than were being lead to believe and it was as bad as it looked.

Only you would think the FO was feeding fans BS about Manny. Why is it BS to

say he is a head of schedule? Well maybe he is. IMO

Manny Machado is the most important player on this team for the next five years. The only other players that there's even an argument for are probably Gausman and Bundy.

He won't be rushed. Flaherty is good enough defensively and the lineup is good enough offensively overall that we're not going to fall out of the race because of a month or so without Manny.

Most of the most positive minded posters figured that the O's might be good enough to squeak into the playoffs (with Manny). Missing Manny for 20% of the season and having to start Lombo & Flash may be the difference between a wild card and a 4th place finish.

All winter we were fed stories that Manny was ahead of schedule and looking good for opening day. Then in ST it's revealed that there isn't even a time table for his return (still no plan). So sorry I think it is a big deal that we are missing one of out best players in what shapes up to be a very tight race.

I didn't know that. Well then, it was a setback and they can happen.

Yes. Complications and setbacks happen.

he choice of articles to review was limited because some reports were just case studies (small groups of patients) while others were done on cadavers (rather than with live patients). Of the studies that qualified to be included, there was a 26.1 per cent complication rate. The procedure was a success but the complication rate was considered significant. This figure represents an overall complication rate from all the studies combined. Rates actually ranged from zero (no complications) up to 85 per cent.

Taking a closer look at the specific complications, there were patellar fractures, patellar instability, loss of knee motion, pain, infection, and other wound complications. Twenty-six of the 629 knees treated surgically required an additional surgical procedure. The most common revision surgeries were to remove bothersome hardware or manipulate (move) the joint to restore motion. Three per cent of the total number were classified as "failures" due to ongoing instability and persistent patellar dislocation.

http://www.eorthopod.com/content/high-complication-rate-with-mpfl-knee-reconstruction

Reading that article makes the surgery sound a lot more risky than I had understood it to be.

And considering that Manny has the same structural defect in his right knee (although it has not yet dislocated)... I'd hold off on that extension talk for at least a couple of years.

Archived