Cards @ Baltimore in August -- What Should I Know about Camden, Baltimore, etc?

CardsFanBob

Nah, Slainte in Fells, better breakfast food. Plus soccer hooligans.

And if he does not like soccer.:) I forgot about Slainte. Bar with breakfast and sometimes some nice looking woman. I think he is married. I see Full Moon wants to expand not always a good thing.

http://www.bizjournals.com/baltimore/blog/charm-city-flavor/2014/04/blue-moon-cafe-sarah-simington-capn-crunch-french.html

http://www.slaintepub.com/menu.html

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Also Miss Shirley's in the inner Harbor for brunch.

http://www.missshirleys.com/

Thank you!

Anyone done the brunch at Admirals Cup? I told the wife they have $10 all you can drink mimosas and bloody marys from 10:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturday, and that pretty much sold it.

And if you want to hook up with SimplyAJ's crew...

http://www.abbeyburgerbistro.com/

Yup. I'm pretty sure we're going to go there on Friday afternoon before the game that evening.

If you have a moment to do some other things and see the city a bit: The Baltimore Museum of Art (Charles Village) and the Walters Art Gallery (Mt. Vernon) are free and awesome. The Visionary Arts Museum (Federal Hill) is super cool. If you need to buy gifts for anyone, but don't want the touristy stuff from the Harbor, hit 36th street- Hampden. Also the best ice cream place (The Charmery) is there and the best local bar in Baltimore (Fraziers on the Ave) - hit it after 4 when the front bar opens, the food is also surprisingly good, like you wouldn't expect it to be that good but it is.

If you get on the light rail, heading north, get off at the Woodberry stop and check out Union Craft Brewery. They have a small service bar there and Union beer is easily some of the best in Baltimore. Anthem is my personal favorite.

Duckpin Bowling at Patterson Park Lanes.

The aquarium is a must, really the only super touristy thing that I would whole heartedly suggest.

Silent James thank you so much for all the recs! I'm not sure we're going to get to too much else other than bars and baseball, but if I find the time, I'll keep these in mind.

And if he does not like soccer.:) I forgot about Slainte. Bar with breakfast and sometimes some nice looking woman. I think he is married. I see Full Moon wants to expand not always a good thing.

http://www.bizjournals.com/baltimore/blog/charm-city-flavor/2014/04/blue-moon-cafe-sarah-simington-capn-crunch-french.html

http://www.slaintepub.com/menu.html

Looking at where Slainte is positioned in Fells Point, I think it's HIGHLY likely we'll stumble in there at least once. Thanks for the recommendation!

What does everyone know about water taxis?

I see that they all run on routes, like a bus or subway... If we jumped on one from Fells Point and rode it out just to see the sites, how long would that take? Their website is a bit vague.

Any other inside info on water taxis would be much appreciated.... The concept is so foreign to us Midwesterners; we wanted to check them out.

Thank you!

Anyone done the brunch at Admirals Cup? I told the wife they have $10 all you can drink mimosas and bloody marys from 10:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturday, and that pretty much sold it.

This place also has $10.00 bottomless.. 1771 building Have not had brunch here but the building is cool

SATURDAY & SUNDAY with a meal purchase.

Brunch

Bottomless Bloodies, Mimosas, Screwdrivers & Natty Boh 10am-2pm

http://www.waterfronthotel.us/

Thank you!

This place also has $10.00 bottomless.. 1771 building Have not had brunch here but the building is cool

SATURDAY & SUNDAY with a meal purchase.

Brunch

Bottomless Bloodies, Mimosas, Screwdrivers & Natty Boh 10am-2pm

Hot damn. Thanks for that... I like having options and missed the bottomless drinks when I first looked at their site.

That place looks fun... It looks like a lot of live music, no?

Really, all of Fells Point, especially along the water, those bars seem to have live music... or is that an incorrect assumption?

I see that they all run on routes, like a bus or subway... If we jumped on one from Fells Point and rode it out just to see the sites, how long would that take? Their website is a bit vague.

Any other inside info on water taxis would be much appreciated.... The concept is so foreign to us Midwesterners; we wanted to check them out.

The Water taxis are not your traditional taxis in the true sense of the word. They are mostly touristy, gives you a different view of the city and for a tourist, it gives you a sense that you on the Bay when you are really on the Patapsco-hun! They are not efficient transportation and you can really walk the harbor in the same amount of time that it takes you on the water taxi. So if you are in harbor east and have reservations in Federal Hill in 30 minutes, well you are going to be pushing it. But you can take the water taxi to Fort Mchenry. There is also a Charm City Ciculator water taxi (as well as bus) which both are free. The water taxi only runs certain hours and does not offer you the options the pay for riding water taxi but it gets you across the harbor and its free.

So I wanted to chime in. Usually most tourists want crabs, my recommendation downtown would probably be LP Steamers, Nicks in the Federal Hill/Fort Mchenry area-they are not the best places but they are close to the harbor yet are still pretty good. Crab Cakes (Koco's is the best but it's not really near anything fun)-Faidleys is in Lexington Market which is a Baltimore institution and is relatively safe but I would def go on the early side of lunch and recommend some street smarts-better altnertive is Cross Street market in Federal Hill, not as good or as big but you get the flavor and its in a better area (thought both are equidistant from Camden Yards). Fells point is fun day or night but I actually like walking around during the day and popping in to numerous places for quality foods (some iconic to our city like Bertha's Mussles) and some just outstanding meals from Thames Street Oyster House seriously go to this place espcially if you like oysters (another Maryland delicacy). Little Italy has great italian...it's right next to Harbor East people will argue till their blue in the face which one is the best. Brings me to best restaruant...everyone has a favorite, but I would recommend staying away from the Ruth Cris', Sullivans, Fogo de Chau, Flemmings of the world and go for a place that is really more unique to the city. Charlestons is fabulous but it will cost you an arm and a leg. It is a top 5 place, right where you are staying but it is a little stuffy for me. Tio Pepe's is a Baltimore institution which is consistently good...just go easy on the sangria! For my money, the Prime Rib is the place to go for a nice upscale dinner. Its like being transported back in time with the piano and decor, the service is top notch and the prime rib at the prime rib is a monsterous piece of heaven. Tio's the the PR are in the middle of town, easy cab ride in nicer areas a little off the Harbor.

I would recommend staying away from the Inner Harbor/Harbor East other than to walk it. Fells Point, Canton, Federal Hill going there and walking over to the game (just follow the crowd from Cross St.). Midtown for nice dinner. Hamden for something completly different (its away from the harbor but still in the city). Water taxi for interesting perspectives of the city and a ride to fort mchenry or Canton if you aren't in a rush (anything inside of that area its probably more economical to walk to much fast to cab). Lexington Market to test your urban adventurer side. The Aquarium and Science center are fine...but it will probably be really nice outside so getting out and walking in and out of places is a good way to do a weekend trip.

Hot damn. Thanks for that... I like having options and missed the bottomless drinks when I first looked at their site.

That place looks fun... It looks like a lot of live music, no?

Really, all of Fells Point, especially along the water, those bars seem to have live music... or is that an incorrect assumption?

Yes just take a walk on Thames Street (right along the water) and usually there are a few places rocking.

You will have fun! I am looking forward to the same kind of experience in Chicago in a couple of weeks. Never been to Wrigley, bucket list checked.

I live in Canton and it does have a number of local bars, parking is horrible, going by taxi would be ideal. On Potomac and O'Donnell St. there is John's carry out which has some decent food and has been around for many years. Looney's Pub (which is usually always packed) has some good Nacho's. I'd recommend going to the bars outside of O'Donnell St to get cheaper prices. Sharky's Bar and Grill off of Streeper St. and Eastern Ave. and American Harry's on Luzerne Ave and Foster Ave are just two to name. American Harry's is more an older crowd and prices are pretty good.

The Water taxis are not your traditional taxis in the true sense of the word. They are mostly touristy, gives you a different view of the city and for a tourist, it gives you a sense that you on the Bay when you are really on the Patapsco-hun! They are not efficient transportation and you can really walk the harbor in the same amount of time that it takes you on the water taxi. So if you are in harbor east and have reservations in Federal Hill in 30 minutes, well you are going to be pushing it. But you can take the water taxi to Fort Mchenry. There is also a Charm City Ciculator water taxi (as well as bus) which both are free. The water taxi only runs certain hours and does not offer you the options the pay for riding water taxi but it gets you across the harbor and its free.

So I wanted to chime in. Usually most tourists want crabs, my recommendation downtown would probably be LP Steamers, Nicks in the Federal Hill/Fort Mchenry area-they are not the best places but they are close to the harbor yet are still pretty good. Crab Cakes (Koco's is the best but it's not really near anything fun)-Faidleys is in Lexington Market which is a Baltimore institution and is relatively safe but I would def go on the early side of lunch and recommend some street smarts-better altnertive is Cross Street market in Federal Hill, not as good or as big but you get the flavor and its in a better area (thought both are equidistant from Camden Yards). Fells point is fun day or night but I actually like walking around during the day and popping in to numerous places for quality foods (some iconic to our city like Bertha's Mussles) and some just outstanding meals from Thames Street Oyster House seriously go to this place espcially if you like oysters (another Maryland delicacy). Little Italy has great italian...it's right next to Harbor East people will argue till their blue in the face which one is the best. Brings me to best restaruant...everyone has a favorite, but I would recommend staying away from the Ruth Cris', Sullivans, Fogo de Chau, Flemmings of the world and go for a place that is really more unique to the city. Charlestons is fabulous but it will cost you an arm and a leg. It is a top 5 place, right where you are staying but it is a little stuffy for me. Tio Pepe's is a Baltimore institution which is consistently good...just go easy on the sangria! For my money, the Prime Rib is the place to go for a nice upscale dinner. Its like being transported back in time with the piano and decor, the service is top notch and the prime rib at the prime rib is a monsterous piece of heaven. Tio's the the PR are in the middle of town, easy cab ride in nicer areas a little off the Harbor.

I would recommend staying away from the Inner Harbor/Harbor East other than to walk it. Fells Point, Canton, Federal Hill going there and walking over to the game (just follow the crowd from Cross St.). Midtown for nice dinner. Hamden for something completly different (its away from the harbor but still in the city). Water taxi for interesting perspectives of the city and a ride to fort mchenry or Canton if you aren't in a rush (anything inside of that area its probably more economical to walk to much fast to cab). Lexington Market to test your urban adventurer side. The Aquarium and Science center are fine...but it will probably be really nice outside so getting out and walking in and out of places is a good way to do a weekend trip.

Great info! Thank you! Yeah, I'd like to do the water taxis just to do them... not to rely on them as main transportation. Thinking we'll do it on Friday afternoon.

Your suggestion of LP Steamers have me perplexed... Not sure whether to go there or this Abbey Burger place. Being from the Midwest, it's hard to beat our beef. We may go to LP Steamers instead! Getting crabs in St. Louis... not happening. I may have to talk the wife into LP Steamers.

I'm glad that you liked Thames Oyster House, too... WE're thinking of going there on Thursday afternoon.

Yes just take a walk on Thames Street (right along the water) and usually there are a few places rocking.

You will have fun! I am looking forward to the same kind of experience in Chicago in a couple of weeks. Never been to Wrigley, bucket list checked.

Good to hear about Thames!

And enjoy your visit to Wrigley! I've actually been there 10 times to watch one of the oldest rivalries (and most civil) Cubs/Cards. And I'm an unbelievable 0-10 there... It's ridiculous. But I always have a great time!

Wrigley is a dump, yet it's a gem. It's also one of the view venues where I always felt it was cheaper to drink IN the stadium than the bars around it!

When are you going?

looks like your fellow Card fans are staying at the Hilton across the street from Camden Yards.

http://altairtravel.com/2014/03/17/celebrate-70th-anniversary-st-louis-world-series/

I'll be darned... I was looking to see where other fans are going, but I couldn't find it.

I hope people are paying $1,400 per couple and not person. That's pretty damn expensive if that's per person. We're pretty fortunate... We're using points for hotels and airfare. I'm only out money for game tickets and dining/drinking (which will add up! ha!)

I live in Canton and it does have a number of local bars, parking is horrible, going by taxi would be ideal. On Potomac and O'Donnell St. there is John's carry out which has some decent food and has been around for many years. Looney's Pub (which is usually always packed) has some good Nacho's. I'd recommend going to the bars outside of O'Donnell St to get cheaper prices. Sharky's Bar and Grill off of Streeper St. and Eastern Ave. and American Harry's on Luzerne Ave and Foster Ave are just two to name. American Harry's is more an older crowd and prices are pretty good.

Thank you!

Water taxis are cool. Take advantage of the Charm City Circulator - free bus service all over downtown.

The stuff in Mt. Vernon and Hampden you will need to cab to, or hop on the number 27 bus heading north, takes you right to the Ave.

Bars to go to:

Downtown:

Fells Point - Slainte, Waterfront Hotel, Max's Taphouse (Massive beer selection), Heavy Seas Taphouse (local brew)

Federal Hill - No idea, Ryleigh's Oyster Bar

Harbor - Pratt St. Ale House

Midtown:

Mt. Vernon - The Brewer's Art, Dionysius

Uptown:

Hampden - Frazier's on the Ave, Rocket to Venus (hipstery), Golden West Cafe (VERY hipstery), Holy Frijoles (pretty solid mexican food), Union Craft Brewing

BARS TO AVOID:

Mad River, MaGerks (douchey)

Saturday Night at the Ottobar in Remington (North Howard St, Remington) Burlesque show, cheap beer, punk rock vibe

So you are going to be in town on Friday morning. Go to Slainte then for breakfast, Also has bottomless drinks on weekdays.You might not be standing at the O's games. How much can you drink till 11 am? I would take the water taxi over to Fort McHenry on Friday. Ft McHenry is historic .$12,00 unlimited ticket might be worth it if you take it a couple of times in during the day.I would go to Thames Street Oyster House. Happy Hour M-F. I would do the LP Steamers thing. Some people like the crab cakes or crab fluff better. Less work but true Baltimoreans like crabs. Jim Gaffigan hates crabs.

I think it is $1400.00 a person. I go to ballparks all over the country and booking on my own is usually alot cheaper. It is the per person that gets you. Like paying for a hotel twice.

Sl?inte Irish Pub and Restaurant serves breakfast daily from 7:00 AM until 11:00 AM on weekdays and until 1:00PM on weekends, featuring $10 bottomless Mimosa & Bloody Mary on weekdays.

http://thamesstreetoysterhouse.com/

A few of my favorite spots, FWIW (some have been mentioned already, some haven't):

Food

Woodberry Kitchen (Clipper Mill) - Best restaurant in the city, IMO. Great for any meal, but I particularly like the brunch. To put its quality in perspective, it's where Gordon Ramsay went to eat when he was in town filming Kitchen Nightmares for another place. Only downside is there's nothing else around it. It's a cab-in for dinner, cab-out immediately after type of place.

City Cafe (Mt. Vernon) - Top brunch spot

The Food Market (Hampden) - Right up there with Woodberry Kitchen (and Charleston) for the best restaurant in the city.

LP Steamers (Locust Point) - Great crabs, not touristy

Iggie's (Mt. Vernon) - Fantastic Napoli style Pizza

Faidley's (Lexington Market) - No frills, no fuss, killer crab cakes. Note: Only go during the day and preferably not alone.

Drink

Rye (Fell's Point) - As the name indicates, a whiskey-centric bar. Good food, excellent cocktails

Stalking Horse Vodka Bar (Federal Hill) - As a vodka lover, this is right up my alley. Probably the best vodka selection in the city.

The Brewer's Art (Mt. Vernon) - I'm cheating a bit, as I can't drink beer, but my brother, a Federal Hill resident, and many friends swear by the place. In-house brewed Belgian style ales.

Illusions Magic Bar (Federal Hill) - Might be gimmicky to some, but it's a completely unique concept and I love it. There's no metaphor in the title, it's literally a magic bar. The front half of the place is the actual bar, and the rear half is the theater where the father and son owners (their names escape me) perform magic shows. They also tend bar when not performing. The son actually auditioned for America's Got Talent, and made it to the live auditions in front of the judges. A great night out, IMO.

Attractions

National Aquarium in Baltimore (Inner Harbor) - One of the top aquariums in the country. The new Black Tip reef exhibit is excellent.

Fort McHenry National Monument - Great place for history buffs. Site of the battle that inspired Francis Scott Key to write the Star-spangled Banner.

Historic Ships (Inner Harbor) - Another great history buff activity. Tour a WWII submarine, a coast guard cutter, and a 19th century warship.

I'd also highly recommend (depending on the length of your stay), getting down to DC to tour the monuments and Smithsonian. It's all free (minus the transportation getting there) and a short distance away (only 40 miles)

Archived