Cards @ Baltimore in August -- What Should I Know about Camden, Baltimore, etc?

CardsFanBob

Hello, O's fans!

I'm a St. Louis Cardinals fan, and I think I've talked the wife into flying up to catch the Cards/Orioles series this August. Just a quick in and out trip, catching the Friday and Saturday night games.

I've traveled extensively, but not much in the northeast. My only time in Baltimore was packed with work obligations, and more than 7 years ago. In other words, I don't know much about your fair city.

I'm hoping to book a room near the stadium, and doing a quick search of the area on Google, it looks like the Inner Harbor is the best area to stay -- hotels, bars, restaurants around. Is that right? We're around 30, so in good shape to make the half mile or so walk.

Any information you could provide to make this a unique experience is greatly appreciated. I've been waiting for a trip to see Camden since interleague began. I can't wait to check the entire area.

Oh, and regarding tickets: The wife and I enjoy cutting loose when traveling, and we've been known to throw a few drinks back. Does Camden have any all you can drink areas? It doesn't look like it does, but I couldn't be sure... They're big sellers here in St. Louis. Again, any info you could provide is much appreciated!

When O's make the Series this year against the Cardinals, and you come to Busch to watch them play, I'll be more than happy to provide any information you would need for a great visit! ;)

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, I forgot to mention! You die-hards would appreciate this...

One of my best friends is the great nephew of Earl Weaver. As you well know, Earl was a St. Louis native. He would come back fairly often to see family. I had the pleasure of meeting him several times and chatting with him a bit before his passing. What a funny man. The stories my buddy would tell about their holidays gathering were hilarious -- he apparently never lost his enjoyment to argue.

Hello, O's fans!

I'm a St. Louis Cardinals fan, and I think I've talked the wife into flying up to catch the Cards/Orioles series this August. Just a quick in and out trip, catching the Friday and Saturday night games.

I've traveled extensively, but not much in the northeast. My only time in Baltimore was packed with work obligations, and more than 7 years ago. In other words, I don't know much about your fair city.

I'm hoping to book a room near the stadium, and doing a quick search of the area on Google, it looks like the Inner Harbor is the best area to stay -- hotels, bars, restaurants around. Is that right? We're around 30, so in good shape to make the half mile or so walk.

Any information you could provide to make this a unique experience is greatly appreciated. I've been waiting for a trip to see Camden since interleague began. I can't wait to check the entire area.

Oh, and regarding tickets: The wife and I enjoy cutting loose when traveling, and we've been known to throw a few drinks back. Does Camden have any all you can drink areas? It doesn't look like it does, but I couldn't be sure... They're big sellers here in St. Louis. Again, any info you could provide is much appreciated!

When O's make the Series this year against the Cardinals, and you come to Busch to watch them play, I'll be more than happy to provide any information you would need for a great visit! ;)

I would agree that the Inner Harbor is the place for you to stay. It's relatively safe, especially if you're not alone, but I wouldn't recommend wandering around by yourself more than a few blocks from the water in the wee hours. There are a number of hotels there, as well as, restaurants, bars, etc. A lot of them are touristy chains, but if you don't mind that, fun can be had in the Power Plant Live area, which features a number of different options. Closer to the stadium are a number of bars with a more local flair. You are correct, Camden Yards does not have any all you can drink (alcohol) sections.

I would agree that the Inner Harbor is the place for you to stay. It's relatively safe, especially if you're not alone, but I wouldn't recommend wandering around by yourself more than a few blocks from the water in the wee hours. There are a number of hotels there, as well as, restaurants, bars, etc. A lot of them are touristy chains, but if you don't mind that, fun can be had in the Power Plant Live area, which features a number of different options. Closer to the stadium are a number of bars with a more local flair. You are correct, Camden Yards does not have any all you can drink (alcohol) sections.

Thank you!

I'd prefer to avoid touristy chains and hit up more local, true-Baltimore establishments. A friend mentioned the "Fells Point" area? Would that be a better place to stay, eat, and drink? It looks like it's close to the stadium, too.

And good to know regarding the all you can drink seats. Thanks again. What is the beer of choice in Camden, anyway? Bud town? Miller? Are there a lot of craft beers? Is there any brewer unique to Baltimore that's served?

Hope you don't mind the questions! Thank you again!

Hello, O's fans!

I hope you have an excellent stay in Baltimore.

The Inner Harbor area has just about anything you'd want or need in terms of recreation. If you're into history (like me) I'd recommend Fort McHenry, the B&O Railroad Museum (further west), the Maryland African-American History Museum and the Shot Tower - which is further east - but definitely worth seeing for the historical value.

You can also take the water taxi from the harbor down to the Fells Point area where there are numerous bars and restaurants catering to the out-of-town crowd and there's also Baltimore's Little Italy which is also a bit east of the harbor area.

To get wild, there's Pickle's Pub right across the street from Camden Yards on the west side of the stadium and that place can get pretty crazy and fun depending on the crowd.

If you're feeling adventurous, I'd suggest Lexington Market, it's about 6 or 7 blocks north of Camden Yards on Eutaw Street (that's the street with the warehouse and the Boog's BBQ and team store). Some people get freaked out by the clientele (older Black winos) but the food is just about excellent (try Faidley's for the best seafood you'll ever have: http://www.faidleyscrabcakes.com/).

If you have more questions, I'd be happy to answer them!

Good luck and have a great time!

MSK

First off, you will love Camden yards. If you want to splurge and have a room overlooking the park, I recommend the Hilton. If you're like me and want to save a little money but still get a great location, I prefer the days inn inner harbor. It's a higher quality than most days inns, and is a short walk, and has a nice restaurant/bar at the end of the block, or before and after games. Its equal distance from the yards as the harbor restaurants. I also might would recommend checking out the aquarium while you were there.

I like getting a room at the Hampton Inn behind the stadium. It does sell out, so in that case I get a spot at the Days Inn. There is a strip of bars, Pickles and Sliders that have a block party feel to it. From there it's easy to walk down to the Inner Harbor.

Thank you!

I'd prefer to avoid touristy chains and hit up more local, true-Baltimore establishments. A friend mentioned the "Fells Point" area? Would that be a better place to stay, eat, and drink? It looks like it's close to the stadium, too.

And good to know regarding the all you can drink seats. Thanks again. What is the beer of choice in Camden, anyway? Bud town? Miller? Are there a lot of craft beers? Is there any brewer unique to Baltimore that's served?

Fells Point is a great collection of local bars and eats, as is Canton, which is near Fells Point, but a little further east. Both would be worth checking out, but I, personally, would not recommend walking from Canton/Fells from the ballpark at night. It's not a dangerous area, but there have been a few incidents of roving groups of young people randomly attacking people, including two of my wife's coworkers, in that area. Fells Point has some great B&B-type hotels (at least a couple, I think), that people like, though I've never stayed there. If you were going to stay there or head there after a game, I'd probably recommend a cab. There are a few craft brews available in the stadium, including Flying Dog, from nearby Frederick, MD. It's pretty good. Dempsey's Brewpub in the warehouse also has some good options and more than you'll find around the park.

If you're interested in craft brews, you might want to catch a meal at The Brewer's Art, a short cab ride up Charles Street from the inner harbor. The food is good and a number of their house brews are good as well. (They recently agreed to change the name of one from Ozzy after Ozzy's lawyers sent a nasty letter.)

I don't post too often here, but I'm all over this one :).

I'd recommend staying at the Inner Harbor, too. Fells Point is great and worth a visit, but there aren't many hotel options. If you stayed in the Harbor East area, you'd be walking distance from both the Inner Harbor and Fells.

For local craft beer, check out Pratt Street Ale House (very close to the stadium). This is the storefront for Oliver's, a terrific local brewery. You can find some craft beer in Camden Yards as well (Heavy Seas is another good brewery), but I'd also recommend trying Natty Boh (i.e., National Bohemian), which is an overwhelmingly popular cheap beer of choice throughout Baltimore.

I hope you have an excellent stay in Baltimore.

The Inner Harbor area has just about anything you'd want or need in terms of recreation. If you're into history (like me) I'd recommend Fort McHenry, the B&O Railroad Museum (further west), the Maryland African-American History Museum and the Shot Tower - which is further east - but definitely worth seeing for the historical value.

You can also take the water taxi from the harbor down to the Fells Point area where there are numerous bars and restaurants catering to the out-of-town crowd and there's also Baltimore's Little Italy which is also a bit east of the harbor area.

To get wild, there's Pickle's Pub right across the street from Camden Yards on the west side of the stadium and that place can get pretty crazy and fun depending on the crowd.

If you're feeling adventurous, I'd suggest Lexington Market, it's about 6 or 7 blocks north of Camden Yards on Eutaw Street (that's the street with the warehouse and the Boog's BBQ and team store). Some people get freaked out by the clientele (older Black winos) but the food is just about excellent (try Faidley's for the best seafood you'll ever have: http://www.faidleyscrabcakes.com/).

If you have more questions, I'd be happy to answer them!

Good luck and have a great time!

MSK

Great stuff! Thank you so very much! I'd love to do a bit of site seeing in between bar hopping.

How about the Babe Ruth Museum? Is it worthwhile at all, or just a tourist trap?

First off, you will love Camden yards. If you want to splurge and have a room overlooking the park, I recommend the Hilton. If you're like me and want to save a little money but still get a great location, I prefer the days inn inner harbor. It's a higher quality than most days inns, and is a short walk, and has a nice restaurant/bar at the end of the block, or before and after games. Its equal distance from the yards as the harbor restaurants. I also might would recommend checking out the aquarium while you were there.
I like getting a room at the Hampton Inn behind the stadium. It does sell out, so in that case I get a spot at the Days Inn. There is a strip of bars, Pickles and Sliders that have a block party feel to it. From there it's easy to walk down to the Inner Harbor.

Thank you, gents! We're big Hilton rewards people, so we'll either stay at a Hampton or Hilton. So, in your opinion, is it better to stay right by the park -- or would you rather stay closer to the Inner Harbor?

And any thoughts on staying at Fells Point?

Fells Point is a great collection of local bars and eats, as is Canton, which is near Fells Point, but a little further east. Both would be worth checking out, but I, personally, would not recommend walking from Canton/Fells from the ballpark at night. It's not a dangerous area, but there have been a few incidents of roving groups of young people randomly attacking people, including two of my wife's coworkers, in that area. Fells Point has some great B&B-type hotels (at least a couple, I think), that people like, though I've never stayed there. If you were going to stay there or head there after a game, I'd probably recommend a cab. There are a few craft brews available in the stadium, including Flying Dog, from nearby Frederick, MD. It's pretty good. Dempsey's Brewpub in the warehouse also has some good options and more than you'll find around the park.

If you're interested in craft brews, you might want to catch a meal at The Brewer's Art, a short cab ride up Charles Street from the inner harbor. The food is good and a number of their house brews are good as well. (They recently agreed to change the name of one from Ozzy after Ozzy's lawyers sent a nasty letter.)

I don't post too often here, but I'm all over this one :).

I'd recommend staying at the Inner Harbor, too. Fells Point is great and worth a visit, but there aren't many hotel options. If you stayed in the Harbor East area, you'd be walking distance from both the Inner Harbor and Fells.

For local craft beer, check out Pratt Street Ale House (very close to the stadium). This is the storefront for Oliver's, a terrific local brewery. You can find some craft beer in Camden Yards as well (Heavy Seas is another good brewery), but I'd also recommend trying Natty Boh (i.e., National Bohemian), which is an overwhelmingly popular cheap beer of choice throughout Baltimore.

Outstanding. Thank you!

It's sounding like Inner Harbor is the way to go, with a cab ride to Fells Point for an evening. By the way, how are cabs in Baltimore? Plentiful -- or a pain in the a$$ to find? St. Louis is SLOWLY catching up with the times and it can be a huge hassle to find cabs at times.... That's why I ask.

How late do bars stay open in Inner Harbor? 1 a.m.? 3 a.m.?

Then again, I may not need to know -- we just had our first child. And this will probably be our first get away without him. Watch us be in bed by 10:30 p.m. Haha.

Thanks again, everyone. I'm very impressed by your online community here.

Just wanted to throw a second nod to Harbor East as an option for this nice St. Louis guy. There are a number of hotels over there, the food is better, there is more going on at night, it feels safer you're way closer to the fells point nightlife scene (easily walkable), and it only adds about 10 min to the walk to the stadium from staying in the "old" inner-harbor. IMO, it's a way better base of operations from which to experience baltimore for a weekend. If your only objective was baseball, obviously, it doesn't make as much sense as the inner harbor, or if you were old and the walk bothered you, again, i would say stay closer, but to me, it's the best option. Just my two cents. There are nice, relatively new hotels there for every budget, as well (from the Courtyard up to the Four Seasons, with the hilton places and Marriott in between).

Hope you have a great trip to our city Bob.

Outstanding. Thank you!

It's sounding like Inner Harbor is the way to go, with a cab ride to Fells Point for an evening. By the way, how are cabs in Baltimore? Plentiful -- or a pain in the a$$ to find? St. Louis is SLOWLY catching up with the times and it can be a huge hassle to find cabs at times.... That's why I ask.

How late do bars stay open in Inner Harbor? 1 a.m.? 3 a.m.?

Then again, I may not need to know -- we just had our first child. And this will probably be our first get away without him. Watch us be in bed by 10:30 p.m. Haha.

Thanks again, everyone. I'm very impressed by your online community here.

I believe bars close at 2 am. I feel your pain, we have a 30 month old, and we're usually just thrilled to get a solid night of sleep.

Cabs are generally pretty plentiful in the downtown area. It shouldn't be too hard to find one. The hotels often have cab stands that you can grab on from as well.

Thank you!

You can access Fells Point from the Harbor via water taxi. They shut down "early" (before bars close, or at least they did in my previous life when I used to go to Fells Point bars. :beerchug1:)

My brother lives in Federal Hill -- walking distance to Camden Yards and Ravens Stadium. Very much a similar "bar vibe" as Fells Point. Or you could take Uber between a Harbor-based hotel and Fells Point if the walk is too far.

Baltimore's "iconic" beer is National Bohemian (Natty Boh). I don't drink it, but my hubs likes it. There are some craft beer stands in the ballpark on Eutaw St (down near LF), and inside the ballpark (RF lower). Might be one behind home plate area also. And I forget what they serve. Flying Dog?

I visited St. Louis the final year of Busch II and had a blast. I hope you have a good time in B'more.

Staying in the Inner Harbor is fine, but it is definitely a tourist trap. The good thing about Baltimore is that it's so small, that everything is a short cab ride away. It may be a good idea to stay in the Inner Harbor since it's a central location, and then you'll be able to walk to Camden Yards, grab a cab to Fells Point or Harbor East and then back to your hotel afterwards.

As far as game day experiences go, a trip to Pickles Pub before the game is always a good time, but it can get pretty crowded, especially on Fridays and Saturdays.

If you're into craft beers, I highly recommend heading down to Fells Point at some point and checking out Max's Taphouse. They have 102 beers on tap and 1200 bottles there. I live in Fells Point so I am at Max's often.

Archived