Most Valuable-Schoop's Bat or Flaherty's Glove

Bahama O's Fan

That didn't sound right to me but I checked MLB.com and you are correct. That's hard to believe but maybe it's because we have seen him play the 2b position in the shift this year.

Yeah. I suppose that could give us the impression that he played second base.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Flaherty has a great glove, but the guy has had 3 years now and aside from a few weeks of hot hitting at the end of June last year, he has pretty much stunk at the plate. I've seen enough to say I want Schoop playing second when Manny returns.

Schoop has had a very impressive first few weeks thats for sure. I still feel for Flaherty. Cant catch a break.

He is valuable but he just can't hit....if he were hitting now it would actually make for a difficult issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flaherty is a true utility player and as such is a valuable asset. And with Hardy's problems, he is the backup SS. When Manny comes back I think we might see a semi-platoon situation at 2B with Flaherty and Schoop. Lombardozzi might be the odd man out. I think Buck will be looking for someone to replace Pearce, probably a LH with some hitting punch on the bench with Young. The switch-hitting Morales maybe?

Flaherty is a true utility player and as such is a valuable asset. And with Hardy's problems, he is the backup SS. When Manny comes back I think we might see a semi-platoon situation at 2B with Flaherty and Schoop. Lombardozzi might be the odd man out. I think Buck will be looking for someone to replace Pearce, probably a LH with some hitting punch on the bench with Young. The switch-hitting Morales maybe?

Lombo is out of options. So it's going to be Flaherty and Schoop. Without checking I'm pretty sure Schoop is easily top 7-8 on slg for 2nd basemen in all of baseball. As far as another bat goes I'd like to see Clevenger DH a little more against RHP.

Wasn't saying it wasn't useful.

Just that average is average.

Last year he looked above average, at least at second where I saw him the most.

I'm not sure how we can do this comparison. Last year more than 85% of Flaherty's playing time was at 2B. He hasn't played an inning there in 2014. He already has about double the amount of playing time at each of SS and 3B that he had all of last year.

I thought Flaherty played an above average 2B last year. I think he's decent at SS and 3B, but he hasn't played enough at either of those spots for me to draw a definitive conclusion about his skills there. He's certainly very solid for a utility man at those spots. I'm skeptical that he'd be an average defensive major league SS, based on the fact that he was moved off that position in the minors. I don't think that happens if you have average major league skills there.

Bottom line - Schoop has a legit chance to be an all-star second baseman some day and is already better than Flaherty - who's no more than a good utility infielder, imo. There's no question who should be playing 2nd base for the O's.

Schoop might actually be better at defense playing 2B than Flaherty.

I think no, but a week ago a might have said no way. It's within the realm of possibilities. He certainly looks like a totally different defender at second than at third.

I hope Lombardozzi stays when Manny comes back. He's hit well for a backup and unlike Pearce, he'll at least have a role, backing up Schoop and be a pinch runner off the bench. With the injuries to Manny and Hardy this season and Schoop still a rookie, it would probably be wise carry 2 infielders on the bench.

Just my two cents: flash is your ss of the future..I see a little Belanger in him...keep manny at third and schoop at second and that is one helluva infield whether Davis stays or not:thumbsup1:

Yeah, Flaherty looks a little like Blade. I'm not sure whether he's the shortstop of the future. I'm not even sure he deserves a nickname yet.

Archived