Fastest Oriole in recent years?

Cheese Oriole

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We are def not a team built for speed.

We have got to have the slowest RF, SS, and C in the league right now.

I am not sold, at all, that Matt is appreciably slower then the average catcher.

If he was really as slow as some posters contend could he be six for eight in stolen base attempts in his career?

I am not sold, at all, that Matt is appreciably slower then the average catcher.

If he was really as slow as some posters contend could he be six for eight in stolen base attempts in his career?

I'm fairly convinced that Matt mostly catches the opposing pitcher/catcher snoozing and is good at guessing off speed. The man is really frickin' slow, but the difference between a fast runner and a slow runner is maybe 0.2 to 0.3 seconds and the above two things give him that.

Not to try to derail, but my favorite Corey Patterson moment had nothing to do with his speed. His 9th inning grand slam to tie the Rangers at 6. Which I believe we went ahead in the 10th on a Jake Fox solo shot. What a great game.

But yeah, he was fast too...

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

I'm fairly convinced that Matt mostly catches the opposing pitcher/catcher snoozing and is good at guessing off speed. The man is really frickin' slow, but the difference between a fast runner and a slow runner is maybe 0.2 to 0.3 seconds and the above two things give him that.

Most other catchers are frickin slow too is my point.

Do you use dark sunglasses, a cane, and usually have a German Shephered on a leash?

Brooks Robinson stole 5 of 5 from 72-74 at ages 35-36-37. I guess that means he wasn't that slow? No. It means even a really slow guy can steal a base when no one is paying attention.

I will say it again, and I will type more slowly so I might be easier to understand.

I

do

not

think

Matt

is

appreciably

slower

then

other

catchers.

Do you have some sort of statistical evidence showing that he is slower? Do you personally time Catchers on how long it takes them to get to first? From first to third?

I freely admit to not every trying to statistically grade American League Catchers on their footspeed. I am certainly going simply off observation.

Archived