vs. Yankees 6/22

weams

• Replies 769
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• It may be just me, but I don't think you have to go to the game threads to find funny. Hell, some of the OP's are funny but then that's just me and my sense of humor. 
    • Was going to say this afternoon that I would try moving Gunnar back to the leadoff role, just to try to recapture a bit of that magic.  I don’t think there’s a ton of correlation here, but he was at a .942 OPS as a leadoff hitter and only .742 as a #3 hitter. It’s possible that even if it actually means nothing, Gunnar may perceive it as sort of a reset and take a little extra confidence and clearmindedness to the plate.  I think it’s worth a shot. The batting order position doesn’t matter much — unless the player himself happens to believe it matters a lot.
    • Scouting grades: Hit: 45 | Power: 65 | Run: 40 | Arm: 70 | Field: 45  "He moves well for his size, but the potential of him outgrowing third..." https://www.mlb.com/prospects/orioles/coby-mayo-691723 Hit: 45/55, Game Power: 50/60, Raw Power: 60/70, Run: 45/40, Defense: 40/45 "Listed at 6-5, 230 the concern remains whether he will eventually end up too big to play an effective 3B, but for now, he’s shown enough improvements that he can play 3B effectively if a team is going to live with a few more errors then some would like. In his limited play at first base, Mayo took well to the position and looks to be a legitimate option there, though he would waste his plus plus arm.  He’s an average to slightly below average runner so he’s not base clogger, but he will slow with age due to his size. He’s athletic enough and moves well once he get going." https://orioleshangout.com/2023/11/16/orioles-2023-3-prospect-coby-mayo-3b/ I don't think the athleticism is the question. He's a 40-45 runner. That is average to slightly below average. Is he faster or more nimble than Santander or O'Hearn? I don't know. Given the fact that 3B seems to have a very good young player as the incumbent and Mayo appears to have an arm that could be quite a weapon in the OF, can the O's live with a little less foot speed in RF? I think it's worth finding out if he can play there. 
    • When your offense stinks and you can’t score runs, you do things that you might not do ordinarily.  
    • Mountcastle had no feel for the outfield. He took terrible routes, showed no knack for playing the ball off the wall and didn’t know which base to throw the ball to. Acting like it was an athleticism thing is disingenuous.
    • We have plenty of guys on the injured list. I suppose for me it's a question of whether you want Bowman or Young eligible for the postseason
    • What does a first baseman have to do that Mayo does poorly? Stretch, catch, including managing awkward throws in the dirt, and what else exactly? Reflexes, throwing quick and accurate are skills for any position. What is unique to 1B that Mayo can’t do? And if he can’t play first, where the job is stand and catch, where CAN he play?
  • Popular Contributors