Orioles messing with Gausman again what's new.

Greg

If the O's have sat down with him and explained why they are doing it and also indicate they see him in the rotation in the second half, my guess is Kevin will sit down with a bag of powdered doughnuts and day dream about his first playoff start with a smile.

I really think its all about communication and letting guys know why your doing what your doing. Most guys get irked when the communication piece is not there. DD does enough roster shuffling that I think he already understands the value of that. I feel pretty sure that KG knows and has been told how important the O's see him to their future. I also think if it help the O's get in the playoffs and potentially gets him a playoff start (dependent on performance) he recognizes that value as well. I think its far more distressing to fans than KG in actuality

Sure. Communication is always key and I expect DD has communicated this to KG, and DD is going to do what is best for the organization, and KG really has no choice but to say "yes, sir", but not everyone puts on their big boy pants when told, "we need you to get you into as many major league games as possible and we've figured a way to do this while still delaying your service clock which includes less time with the team and more shuttling to Norfolk."

Just saying that this particular treatment seems unusual and might not be well received by KG. Maybe KG is cool with it and that would be great.

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sure. Communication is always key and I expect DD has communicated this to KG, and DD is going to do what is best for the organization, and KG really has no choice but to say "yes, sir", but not everyone puts on their big boy pants when told, "we need you to get you into as many major league games as possible and we've figured a way to do this while still delaying your service clock which includes less time with the team and more shuttling to Norfolk."

Just saying that this particular treatment seems unusual and might not be well received by KG. Maybe KG is cool with it and that would be great.

DD is a smart GM. As such I have to believe he knows that baseball players come in many packages. I am pretty sure between he and Buck they have had enough conversations with KG to gage how he feels on the subject and I highly doubt they would risk upsetting a guy who they clearly seem to feel is such an important part of their present and future success without gaging how he feels on the subject.

For all we know they explained it, he is good with it and frankly until I hear something that directly contradicts that I am going to believe that is more likely the truth than they just don't care and are doing whatever they want regardless of how KG may feel. That would make DD and Buck stupid and they hardly that.

DD is a smart GM. As such I have to believe he knows that baseball players come in many packages. I am pretty sure between he and Buck they have had enough conversations with KG to gage how he feels on the subject and I highly doubt they would risk upsetting a guy who they clearly seem to feel is such an important part of their present and future success without gaging how he feels on the subject.

For all we know they explained it, he is good with it and frankly until I hear something that directly contradicts that I am going to believe that is more likely the truth than they just don't care and are doing whatever they want regardless of how KG may feel. That would make DD and Buck stupid and they hardly that.

Do you remember that flight they took right after Kevin pitched. They were going to option him but the flew him to their next town with the team. And Buck sat with him the whole way.

Its not that hard to understand what the O's are doing with Gausman.

Gausman pitched 130 innings last year. That means he should not exceed 160 innings this year if they want him to stay away from injuries.

The O's have been limiting his innings thus far. And they will continue to do that until after the All-Star break. After the break he can take a turn every 5 or 6 days and be in the rotation for the rest of the regular season.

Not that hard to understand really.

Buck explains:

http://www.masnsports.com/media.php?show_id=2244416&p=

Pretty certain this is all about service time. Not that I agree with it, mind you.

I don't think it has anything at all to do with service time. Any times a player is optioned and then recalled within 20 days, all the days in between are counted as major league service.

Its not that hard to understand what the O's are doing with Gausman.

Gausman pitched 130 innings last year. That means he should not exceed 160 innings this year if they want him to stay away from injuries.

The O's have been limiting his innings thus far. And they will continue to do that until after the All-Star break. After the break he can take a turn every 5 or 6 days and be in the rotation for the rest of the regular season.

Not that hard to understand really.

I have Gausman at 115 2/3 at LSU, plus 8 (1+7) from the CWS plus 15 in the minors in 2012. That puts him at 138 2/3 in 2012. If the O's are worried about the Verducci effect then the baseline they should be using in 138 2/3 not 130.

I don't think it has anything at all to do with service time. Any times a player is optioned and then recalled within 20 days, all the days in between are counted as major league service.

Really? Never heard that before. I know that the option is not used if the players does not stay in the minors for 20 days of over a whole season. Never heard that about service time.

As Buck as explained, sending Gausman down is about innings limits not service time.

Really? Never heard that before. I know that the option is not used if the players does not stay in the minors for 20 days of over a whole season. Never heard that about service time.

As Buck as explained, sending Gausman down is about innings limits not service time.

Of course if it was about service time the O's wouldn't admit it.

I have Gausman at 115 2/3 at LSU, plus 8 (1+7) from the CWS plus 15 in the minors in 2012. That puts him at 138 2/3 in 2012. If the O's are worried about the Verducci effect then the baseline they should be using in 138 2/3 not 130.

We don't really know what innings limits the O's are using. You could be right. I am not saying I know whether they are limiting him to 160 or 170 or 180.

Buck has now told us that Gausman goes into the rotation right after the All-Start break. I think he stays in a five man rotation until the first of September. Then the O's roster expands and the O's go to a six man rotation. That stretches out Gausman's innings. Gausman is projected to stay in the rotation through the playoffs. Hopefully right through the World Series.

I don't think that is correct. Players accrue a year of service time if they are optioned for less than 20 days total in a given year. I don't see anything matching the situation you are describing.

We don't really know what innings limits the O's are using. You could be right. I am not saying I know whether they are limiting him to 160 or 170 or 180.

Buck has now told us that Gausman goes into the rotation right after the All-Start break. I think he stays in a five man rotation until the first of September. Then the O's roster expands and the O's go to a six man rotation. That stretches out Gausman's innings. Gausman is projected to stay in the rotation through the playoffs. Hopefully right through the World Series.

I think it does show that they mishandled his innings last year. He should have been able to handle a fair bit more of a workload then he did.

The fact that some people think this is about service time is comical. What other option do they have? The Orioles played in 30 innings I believe in two days. The bullpen was worn down and they needed another arm.

Did you want them to send down a hitter? While visiting an NL team and go into that game with a 3 man bench?

Did you want them to send down a relieve when that's what they need most? Brad Brach was burned and not pitching last night. Did you want to send him down even though he could be used tonight and Gausman would be sitting on the bench? You could send down Gonzalez but why waste an option on him if you don't have to use it? This is about saving options that they don't need to use, and Gausman being the most logical send down in order for them to get the bullpen arm they needed. If Gausman doesn't understand that, then he isn't the team player that I was hoping he was.

Of course if it was about service time the O's wouldn't admit it.

I just did the math on the service time. I see what you are saying. The O's are very close to adding another year of club control for Gausman. They still need 2 days. Sending him down for 10 days does the trick.

So its innings limits and service time.

The fact that some people think this is about service time is comical. What other option do they have? The Orioles played in 30 innings I believe in two days. The bullpen was worn down and they needed another arm.

Did you want them to send down a hitter? While visiting an NL team and go into that game with a 3 man bench?

Did you want them to send down a relieve when that's what they need most? Brad Brach was burned and not pitching last night. Did you want to send him down even though he could be used tonight and Gausman would be sitting on the bench? You could send down Gonzalez but why waste an option on him if you don't have to use it? This is about saving options that they don't need to use, and Gausman being the most logical send down in order for them to get the bullpen arm they needed. If Gausman doesn't understand that, then he isn't the team player that I was hoping he was.

Gausman is not complaining. Its just some fans that are.

Archived