Orioles Trade Targets?

Nite

The Oriole's are 23rd in fWAR at 2B with a cumulative 0.1fWAR. They are 0.2fWAR away from 28th. Offensively they are the 3rd worst in baseball.

Schoop is 4th in all of the AL in TZR behind only Donaldson, Gordon and Seager. We can win with Schoop and Joseph because of their defense. But the blame for offense needs to go on Chris Davis.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is just flat out wrong.

Flaherty has been better than Schoop for a while now. It's insane how "untouchable" from criticism Schoop is on these boards considering how bad he's been. Instead, people crap on Flaherty, who isn't even the starter, when Schoop has struggled to have an OPS over .550 for almost 3 months.

Oh, and since the end of April, Flaherty's OPS is roughly .150 points higher than Schoop's. Give Flaherty the same amount of innings at 2nd as Schoop has and his defensive value goes up a ton and makes him just a shade worse than Schoop at 2nd, according to Fangraphs. Schoop is just an awful player that has been laughably terrible for 3 months now. He needs to go to the minors and learn how to hit.

Oh, and since the end of April, Flaherty's OPS is roughly .150 points higher than Schoop's. Give Flaherty the same amount of innings at 2nd as Schoop has and his defensive value goes up a ton and makes him just a shade worse than Schoop at 2nd, according to Fangraphs. Schoop is just an awful player that has been laughably terrible for 3 months now. He needs to go to the minors and learn how to hit.

Because April doesn't count?

They extended spring training this season and forget to tell me?

Didn't someone just post that we were 15th in WAR at 2nd base. I think we're ok there. The problem is Cruz has cooled off and Davis is lost. You know you're two big offensive positions First and DH are pretty cold right now.

15th in the AL! Not good!:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because April doesn't count?

They extended spring training this season and forget to tell me?

I guess you didn't read the rest of that sentence? Flaherty has been much better offensively this season than Schoop. Schoop has been incredibly bad. Flaherty has been pretty bad. Schoop's April is the only thing keeping his OPS above .550. Flaherty has been at a near .700 OPS since April. Schoop has gotten worse as the season has gone along and Flaherty has gotten better.

April does matter, but Flaherty has clearly been playing better these past 3 months while Schoop has gotten worse.

I guess you didn't read the rest of that sentence? Flaherty has been much better offensively this season than Schoop. Schoop has been incredibly bad. Flaherty has been pretty bad. Schoop's April is the only thing keeping his OPS above .550. Flaherty has been at a near .700 OPS since April. Schoop has gotten worse as the season has gone along and Flaherty has gotten better.

April does matter, but Flaherty has clearly been playing better these past 3 months while Schoop has gotten worse.

IMO, the upgrade from Schoop to Flaherty is not significant enough to forgo giving Schoop the ABs in 2014 in an effort to maximize future returns. But that's coming from someone who thinks the O's are going to win the East regardless of their 2nd baseman.

IMO, the upgrade from Schoop to Flaherty is not significant enough to forgo giving Schoop the ABs in 2014 in an effort to maximize future returns. But that's coming from someone who thinks the O's are going to win the East regardless of their 2nd baseman.

I'm with you on the last sentence. But I still think Flaherty gives the team a better chance to win. IMO Flaherty also has higher upside, at least this season. Flaherty has had 6 months with an OPS over .760. Schoop has never had an OPS above .675 in a month. And he's had 3 months below .625. He is consistently bad.

Flahert has also been pretty darn good from June through the end of the season in his career. In 307 career AB's in that time frame he has a .257 AVG, .329 OBP, 11 2B's, 16 HR, and 42 RBI. Not sure on the slugging percentage but that's very likely an OPS over .800. The guy rakes as the season goes along.

The point is - there's no reason to pick and choose what months to compare them. Choose the entire season. You are correct that Schoop hasn't hit well this season. Unfortunately, Flaherty isn't an adequate alternative.

He's a high upside guy that has control issues and is starting to reach the age where you aren't sure if he is going to figure it out in time. But he didn't reach the ranking he did because he didn't have high upside. He's fallen because it looks like he won't reach that upside.

Every Yanker prospect has "high upside," if you believe what you read. Most prove to suck, but they get great publicity before they fail.

Completely missed that the M's traded for Morales...funny: http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/07/mariners-acquire-kendrys-morales.html

Seems like for little of nothing too.

Kind of funny to me that very, very few posters fessed up to "missing" on the Morales question when I asked about such things. Especially considering the fact that more than a few people were still advocating for a Morales signing well into the summer months (i.e., after it was already clear that the O's have a glut of DH-types and no room for another).

The point is - there's no reason to pick and choose what months to compare them. Choose the entire season. You are correct that Schoop hasn't hit well this season. Unfortunately, Flaherty isn't an adequate alternative.

There is certainly reason to pick and choose, especially if said player has a little track record of sucking early, then getting hot-ish. Plus, the poster isn't just picking and choosing willy nilly. He is saying, after this point where flash was dreadful, he's been decent, and trending upwards. I don't really feel that strongly one way or the other, but I can't believe people are giving the poster crap, and he's getting snark from contrarian corn to boot. So he's weighting the most recent performance. Yes April " counts". But does April matter?

Archived