Orioles Trade Targets?

Nite

If they somehow got Perkins, he should absolutely be made the closer, IMO. Perkins has been striking out 11.48 batters per nine this season, and he's been above 9.48 for the last four seasons. Let Zach go back to being a fireman in that scenario.

I agree that Perkins should be made the closer if they could land him. I'd probably overpay a little, leaving out Bundy/Hunter/Gaus but making almost everyone else available on the farm. It would solve two problems, having a legit LHP out of the pen to work with Britton, and would give us only one black hole in the lineup at 2B. I wish some team thought they could salvage Matusz as a starter and wanted to pick him up and "fix" him.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lots of failed starters also fail as relievers.

Not everyone gets a bump in stuff out of the pen. Chen could be the same mostly league average guy out of the pen that he is in the rotation. Then all you are doing is lowering his value by drastically cutting the innings he pitches.

Do you view him as a serious trade chip? If not, why worry about his value? Why not think about it in terms of ridding the bullpen of Matusz? Chen doesn't exactly have a high bar to clear to make his move out of the rotation a net positive for the team going forward.

If they somehow got Perkins, he should absolutely be made the closer, IMO. Perkins has been striking out 11.48 batters per nine this season, and he's been above 9.48 for the last four seasons. Let Zach go back to being a fireman in that scenario.

Absolutely.

Not everyone gets a bump in stuff out of the pen. Chen could be the same mostly league average guy out of the pen that he is in the rotation. Then all you are doing is lowering his value by drastically cutting the innings he pitches.

Every team needs pitchers like Chen at the back of the rotation. People forget how cheap this guy has been, and how useful to this team. I don't get all the hate. Did people think we were getting an Ace when we signed him for 4M a year or whatever it was? He's been quite valuable to this team.

I agree that Perkins should be made the closer if they could land him. I'd probably overpay a little, leaving out Bundy/Hunter/Gaus but making almost everyone else available on the farm. It would solve two problems, having a legit LHP out of the pen to work with Britton, and would give us only one black hole in the lineup at 2B. I wish some team thought they could salvage Matusz as a starter and wanted to pick him up and "fix" him.

Alas, that seems unlikely. At least Arrieta threw pretty hard when he was traded. Matusz's stuff is middling.

It's not going to happen, IMO, because he has 10 wins (which is also stupid, IMO). It's a move I'd like to see, though.

And seriously, weams...do you think he'd be worse in the 'pen than Matusz? Get rid of Matusz, move Chen to the 'pen, have consistent room for Gausman without the bouncing around. And if DD gets another starter, you can strengthen the bullpen even further by moving Gonzo there.

Isn't the other issue that he takes forever to warm up? Doesn't work for RP's.

Yea, I know not all failed staters are relievers. But a lot of good relievers are guys who could not even make it as a starter. Chen can make it as a starter. Even if he doesn't get a bump in stuff, he is currently good enough to get guys out. Chen is a guy who sometimes seems to run out of gas, but has early success, so wouldn't it stand to reason he could be effective in two inning stints? But just for the record, I am not saying he should be moved, I was merely commenting on whether he could or not. So while you were only playing devils advocate, I would bet that you personally feel that Chen would probably be just fine in the pen. If you had to say one way or another, you would say Chen could succeed in that role.

Yeah, I can't imagine what they'd want as Suzuki is a rental and Perkins isn't exactly cheap, but he's been pretty darn consistent from year to year, not as volatile as some other relievers. He strikes guys out, and keeps the ball in the yard. He can certainly close if needed.

Suzuki as a rental might work in our favor as far as the potential cost in return. Hundley plus a prospect?

I do like Perkins, even as a 30 (31?) year old. You're right about the K's and HR's...doesn't appear to walk guys either. That would go pretty far to shortening the the game. Where DD and Buck want to put the guy certainly impacts what they'd want to give up...if it's the 9th it would be fairly high I guess.

Almost seems doable.

Isn't the other issue that he takes forever to warm up? Doesn't work for RP's.

I don't recall hearing much in re: how long it takes Chen to warm up. And I'm not really sure how being taken off a starter's workload would/wouldn't affect that.

Yea, I know not all failed staters are relievers. But a lot of good relievers are guys who could not even make it as a starter. Chen can make it as a starter. Even if he doesn't get a bump in stuff, he is currently good enough to get guys out. Chen is a guy who sometimes seems to run out of gas, but has early success, so wouldn't it stand to reason he could be effective in two inning stints? But just for the record, I am not saying he should be moved, I was merely commenting on whether he could or not. So while you were only playing devils advocate, I would bet that you personally feel that Chen would probably be just fine in the pen. If you had to say one way or another, you would say Chen could succeed in that role.

I think he is fine as our league average or better lefty starter. That's what I think.

As long as the O's have relievers that can get left handed hitters out I am not concerned with whether the O's get a lefties reliever.

O's pen vs lefties

Britton, 18.2 IP, 0.45 ERA

O'Day, 13.2 IP, 0.68 ERA

Webb, 14.2 IP, 1.84 ERA

McFarland, 13.2 IP, 1.98 ERA

Matusz, 16.2 IP. 2.70 ERA

Hunter, 16.2 IP, 3.24

and the only Guy who is not doing well vs lefties

Brach, 14 IP, 5.14 ERA

As long as the O's have relievers that can get left hand hitters out I am not concerned with whether the O's get a lefties reliever.

O's pen vs lefties

Britton, 18.2 IP, 0.45 ERA

O'Day, 13.2 IP, 0.68 ERA

Webb, 14.2 IP, 1.84 ERA

McFarland, 13.2 IP, 1.98 ERA

Matusz, 16.2 IP. 2.70 ERA

Hunter, 16.2 IP, 3.24

and the only Guy who is not doing well vs lefties

Brach, 14 IP, 5.14 ERA

Britton doesn't count. Because he has a role. You can't use him.

I think he is fine as our league average or better lefty starter. That's what I think.

Th?ts fine man. I do too. But there are two separate questions. Should he be moved to the bullpen for one reason or another? And, let's just say he was moved to th pen, do you think he'd be good?. The second one is where I come in. I thought it's was a no brainer that he would be good. You made a sarcastic remark to another poster who was suggesting he could pitch in the pen. Then c.o.c. Felt the need to point out that not all failed starters are good relievers. So I'm just saying, I'd bet that Chen would thrive in the pen if he was put there for whatever reason. So pointing out to me that he's a good starter, or that his value would decrease is not needed because I agree with that. But that's not what I'm saying.

Th?ts fine man. I do too. But there are two separate questions. Should he be moved to the bullpen for one reason or another? And, let's just say he was moved to th pen, do you think he'd be good?. The second one is where I come in. I thought it's was a no brainer that he would be good. You made a sarcastic remark to another poster who was suggesting he could pitch in the pen. Then c.o.c. Felt the need to point out that not all failed starters are good relievers. So I'm just saying, I'd bet that Chen would thrive in the pen if he was put there for whatever reason. So pointing out to me that he's a good starter, or that his value would decrease is not needed because I agree with that. But that's not what I'm saying.

I am not willing to experiment with putting the rotation's one lefty in the pen when he hasn't pitched there regularly since 2009. I would much rather acquire an upgrade for the pen then get whatever you can for Matusz.

Archived