vs. YANKEES, 7/11

OFFNY

• Replies 860
  • Created
  • Last Reply
oo

Ken Singleton and David Cone on YES were insinuating that Gonzalez hit Kelly Johnson intentionally, as retaliation for Oriole batters that were previously hit.

Singleton in particular has made similar claims in the past, which is why I find him particularly annoying when he announce Oriole-Yankee Games.

Here is a thread that I started 2 years ago about the matter:

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/119818-Singleton-Pitch-over-Nick-Johnson-s-Head-was-a-Purpose-Pitch

(FROM 2012:)

In the bottom of the first inning tonight, right after Freddy Garcia's pitch sailed over Nick Johnson's head, Ken Singleton chimed in. When he first started to say something, I was sure that he was going to say that that was NOT a purpose pitch with 2 runners on base in a 1-1 game. But he said the opposite. Even Michael Kay questioned Singleton, saying "You really think it was a purpose pitch?" Singleton said, "Yes. In light of Russell Martin claiming that Andino was stealing signs last night, followed by Andino's rant, Freddy Garcia isn't going to take that. Garcia just isn't going to take that."

Garcia wasn't going to take that? And with 2 runners on base, early in a 1-1 game?

I've already made my feelings known about Singleton showing a particular dislike for the Orioles when he announces Oriole-Yankee games on YES. This is an example of my perception of this.

As a Yankee announcer, I would expect him to favor the home team, regardless of the fact that he played for the Orioles, the Expos and the Mets when he was a player. Almost all team announcers are homers to varying degrees. I just think that he does it a little more so when the Yankees play the Orioles.

o

On the other, after the 3rd Oriole was hit this game:

David Cone: "NO intent there."

It's strange how quick people are to carp about him and Chen.

The strange part is how incredibly inconsistent they are. And after being relatively consistent last year, Tillman has decided he wanted to join the inconsistent starting pitchers club. When they step on the mound in the first inning, you have NO CLUE if this is going to be a 9-run, 1.1 inning outing, or if they'll sniff a complete game and give up less than 3 runs. Worse, both possibilities are equally likely.

At least with some pitchers, the blowouts are very rare. With Orioles starters, with few exceptions in the past decade or so, having a terrible start is about as typical as going 6 innings and giving up 2 runs.

Miguel did great. I am proud to wear the shirt.

Speaking of shirts, Michael, Tony... O's Hangout shirts in the works?

Haven't posted lately, as I'm near 500. Also did the free MLB trial :) for the BoltonBob Mancave and kept it. Driving Cathy crazy :D, 8 games @ once (4 CromeCasted on TV, other 4 on computer + the 2 TV's and 3 computers ALSO ROLLING. Love it! :laughlol::laughlol: Looks like ESPN War Room! :D:D:

Coming North SOON for game.

Speaking of shirts, Michael, Tony... O's Hangout shirts in the works?

Haven't posted lately, as I'm near 500. Also did the free MLB tri l:) for the BoltonBob Mancave and kept it. Driving Cathy crazy :D, 8 games @ once (4 CromeCasted on TV, other 4 on computer + the 2 TV's and 3 computesr ALSO ROLLING. Love irt! :laughlol::laughlol: Looks like ESPN War Room! :D:D:

Coming North SOON for game.

Not sure about the shirts. Never heard.

The strange part is how incredibly inconsistent they are. And after being relatively consistent last year, Tillman has decided he wanted to join the inconsistent starting pitchers club. When they step on the mound in the first inning, you have NO CLUE if this is going to be a 9-run, 1.1 inning outing, or if they'll sniff a complete game and give up less than 3 runs. Worse, both possibilities are equally likely.

At least with some pitchers, the blowouts are very rare. With Orioles starters, with few exceptions in the past decade or so, having a terrible start is about as typical as going 6 innings and giving up 2 runs.

Trust me, that is not an Orioles-specific problem.

Archived